advertisement

Are microwaves bad for you?

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
I've read online that microwaves are bad for your health and just wondered If there Is any truth In It?

Marley,

Per quanta? No. Microwaves are low-energy electromagnetic radiation, longer in wavelength and lower in energy than visible light. In fact, microwaves are longer in wavelength and lower in energy than infrared radiation. Being exposed to microwave radiation is not like being exposed to UV, X-rays or gamma rays, the kind of radiation that ionizes and can cause cancer.

emspectrum.gif

But you could burn yourself if exposed to microwave radiation, if you somehow managed to fit into a microwave oven and shut the door.

Joe

Did you stick any part of your body in one ?
I think you're confusing them with another sort of domestic appliance here. And in that context, vacuum cleaners are certainly bad for your health. Especially the Hoover Dustette (IIRC) which had the suction fan close to the end of the nozzle...

Could you clarify the question?
Microwave ovens ? Or communication towers / microwave dishes / cellphones ?
If ovens are you concerned about leakage or about microwaves making the food less wholesome ?

I've read online that microwaves are bad for your health and just wondered If there Is any truth In It?

It's bad for my hamsters health and my hearing, it was such a loud pop it set off my tinnitus!

BTW that was a joke i'd never put a hamster in the microwave!

I prefer the classic french technique of confit as it retains the delicate hamster flavor... and if you were wondering yes they do taste hammy, that's why their called hamsters.

Here's one i prepared earlier...

MeaslyVengefulFrillneckedlizard-max-1mb.gif

If were talking microwave ovens here then I can’t think of any reason why they would be. They simply excite the water molecules in your food, it can’t cause you any harm. On the other hand, some microwave meals are less than ideal, having high fat and salt content... but that’s not the fault of the microwave.

Microwave ovens can leak around the door seals if they are neglected and as such anything in close proximity to the door seal will be excited ( ie. cooked ).

Rgds
Stuart

I remember a radio programme on the then new fashion of microwave ovens reminding users to leave the food to rest for a few moments after cooking as "the microwaves are still cooking the food for a while after you switch off".

and yet i can't help finding myself mildly concerned when there are thirty wifi networks showing up on my ipad ... it can't be GOOD for you

Microwave ovens can leak around the door seals if they are neglected and as such anything in close proximity to the door seal will be excited ( ie. cooked ).

Rgds
Stuart
They don’t have seals, if they can’t get through the perforated grid, they can’t get round the edges of the door. They also only travel in one direction unless they are deflected, microwave ovens actually employ a revolving deflector to disperse the waves which is hidden behind a non metallic cover.

I can sell you a tin foil helmet
I was about to say that the kind of people who create “evidence” that microwave ovens are bad for you, also try to convince us that no planes hit the twin towers, that the government created false footage and that nobody really witnessed them hit... unless you meant a tin foil helmet to shield people from microwaves.

I was about to say that the kind of people who create “evidence” that microwave ovens are bad for you, also try to convince us that no planes hit the twin towers, that the government created false footage and that nobody really witnessed them hit... unless you meant a tin foil helmet to shield people from microwaves.

I intended both actually - with the former I am getting an increasing list of people on here who might need them. Actually I am sure I can source a delux sheep skin lined one for all the vegans!

I recall from my childhood TV programmes that claimed microwaves leaked microwave radiation and that they can cause cataracts......whether it is true I do not know.

They don’t have seals, if they can’t get through the perforated grid, they can’t get round the edges of the door. They also only travel in one direction unless they are deflected, microwave ovens actually employ a revolving deflector to disperse the waves which is hidden behind a non metallic cover.

That`s a rather simplistic view of RF propagation, if you don`t mind my saying.

Speaking of tinfoil, I once put some butter in the microwave to soften it up. What I’d forgotten was that the butter was wrapped in foil covered paper (Lurpak if you must know). The resulting fireworks were quite spectacular, as was the butter bursting into flames.

That`s a rather simplistic view of RF propagation, if you don`t mind my saying.
Maybe so, but it’s true that they don’t leak around the edge of the door, the only way they would leak is if the grid were to be damaged... And microwaves only radiate from the front of a magnetron, not the back, and waves that do travel back will be reflected. If microwave ovens didn’t employ a deflector, you’d just get hot spots due to the directional nature of microwaves.

advertisement

Back