advertisement

Are Linn Kans and LS3/5As similar?

I think I read somewhere that Kans originated when a batch of unused LS3/5A boxes became available?

They used surplus Chartwell LS3/5a cabinets, later to be replaced by chipboard cabinets.
Whether the surplus cabinets prompted Linn to make the Kan I couldn’t say.

There are those who say the Kan should never have seen the light of day !
I really couldn’t comment...

The problem with Kans Is they were too good for the time they were made - too revealing of the rough equipment used upstream of them. LS3/5a took the rough edge off anything they were used with.
Was thinking of getting some LS3/5a to help send my baby to sleep.

One of the best demos I ever went was with Kans - it was by Derek Whittington in Loughborough back in the 1980s when he had his company there. I can't remember which amp he used at first but it was front ended by an LP12. He later used a small Arcam Alpha which showed what could be achieved on a pretty tight budget but insisted the front end had to be the best part. He also used a new Royd speaker but can't remember which model - he was very clever at choosing music to bring the best out of a particular system. I know several people who bought stuff from him after one of his demos and all were very pleased indeed - including me!

he was very clever at choosing music to bring the best out of a particular system.

I’d argue as a long-term Kan owner (and someone who can get them to sound very good!) that this is their failing. They can sound stunningly good with some types of music/recordings, but they are far from an all-rounder, e.g. they have next to no appeal to a classical listener, but if Steely Dan is your thing they are astonishing!

As a classical, jazz and acoustic music lover I think the Kans are probably the worst speaker I’ve ever heard - I’m obviously not including cheap “music centre” type of speakers. In fact my memory of them is so bad I wouldn’t mind having another listen to a pair as my memory might be exaggerating just how bad they were.

This is, basically, another LS3/5a / Kan thread which is dragging on.

Perhaps the original question,
‘Are Linn Kans and LS3/5as similar ?’ should be answered.

The answer is ‘NO.’

Hang on a minute; another thread on here concerning a Goodmans PA/instrument speaker pair got me to thinking that the Kan, mk1 especially, sounds very much like a small instrument speaker but with a tweeter bolted on.

And now that I think about that more, the Sara used to remind me of same. Back in the mid to late 60s, my best mate and I often ran his parents all-in-one stereo system through his 1962 Fender Twin via headphone out. Those memories came flooding back to me the first time I heard Saras on the end of Naim, except that the old Fender sounded far more natural.

IIRC, there used to be a fellow on here (and/or on the Naim forum) from Detroit MI, named Ron, who used a Kan as bass guitar practice speaker and loved it.

I’d argue as a long-term Kan owner (and someone who can get them to sound very good!) that this is their failing. They can sound stunningly good with some types of music/recordings, but they are far from an all-rounder, e.g. they have next to no appeal to a classical listener, but if Steely Dan is your thing they are astonishing!

We demoed Kan 1’s with Classical music all the time and they sounded stunning. We’d often finish the whole side of the album as they sounded so good.

Kans are brilliant for classical music says ‘John.’
No, says ‘Stunsworth’, they’re the worst speakers I’ve ever heard.
And so it goes on, and on...

We demoed Kan 1’s with Classical music all the time and they sounded stunning. We’d often finish the whole side of the album as they sounded so good.

Yes, but “stunning” compared to what? I notice that you have, like me, entirely abandoned the ‘flat earth’ loudspeaker presentation for something far more neutral and accurate.

And so it goes on, and on...

That's the way it is I'm a afraid; for what it's worth, I love 'em. I have two pairs; MK1's upstairs in the office and active MKII's downstairs. Obviously, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm convinced that those who hate them haven't heard them at their best; they are not the kind of speaker that can be hung on the end of a mediocre system, cos if you do, they'll sound horrible.

That's the way it is I'm a afraid; for what it's worth, I love 'em. I have two pairs; MK1's upstairs in the office and active MKII's downstairs. Obviously, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm convinced that those who hate them haven't heard them at their best; they are not the kind of speaker that can be hung on the end of a mediocre system, cos if you do, they'll sound horrible.

So what kind of system ?

I’d argue the room is the most important thing with Kans (and for that matter SBLs). If they are in a sympathetic room hard against a good solid wall and the stands are good and solidly sited then they’ll actually sound great with anything from a Nait I upwards unless you want more volume than a little speaker should ever be asked. I ran mine with everything from that to a 32.5/HiCap and 2x135 and I’ll still argue they are a great speaker for a really small room. I liked them so much I rebought a pair whenever I ended up back in a little flat.

advertisement

Back