advertisement

Are Linn Kans and LS3/5As similar?

I have Kan II (Kustone). Tried them with the nait 2 and they are fun but somehow a bit too forward for my taste.
Tried them with a Onix OA21S and IMO it is a far better match as it tames their forward midband whilst still providing enough energy and control to make them sound really good.
I also have Kan II kustones and this mirrors my experience. It's not unusual for any speaker to present a better balance with one amp than another. I don't find the Kans to be a special case. The forwardness of their presentation is highly exaggerated in my opinion. If one reads audio forums going back in time, they are regarded as some kind of devil speaker, eliciting either swoons or abhorrence. I didn't get on with the Kan I, but I think it was more to do with the tweeter quality than their overall balance. Both Kans one and two are not difficult to tweak into a system, assuming one has some suitable partnering equipment.

Kans weren't just developed using CB-era Naim amps, they're also voiced for a pre-Cirkus LP12. Combine the three with appropriate installation and you have my favourite system for rock/pop, folk and jazz.

My late Kan 1s still have a hint of squawkiness in the upper mid on some LPs but I don't notice it often. Also bear in mind there's some variance out there on the used market in terms of how well they've been looked after. These speakers are 30-40 years old and most unserviced so we're probably not hearing any of them quite as intended.

Last edited:
I have had many pairs of Linn Kan 1 and 2 and
as good as they are passive,active with Naim amps and
Naxo or Snaxo crossovers really transform them and make them go deeper wider tighter and cleaner and extremely musical.

I have never heard active LS3/5a,but I think they would also be much better without that crazy passive crossover.

I have had many pairs of Linn Kan 1 and 2 and
as good as they are passive,active with Naim amps and
Naxo or Snaxo crossovers really transform them and make them go deeper wider tighter and cleaner and extremely musical.

Yes indeed. I have a pair of active MkII's in the main system and a pair of passive MkI's upstairs in the office.

Enjoyed his music related posts. Playing some David Lindley in memory of his recommendation.

MI0000024766.jpg
Feckin-eck. When this image scrolled up from the bottom of the screen I THOUGHT IT WAS BENNY HILL IN A WIG!

advertisement

Back