advertisement

Are you optimistic about the UK's future?

The increase in numbers of food banks is not an example that works with the tories. I’ve been informed here it is people volunteering to help in a food bank that has created the increase in numbers of food banks. Well, people such as myself being prepared to volunteer in a food bank may well have enabled more to exist, but the increased need for food banks has been created by the tory party.

Vote them out in 2024 to have anything done about it.

Have to book to get in where I want to go here, even a quick supper in the pub. I can’t begin to imagine the tax burden on restaurants etc. VAT, business rates, employers NI / pension contributions and if they’re lucky, corp tax. Let alone the increased cost of utilities, staff and raw materials. You can see why it’s so expensive to go out now, yet everywhere seems full. Must be plenty of money around.
Yes, there is plenty of money around. There’s oodles of the stuff. The problem is that is flowing freely towards the rich and restricted for the poor. Which is why the rich are getting richer at the same time as the poor are getting poorer.

It is the poor getting poorer that is the subject of this thread. The rich getting richer are causal to that problem

Fascinating insight here on the way the Bank of England is behaving at the moment from Richard Murphy a well respected left inclined economist. His view is the Bank is deliberately raising interest rates and screwing the populous but helping banks make more money.
https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog...of-this-year-just-to-force-up-interest-rates/

I'd say he's about right as I have alluded to several times on here already. There's no other logical explanation really.

From what I’ve seen this year, restaurants in London and elsewhere along with hotels, are packed with tourists because the pound is so low against the $ and €. Britain is a cheap destination but very expensive for the inhabitants.

Yet outside Henley just under three million people in the UK use foodbanks. In fact this is the perfect graph to plot 14 years of Tory rule (Statistica). That is Conservative Party ideology in its clearest possible visual form. The cruelty is the point.

I don’t know what the answer is Tony but sense the food bank issue is due to everything else increasing in cost, not that food is necessarily expensive. We had a govt handing out money like never before during Covid, paying people’s wages, and now energy bills etc. Left wing policies from a conservative govt. Now we’re suffering the hangover from that.

Fascinating insight here on the way the Bank of England is behaving at the moment from Richard Murphy a well respected left inclined economist. His view is the Bank is deliberately raising interest rates and screwing the populous but helping banks make more money.
https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog...of-this-year-just-to-force-up-interest-rates/

We had over a decade of ‘emergency’ interest rates. Pre 2008, 5% was seen as a historic low level. Seems we’ll quite possibly see a reversion to mean.

Richard Murphy is excellent, though to be pedantic for a moment, I don’t think he’s left inclined. If you asked him if his economics were left or right, he would say ‘neither’, he is just describing ‘what is’. He is just saying how things work in the real world.

I don’t know what the answer is Tony but sense the food bank issue is due to everything else increasing in cost, not that food is necessarily expensive. We had a govt handing out money like never before during Covid, paying people’s wages, and now energy bills etc. Left wing policies from a conservative govt. Now we’re suffering the hangover from that.
To suggest that Food banks are caused by government “handing out money” is ridiculous

We had over a decade of ‘emergency’ interest rates. Pre 2008, 5% was seen as a historic low level. Seems we’ll quite possibly see a reversion to mean.
High interest rates benefit the rich and cost the poor.

To suggest that Food banks are caused by government “handing out money” is ridiculous

Govts have continually kicked the can down the road since 2008 and not allowed failure. This policy makes everything more expensive for everyone.

Richard Murphy is excellent, though to be pedantic for a moment, I don’t think he’s left inclined. If you asked him if his economics were left or right, he would say ‘neither’, he is just describing ‘what is’. He is just saying how things work in the real world.
I say left inclined because he advises Unions and the Labour party on economic policy. I have a lot of time for his reading of economics, much more sensible than the nonsense pedalled by the right wing.

We have a Tory government that has absolutely ruined the UK and have destroyed millions of people’s lives. There is nothing ‘left wing’ about that. This is Tory ideology. Siphon money from the working poor, dismantle the state, give to the rich. £millions for Hancock and Mone, wealthy folk like you don’t pay the taxes you should, people die of poverty out of your field of view in Burnley, Oldham, Hull etc. It is exactly what you voted for.

I say left inclined because he advises Unions and the Labour party on economic policy. I have a lot of time for his reading of economics, much more sensible than the nonsense pedalled by the right wing.
Yes, agree. Another chance to gratuitously plug Money For Nothing, as an antidote for all those who are not propelled by the peddled nonsense put out at us by the right wing.

Nonsense

it is 250% higher than BoE own target rate. Higher interest rates benefit the already wealthy at the expense of the poor.

As I said, reversion to mean. The ramifications of emergency low rates have been widespread, including the explosion of BTL landlords.

As I said, reversion to mean. The ramifications of emergency low rates have been widespread, including the explosion of BTL landlords.
Simply not true.

52934010916_ee511287ce_w.jpg

advertisement

Back