advertisement

Are cans becoming more popular?

Mike Reed

pfm Member
I've noticed over the past three or so years that prices of some used cans (Senn. HD800 and Focal Utopia, e.g.) have increased and are selling, too. The latter has a new model revision, and normally that relegates the older model (of hifi generally) in the used market, but seemingly not for these cans.

There are more can-amps around now, as well as just so many manufacturers of cans. Is it just me, following certain models or is there a rising trend for headphone ownership?

I've noticed over the past three or so years that prices of some used cans (Senn. HD800 and Focal Utopia, e.g.) have increased and are selling, too. The latter has a new model revision, and normally that relegates the older model (of hifi generally) in the used market, but seemingly not for these cans.

There are more can-amps around now, as well as just so many manufacturers of cans. Is it just me, following certain models or is there a rising trend for headphone ownership?
Not sure. Check out the Classifieds on Head-Fi and higher end headphones can hang around unsold for quite a while.

I believe there's been a massive update in headphone usage. My local dealer is Unilet in New Malden. Last time I was in there, they'd setup a huge display wall of headphones. Certainly wasn't anything like that many options previously.
It's also shown by the number of expensive cans. 20 years ago, I didn't know of another brand besides Stax who were making >£1000 cans. Now, there's loads of them.

I recall about 20 years ago that many of us simply had inexpensive Goldring headphones used for occasional late-night listening - I suspect the growth in £1k+ headphones is related to wishing to hear high-res files in all their glory?

I suspect the growth in £1k+ headphones is related to wishing to hear high-res files in all their glory?

Or that + (1) change of circumstance, (2) different dwellings or listening spaces, (3) people hoping for a slice of the high end on a budget...

Check out the Classifieds on Head-Fi and higher end headphones can hang around unsold for quite a while.

I suspect headphones are a fairly tough second-hand sell due to the obvious hygiene aspect. Not something I’d personally want to buy second hand anyway (well, I did buy my vintage HD-414s used, but I thoroughly cleaned them and fitted brand new ear-pads).

Nonsense, I bet the neighbours Corry and Enders will drown out your Jazz albums, most of them will be halfway deaf, :p

I used to have an elderly neighbour on the otherside of the road and I could hear her telly...

I suspect headphones are a fairly tough second-hand sell due to the obvious hygiene aspect.

Must admit that I haven't considered that aspect but It certainly doesn't seem to apply to the 2 lots of cans I've been following for some time, i.e. Focal Utopia and Senn. HD 800 (or S). I don't think I've come across a pair which is even at the half-price mark, let alone below, as I would usually ascribe to other kit over 5 years old. Unless all sellers are quite content to sit it out, that is. Maybe it's just the popular/much hyped models that are almose used price fixed, as it were.

I suppose a younger demographic, changing personal situations and people not having the space they used to have has been driving up the market demand for high quality personal audio. I must also admit that headphone technology has become allot better and more accessible these days. In the Seventies and Eighties most headphones were nothing more than a small speaker drivers squeezed in an ear cup. We have come a long way since then. Yes, some of the more exotic stuff is beyond the reach of mere mortals and many of the younger generation would not be able to drop the cash on a set of Dan Clark Audio phones or a HiFiMan Susvara. But even some of the better Bluetooth phones when run off a cable can sound very musical while also being very accessible.

Personal Audio has made access to high quality music quite convenient and I for one quite welcome the ability to have a small high-quality DAC/Amp with a reasonable set of "cans" to make my workspace in the office a little more enjoyable. With phones I can also crank up volume without having to annoy the neighbours, I have been on the receiving end of inconsiderate city dwellers who like to watch movies on their home theater systems at movie theater volume levels when all the surrounding residents were trying to sleep. Using phones in this context is the considerate thing to do.

LPSpinner.

I too have a serious pair of headphones, but I find myself using my AirPods Pro 2 a lot more.
Go figure, as they say.

Must admit that I haven't considered that aspect but It certainly doesn't seem to apply to the 2 lots of cans I've been following for some time, i.e. Focal Utopia and Senn. HD 800 (or S). I don't think I've come across a pair which is even at the half-price mark, let alone below, as I would usually ascribe to other kit over 5 years old. Unless all sellers are quite content to sit it out, that is. Maybe it's just the popular/much hyped models that are almose used price fixed, as it were.

Out of interest, what would be a reasonable price for a 4 year old used Utopia assuming near mint condition?

Out of interest, what would be a reasonable price for a 4 year old used Utopia assuming near mint condition?

Just after I bought mine (recently) from eBay, another pair, along with supplementary cables (balanced) came on at £1850 BIN/offer. Maybe still on. These 2 are the cheapest I've found in quite a few months of looking. Shall put my experience as a thread on 'Headphones' soon as I have a moment, as it wasn't a straightforward purchase. Don't think I've seen Utopias below £1800 on eBay over the past year and chap on here wanted £2K for his, so presume this is more or less the benchmark used base price, esp. looking at HiFi Shark etc.

Last edited:
… and chap on here wanted £2K for his, so presume this is more or less the benchmark used base price ...

Interesting insight, thanks. There appears to be a good supply of the used utopias on the market due to the release of the revised mode. I am looking to sell so have priced mine just below the 2k mark. Fingers crossed.

Headphone's have been getting more popular with younger folks for at least 15 years now. I suspect the market for good headphones exceeds the market for the more traditional stereo.

advertisement

Back