advertisement

Are Brassica's a Labrador's equivalent to crack cocaine?

Our Lab is 18 months old now and she's our 3rd. Eats anything, just like the last 2. Labrador's are a stomach on legs.
Our friend and neighbour trains dogs for a hobby, & breeds quite a few. All our dogs have come from him, but in our hands they soon lose the desire to obey! His son's just qualified as a vet, which is rather handy (we inherited his young black lab., as he was going to be away from home a lot), & he was telling us that labs have a gene that makes them more or less insatiably hungry. A bit sad really.

Our friend and neighbour trains dogs for a hobby, & breeds quite a few. All our dogs have come from him, but in our hands they soon lose the desire to obey! His son's just qualified as a vet, which is rather handy (we inherited his young black lab., as he was going to be away from home a lot), & he was telling us that labs have a gene that makes them more or less insatiably hungry. A bit sad really.
I’ve heard that too, Tony.

Luckily, we feed our dogs on a diet of raw (real) food so it’s not too difficult keeping them looking slim and in good health.

Our black lab loves raw carrots and green beans. However, she’s not greedy at all. I can leave an open bag of treats next to her bed overnight and she won’t touch them. She’s a working lab, I’ve noticed significant food behavioural differences to show labs.

I’ve noticed significant food behavioural differences to show labs.

Probably genetics as show and trial lines have been largely separate for a long time. The major difference that I notice between trial and show is the lack of initiative (some would say brains) in trial dogs - bred to be blindly obedient to the nth degree. A friend bought two and found out the hard way how un-Lad-like they are when you are used to show stock.

Luckily, we feed our dogs on a diet of raw (real) food so it’s not too difficult keeping them looking slim and in good health.

Logic? Raw protein is more digestible than cooked (as opposed to carb's, which are more digestible when cooked).

Our black lab loves raw carrots and green beans. However, she’s not greedy at all. I can leave an open bag of treats next to her bed overnight and she won’t touch them. She’s a working lab, I’ve noticed significant food behavioural differences to show labs.
Our girl's also a trained gun dog, but that hasn't stood in her way from gobbling down anything remotely edible (and stuff that really isn't) she happens to come across! It's interesting, though, that the trained dogs we've inherited from our friend (they're only used as gun dogs for three years or so, then they start to get more easily distracted from the task in hand) don't enjoy playing, other than fetching things, which of course they're superb at. Throw a ball into the cornfield without them seeing where it goes & they'll keep searching until they find it. Here's our lab. at three years' old -

GQpUoI5.jpg

Our girl's also a trained gun dog, but that hasn't stood in her way from gobbling down anything remotely edible (and stuff that really isn't) she happens to come across! It's interesting, though, that the trained dogs we've inherited from our friend (they're only used as gun dogs for three years or so, then they start to get more easily distracted from the task in hand) don't enjoy playing, other than fetching things, which of course they're superb at. Throw a ball into the cornfield without them seeing where it goes & they'll keep searching until they find it. Here's our lab. at three years' old -

GQpUoI5.jpg

Just the best aren’t they!

When we rescued our pair we thought they were defective, they wouldn't go near water. I have a feeling their last owners got upset with them every time they got in a pond or foetid puddle. They've more than made up for it since.

GQpUoI5.jpg

Nice dog. What sort of breed is it? It looks Labrador retriever-y but a lot skinnier. ;):p

Probably genetics as show and trial lines have been largely separate for a long time. The major difference that I notice between trial and show is the lack of initiative (some would say brains) in trial dogs - bred to be blindly obedient to the nth degree. A friend bought two and found out the hard way how un-Lad-like they are when you are used to show stock.

Logic? Raw protein is more digestible than cooked (as opposed to carb's, which are more digestible when cooked).

Try this link as a start and do some googling if you really want to know more about the logic.

Paleo Ridge

Still hung up on brassica's in the thread title. Brassica's what? As a genus, I don't think there's a plural (mass noun, maybe?). Didn't know that swede is within that genus either. Have to say that doggie pic's beat brassica pic's any day; esp. labradors and retrievers but I'll stick to moggies as they don't desecrate cabbage and the like. Cabbage whites and pigeons are on my hit list as slugs and snails need a nocturnal killing spree.:D

Last edited:
Our Lab is 18 months old now and she's our 3rd. Eats anything, just like the last 2. Labrador's are a stomach on legs.
Absolutely. I've got espalier apple trees in the garden, and our boy would eat the fruit off the trees. He also broke into the fruit cage and stripped two cordon cherries together with a bed full of asparagus. He was also partial to curry, and would follow me round the kitchen on my return from the take away.

Last edited:
My lab will eat just about anything and so far I think it's only mushrooms and cucumber that we've found he won't eat.

advertisement

Back