advertisement

Arkless 640P "Dr T Mode"/current input version interest check

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the actual cost will be £500 (though it's going to be a few hundred, as the transformer itself is nearly £100).
Just a bit of an update. I believe the cost has come out at around £350, in a smart aluminium box. I’ve now heard the finished article and, compared to mine in a steel box Steve had lying around, the new one offers further improvements in energy and natural dynamics, tunefulness and timing. I’m getting mine rebuilt into an aluminium box as we speak. Steve has finished a handful of these and I believe they are on their way to those customers. I hope these folk will share their impressions on here, once they’ve installed them.

Just a bit of an update. I believe the cost has come out at around £350, in a smart aluminium box. I’ve now heard the finished article and, compared to mine in a steel box Steve had lying around, the new one offers further improvements in energy and natural dynamics, tunefulness and timing. I’m getting mine rebuilt into an aluminium box as we speak. Steve has finished a handful of these and I believe they are on their way to those customers. I hope these folk will share their impressions on here, once they’ve installed them.
Will do. Just waiting on my final invoice from Steve and delivery. Might take me a while to post on here. Busy in the run to Christmas.

I received my power supply from Steve today. I have partnered it with my Arkless GTi Turbo Dr T mode stage. I haven't had much of a listen yet, but it is already clear that it provides a significant improvement; greater detail in the upper registers and good firm defined bass with a nice expansive sound stage. With the original wall wart, the sound was softer and less defined.

More listening over the weekend, but first impressions are very good. I don't think it's quite up there with my Trilogy 907 (which replaced the Arkless in my main system) but the Arkless has been switched off for months and the power supply is new, so who knows what might happen once everything has had a chance to warm up and bed in.

Sorry if I missed this, but can Steve’s magic be worked on the vanilla Arkless/Cambridge?

I’ve had one of Steve’s power supplies hooked up to the Arkless GTI Turbo for a week or so now and have been able to do direct comparisons with the standard wall wart. I would describe the difference as subtle, but noticeable improvement. I’m useless at describing this type of stuff but there seems to be a bit more detail, clarity and “air” or “space” in the midrange and upper frequencies. I‘m very happy with my purchase. (For reference, I’m using a Technics 1200GR with an ageing Dynavector dv20x2L.)

I’ve had one of Steve’s power supplies hooked up to the Arkless GTI Turbo for a week or so now and have been able to do direct comparisons with the standard wall wart. I would describe the difference as subtle, but noticeable improvement. I’m useless at describing this type of stuff but there seems to be a bit more detail, clarity and “air” or “space” in the midrange and upper frequencies. I‘m very happy with my purchase. (For reference, I’m using a Technics 1200GR with an ageing Dynavector dv20x2L.)
Do you mind telling us what the rest of your system is Spiderous?

I've been using my new transformer from Steve for a while now and must say I am very, VERY pleased.
I'm finding improvements in every area, particularly enjoying a lovely soundstage and also the incredible 'grip'
it brings to the sound.
I was quite happy with the Arkless as originally supplied but now feel with the new transformer it has been turned
into something quite wonderful.

advertisement

Back