advertisement

Are microwaves bad for you?

When it comes to health I adopt the precautionary principle: IF IN DOUBT, DON'T. So far, at age 79 it has done me well.

I have read so many adverse reports on microwave ovens that I now recommend to everyone I meet that owns one that they unplug it, cut off the mains cord, then smash it up with a club hammer before dumping it in the rubbish; so that no one else can use it.

Just one report I have read (and trust):
Chemical Changes Produce Toxins and Reduce Nutritional Benefits
While the probability of hearing loss may be remote, the likelihood of chemical changes in food cooked in a microwave is far higher. Microwaving alters the food's chemical structure and begins in areas with the highest water concentration. As water is not uniformly present throughout your food, it is frequently unevenly heated. Knowledge of the changes to food from microwave heating has dramatically increased from the time the appliance was first introduced.

For example, using any type of plastic container opens up the probability that chemicals like BPA will leach into the food, contaminating it with hormone disrupting chemicals. High heat, such as in microwave ovens, may also produce heterocyclic amines (HCAs), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and advanced glycation end products (AGEs), each of which are known carcinogens.14

Research into nutritional changes related to thawing, cooking or reheating foods in a microwave is slowly demonstrating that altering the chemical structure of food using microwave radiation likely also damages nutrients. One study found microwaved broccoli lost up to 97 percent of beneficial antioxidants,15 while as little as 60 seconds inactivated all the allinase in garlic, the active ingredient against cancer.16

A Scandinavian study found microwaving asparagus reduced vitamin C17 and a Japanese study found six minutes of heating rendered up to 40 percent of B12 in milk inert.18 Researchers have also discovered microwaves cause a higher degree of "protein unfolding" than conventional heating19 and will destroy essential disease-fighting agents in breast milk that help protect your baby.20 For this reason, and because microwaving may cause the milk to get excessively hot and may burn your baby, NEVER heat breast milk in the microwave.

Microwave Radiation Triggers Massive Mitochondrial Dysfunction

Microwave radiation is a form of electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation that is common to cellphones, Wi-Fi routers and microwave ovens. EMFs are a pernicious health hazard that affects your body at the cellular level, causing massive mitochondrial dysfunction through free radicals from peroxynitrite. This short video with Martin Pall, Ph.D., is an introduction to an hourlong interview where we discuss the damage EMF triggers.

Pall has identified and published research describing the likely molecular mechanisms of how EMFs damage plants, animals and humans.21,22,23,24 His research demonstrates exposure to EMF radiation opens voltage-gated calcium channels in your cells’ membranes, allowing a massive influx of calcium into your cells.

Excess intracellular calcium increases calcium signaling and increases nitric oxide (NO) to massively excessive amounts that interact with superoxide. While lower amounts of NO have beneficial health effects, larger quantities trigger a reaction that forms peroxynitrite, an extremely potent oxidant stressor.

It is important to state that not all oxidative stress is harmful. Your body requires a baseline of free radicals for optimal health. NO, for example, is a free radical that has several beneficial effects when produced in moderation. NO helps reduce your blood pressure, support your immune system and naturally reduces platelet aggregation that reduces your risk for heart attack and stroke. The problem occurs with excessive oxidative stress that can be triggered by exposure to microwave EMF radiation.

Enjoy your raw food, cooked food, but please, throw your microwave away.

Eguth

where are the large scale studies to show the impact?

Meanwhile, this shall make me use my microwave more.....i shall be reheating a doner kebab from a few days ago.

where are the large scale studies to show the impact?

Meanwhile, this shall make me use my microwave more.....i shall be reheating a doner kebab from a few days ago.

Well, the large scale study might be considered to be that almost everybody (or huge numbers) eats microwaved food daily and as far as I know health has improved compared to times before microwaves.

All those chemical changes quoted above I expect can be achieved by ordinary cooking/heating as well...Microwaves are used for superheating in chemical reactions, but that's mostly for convenience, there are some reactions that are catalysed by microwaves and hence such scare stories and studies should you want to produce them are possible...but my guess is you could produce similar scare stories about frying, BBQ, ovens, etc.

Last edited:
Scare stories or not, I would never use a microwave in our home again. Same goes for BBQ's, do not want to eat food where the fat has dripped on the coals and the burnt fat fumes taints the meat.

