advertisement

Arkless 640P "Dr T Mode"/current input version interest check

Just a quick thread resurrection with some comments that might be of interest to fellow Arkless GTI users. I remember, back in the day, Jez commenting that the regular CA wall-wart would be fine and didn’t need upgrading. It’s only a 12v transformer.

Anyway, a friend who builds stonkingly good valve amps, and I were having a listening session, comparing the Arkless GTI to his, highly modified Cairn Boost. We decided that, good though the Arkless definitely was, the Cairn had more of the boogie factor. (He’s an LP12 user). He pointed the finger of suspicion at the ferrite ring on the power lead. As it happens, I also have an Arkless Turbo, but only the one wall-wart (which isn’t an issue as I only use one phono stage at a time); I decided to get a second wall wart, and chose one with a higher power rating (1250 mA, 15VA) just for a bit of headroom. About a tenner, from Amazon, so no biggie if nothing happened. Aside from the higher current capability, it also turned out not to have a ferrite ring on the output, though this wasn’t something I noticed when I ordered it. Driving the GTI, this was miles better - it now more than held its own against the Cairn on fun factor, and was well ahead on other aspects of performance.

Encouraged by this, my friend offered to make me up a dedicated transformer box, using a top quality 12v EI transformer from the suppliers who make his amps’ output transformers. This one is very stiff, with barely any measurable sag under load. He also used shielded cable on the output side. Suffice to say, this has further elevated performance to the next level. Tighter timing, bass is tauter and better defined, timbres are richer, and there’s more space around and between the instruments. It’s a jazz lover’s dream and I’m blown away.

Thought I’d share this in case any other GTI users fancy experimenting with higher spec transformers.

Where do I send my money?

Where do I send my money?
If you’re serious, I’d be delighted to put you in touch with Steve Jackson who is the mate in question. He builds the best sounding valve amps I’ve ever heard. Hot Tubes, pretty much built to order. Not cheap, but stunning, as Roy Gregory and Martin Colloms are on record as saying. His expertise with transformers is extensive, and it’s made a significant difference to my little phono stage.

If you’re serious, I’d be delighted to put you in touch with Steve Jackson who is the mate in question. He builds the best sounding valve amps I’ve ever heard. Hot Tubes, pretty much built to order. Not cheap, but stunning, as Roy Gregory and Martin Colloms are on record as saying. His expertise with transformers is extensive, and it’s made a significant difference to my little phono stage.

Hi thanks, I’d be interested to know a cost please yes.

About a tenner, from Amazon, so no biggie if nothing happened. Aside from the higher current capability, it also turned out not to have a ferrite ring on the output, though this wasn’t something I noticed when I ordered it.

Can you put an amazon link to the power unit on here please?
I will give it ago.
Currently using the original unit that came with the new cambridge donor phono stage that I sent to Jez.
Pleased with the sound as it is. Happy to believe there is more to be had/heard.

(I have a none-GTI version MM arkless as well)

I have just exchanged emails with Steve Jackson, he says to keep the price down he will need to order a few boxes.
If anyone else is interested, he has given me permission to pass on his email to you, send me a PM and I'll forward it to you.

I love the idea of squeezing additional performance from what is already an excellent phono amp.

Here is Sue Pertwee-Tyr's post from above....

Just a quick thread resurrection with some comments that might be of interest to fellow Arkless GTI users. I remember, back in the day, Jez commenting that the regular CA wall-wart would be fine and didn’t need upgrading. It’s only a 12v transformer.

Anyway, a friend who builds stonkingly good valve amps, and I were having a listening session, comparing the Arkless GTI to his, highly modified Cairn Boost. We decided that, good though the Arkless definitely was, the Cairn had more of the boogie factor. (He’s an LP12 user). He pointed the finger of suspicion at the ferrite ring on the power lead. As it happens, I also have an Arkless Turbo, but only the one wall-wart (which isn’t an issue as I only use one phono stage at a time); I decided to get a second wall wart, and chose one with a higher power rating (1250 mA, 15VA) just for a bit of headroom. About a tenner, from Amazon, so no biggie if nothing happened. Aside from the higher current capability, it also turned out not to have a ferrite ring on the output, though this wasn’t something I noticed when I ordered it. Driving the GTI, this was miles better - it now more than held its own against the Cairn on fun factor, and was well ahead on other aspects of performance.

Encouraged by this, my friend offered to make me up a dedicated transformer box, using a top quality 12v EI transformer from the suppliers who make his amps’ output transformers. This one is very stiff, with barely any measurable sag under load. He also used shielded cable on the output side. Suffice to say, this has further elevated performance to the next level. Tighter timing, bass is tauter and better defined, timbres are richer, and there’s more space around and between the instruments. It’s a jazz lover’s dream and I’m blown away.

Thought I’d share this in case any other GTI users fancy experimenting with higher spec transformers.

I will give it ago.
Currently using the original unit that came with the new cambridge donor phono stage that I sent to Jez.
Pleased with the sound as it is. Happy to believe there is more to be had/heard.

Apologies, I thought it was from Amazon, but it turns out it wasn't. After some head-scratching, I remember it coming from an online supplier of power supplies. Can't find the details just now, but will continue to look.

I will give it ago.

Apologies, I thought it was from Amazon, but it turns out it wasn't. After some head-scratching, I remember it coming from an online supplier of power supplies. Can't find the details just now, but will continue to look.
Found it! It was this one:

1250ma 12v 15VA AC/AC (AC Output) Power Adaptor (poweradaptorsuk.co.uk)

@Colin123 -- do you have a rough idea of the cost?

I'm interested, but I'm in the US and not sure if building one for 115v would be a deal-breaker.

@Colin123 -- do you have a rough idea of the cost?

I'm interested, but I'm in the US and not sure if building one for 115v would be a deal-breaker.

Hi Joe,
I have as much idea as you, I contacted Steve with an interest in the power supply and he replied saying there was some interest already and he would wait for any further enquiries from forum members. Once he has an idea of numbers he will be able to price it.

Hope that helps.
I'll pm you his email.

And did it improve things, please? I've enjoyed my basic MM Arkless for some time, and would like to improve it of poss.
I don’t think that one offers anything more than the regular CA unit. In fact, it seems like it’s less powerful - the CA unit is about 650mA.

Thanks, Sue, it's currently warming up, not that that's necessary of course ;-), but initial listening via my SR325X phones suggest some improvement, I just need to decide which records to play. Slightly surprised to find the supplier is just a few miles away.

advertisement

Back