advertisement

Are Brassica's a Labrador's equivalent to crack cocaine?

Went into a patisserie last year and noticed that everything was priced at 50p except one lot in the corner at £1. Upon enquiring why, the baker said 'oh; they're Madeira cakes'.

Curry? We have a rule - it's 'no chilli'. Not because of any incidents in the past, just that we don't want to find out.

It's interesting to hear about all the views on Labs and other dogs. So it seems like Dan just like other dogs. Dan pounces on everything and we were told by his trainer that he was a scavenger. The only problem I had with his behaviour was when he found horse poo and eat it before I could moving him away. It was the way he licked his lips afterwards that I couldn't get my head around...

Dan has now gone on holiday before he joins up with his new family as an autism support dog for a10 year old child. We have Peter coming to us for a few months who is also a black Lab.

When I was a child we had a Labrador who would lurk under the dining room table at meal times waiting for stuff to fall on the floor. I would amuse myself by giving her a spoonful of horseradish or mustard. She never gave up on it despite much sneezing.

It's interesting to hear about all the views on Labs and other dogs. So it seems like Dan just like other dogs. Dan pounces on everything and we were told by his trainer that he was a scavenger. The only problem I had with his behaviour was when he found horse poo and eat it before I could moving him away. It was the way he licked his lips afterwards that I couldn't get my head around...

My first Lab Toby, as a older puppy, decided on one of our walks to try every type of crap he could find on the walk. He promptly threw it up in the back of my car on the way home. I wasn't amused, yet oddly he never did it again. Our current two have the occasional hankering for fresh horse poo but I think it 's grass thing, they love freshly mown grass too.

The best one was a while back with the current two. Our smaller cat brings a half-dead rodent to the door, Lab no.1 promptly starts chewing it up and can't believe her luck, then she throws it up, other Lab thinks "are you going to eat that?" and finishes it all. Disgusting things sometimes. Their sheer enthusiasm for life makes up for it.

Some strange comments...…. Dogs are domesticated wolves. Wolves are meat-based omnivores (as are foxes), so will eat what comes their way.

Much will be lost in the writing, rather than in the telling in person, but one of the funniest tales from my in-laws kennel-keeping days was about a Goldie pup. All their dogs had kennel names from Greek and Roman mythology, his name was Mithras and as it works as a pet name, it was that too. They must have just left for ring training classes.

Young son on back seat with Mithras. Retching sound comes from back. "Oh mum, mithy's been sick.....pause...…….. its a mole, mum!!" " Don't be ridiculous." Mum looks over to the back seat. "It's a mole"

He had found and swallowed a whole mole, but not for long.

Oh Lord, I can almost see the vein on Mike’s temple starting to throb violently...

Punctuating a labrador is tantamount to linguistic possessiveness. The veins in my leg are close together; yes, they're very close veins (t'ink about it) :)

Chubbly will eat pretty much anything that he has seen at some point on a human plate.

Watching an alsatian pick his way through a mixed salad and separating out the rocket (which is the only thing he turns his nose up at) is quite amusing.

My first Lab Toby, as a older puppy, decided on one of our walks to try every type of crap he could find on the walk. He promptly threw it up in the back of my car on the way home. I wasn't amused, yet oddly he never did it again. Our current two have the occasional hankering for fresh horse poo but I think it 's grass thing, they love freshly mown grass too.

The best one was a while back with the current two. Our smaller cat brings a half-dead rodent to the door, Lab no.1 promptly starts chewing it up and can't believe her luck, then she throws it up, other Lab thinks "are you going to eat that?" and finishes it all. Disgusting things sometimes. Their sheer enthusiasm for life makes up for it.

My older lab caught a young rat when she was about 1 year old....she retrieved it (dead) and dropped it for me to praise her. As I was contemplating where to dispose of it in the garden, she clearly got bored and took the decision away from me by swallowing it whole... ratachewy for tea...

advertisement

Back