Bloss

you could produce similar scare stories about frying, BBQ, ovens, etc.
Not scare stories at all, actual health issues relating to the formation of acrylamide in fried foods and a (to date) voluntary agreement on maximal levels. Crisps are badly affected by this. Compared to frying, microwaves are very mild. The temperatures involved are much lower, reactions less severe.

We've just bought one of those air fryer thingys that only needs a teaspoon of oil. Are they safe?

There is a story, possibly apocryphal, about microwave ovens coming about after a worker had been near a radar dish doing some adjustments when a chocolate bar in his pocket melted...

There is a story, possibly apocryphal, about microwave ovens coming about after a worker had been near a radar dish doing some adjustments when a chocolate bar in his pocket melted...

Another apocryphal one (probably): There were some high power point to point (line of sight) microwave data links about 15 years ago that killed lots of pigeons. Possibly they may have nested nearby, but one version has them flying through the beam and being killed instantly.

I am now eating my microwave sponge cake with some micro wave custard. If I die tonight, goodbye it's been fun.

if you believe wiki

In 1945, the specific heating effect of a high-power microwave beam was accidentally discovered by Percy Spencer, an American self-taught engineer from Howland, Maine. Employed by Raytheon at the time, he noticed that microwaves from an active radar set he was working on started to melt a candy bar he had in his pocket. The first food deliberately cooked with Spencer's microwave was popcorn, and the second was an egg, which exploded in the face of one of the experimenters.[9][10] To verify his finding, Spencer created a high density electromagnetic field by feeding microwave power from a magnetron into a metal box from which it had no way to escape. When food was placed in the box with the microwave energy, the temperature of the food rose rapidly. On 8 October 1945, Raytheon filed a United States patent application for Spencer's microwave cooking process, and an oven that heated food using microwave energy from a magnetron was soon placed in a Boston restaurant for testing.[11]

from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven

if you believe wiki

In 1945, the specific heating effect of a high-power microwave beam was accidentally discovered by Percy Spencer, an American self-taught engineer from Howland, Maine. Employed by Raytheon at the time, he noticed that microwaves from an active radar set he was working on started to melt a candy bar he had in his pocket. The first food deliberately cooked with Spencer's microwave was popcorn, and the second was an egg, which exploded in the face of one of the experimenters.[9][10] To verify his finding, Spencer created a high density electromagnetic field by feeding microwave power from a magnetron into a metal box from which it had no way to escape. When food was placed in the box with the microwave energy, the temperature of the food rose rapidly. On 8 October 1945, Raytheon filed a United States patent application for Spencer's microwave cooking process, and an oven that heated food using microwave energy from a magnetron was soon placed in a Boston restaurant for testing.[11]

from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven

Indeed. Microwaves are absorbed by dipolar molecules such as water and this causes the molecules to spin and vibrate. You may remember some elementary science from your schooldays that explained that vibrating particles are detected as heat. The more they vibrate the hotter the substance becomes. Microwaves are just one part of the electromagnetic spectrum that is used in spectroscopy or perhaps I should more correctly say photons.

Cheers,

DV

Microwave cooked food kills you, but luckily for the manufacturers our mobile phones have also cooked our brains and made us so stupid we haven't spotted the problem with the food.

Microwave radiation is a form of electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation that is common to cellphones, Wi-Fi routers and microwave ovens. EMFs are a pernicious health hazard that affects your body at the cellular level, causing massive mitochondrial dysfunction through free radicals from peroxynitrite.

That is such a sweeping statement as to become meaningless drivel.

The nerves which you have in your brain and through your body all use 'EMF' to operate. As do your muscles. You wouldn't be able to see without 'EMF'. So if any 'EMF' bothers you, you'd need to be dead to avoid them. 8-]

What may matter is the specific type of field and its intensity. You use lights in your house so you can see during the night. But I would not suggest using a kW laser to read a book. And the 'EMF' you are getting from Radio 4 longwave probably won't do much compared to a blast of gamma rays.

Like all such matters, judgement should be based on being able to understand the relevant details. Not by copying out of scary articles that don't make such distinctions plain.

well my microwave sponge and custard didn't kill me, in fact I think my cold is a tad better. This proves that microwaved food is not only healthy but has curative properties.

Eat more microwaved food. For it'll be a jacket potato (microwaved of course) topped with heated baked beans (in the microwave)

I may be remembering the details poorly but didn’t Obama hide in a microwave oven in Trump Tower to spy on The Donald?

I think it stems from a time when the admistration’s comments weren’t as outlandish.

Joe

advertisement

Back