advertisement

Architecture thread

Brought to you by the designer of the MI6 wedding cake on the South Bank (Terry Farrell and Partners) - who also did the Charring Cross air-rights building above the railway station. Squint and you might see a family resemblance ;)

And that's a very nice shot, Rob :)

Thanks, Martin!

Yes, the Peak Tower in Hong Kong shown in the pictures was also designed by Terry Farrell and Partners as a landmark building which offers 360 degree stunning views over Hong Kong, Kowloon and outlying islands from its viewing platform.

And that's a very nice shot, Rob :)

Thanks Martin.
There would be plenty more had I not been chased down the street by some sinister looking blokes demanding to know what I was doing taking pictures of government buildings, and insisting that I delete all my pictures or lose the camera.

Apparently I'd taken some shots of the Business, Innovation & Skills building and had been tracked on CCTV

Managed to convince them that I was giving my new camera a run.
A warning to others though - be careful around central and west London!

Thanks Martin.
There would be plenty more had I not been chased down the street by some sinister looking blokes demanding to know what I was doing taking pictures of government buildings, and insisting that I delete all my pictures or lose the camera.

Apparently I'd taken some shots of the Business, Innovation & Skills building and had been tracked on CCTV

Managed to convince them that I was giving my new camera a run.
A warning to others though - be careful around central and west London!

I had a bad experience when I took a picture of the entrance to the ministry of justice a couple of years ago. Two burly chaps came out and told me that I wasn't allowed to photograph there and demanded I delete the photos - sadly it was a digital camera. I explained that I am allowed to make photographs in public places and that I hadn't boken the law etc, and then had a bit of an argment with them. At one point they threatened to call the police, which (had it not been the met) I would have welcomed.

When I returned home I wrote to Jack Straw and subsequently recevied a letter of apology, albeit with excuses, and concfirmation that the private security guards had acted beyond their authority and instuctions. In practice, I suspct they had acted in line with instruction, but that that cannot be acknowledged.

Deleted photos can of course be recovered with suitable data recovery software... so why they think that deletion is a suitable action I don't know. I really despise the self important and jumped up approach, as well as the dishonesty applied in these cases. Whilst I want the country to remain safe, the misuse of the anti-terrorism act (Section 40) and the using fear as a tactic is very disturbing.

Mike

I can't stand officious prevention of photography but find the best response to be a) silence and b) photograph or better still video the offending official and if a) fails try c) ask them if they understand the difference between trespass and crime.

to extemporize a bit:

An officious bloke in a uniform once stopped me photographing a reflection of st Pauls in an office window under the Oxo Tower. He suggested they "They" wouldn't like having their office photographed. I pointed out the Queens Silver Jubilee walkway marking on the path under his foot - and suggested the "She" might not take kindly to him stopping me from talking photographs from her walkway which was created in 1977 to promote tourism around central London and presumably she would have expected tourists to photograph stuff.

At this point the Southwark Council "security" warden told me to go and Eff Off, at which point I started photographing him and his colleague "for the record"

Is it almost exclusively London that has these pricks trying to bully people taking photographs? I've tried my best in Cambridge to attract these idiots, but either they don't exist there, or they're frightened of me!

Tony

I work in a very large None Government building in Westminster with a world famous clock. Our excellent Met Police Officers often will pose with visitors taking pictures.

Mind you the odd tourist as pointed at it and asked if it was Westminster Abbey, I just tell to turn round and look at the large Abbey shaped building which was behind them.

I work in a very large None Government building in Westminster with a world famous clock. Our excellent Met Police Officers often will pose with visitors taking pictures.

Mind you the odd tourist as pointed at it and asked if it was Westminster Abbey, I just tell to turn round and look at the large Abbey shaped building which was behind them.

strangely, tourist photography is actively allowed next to the Houses of Parliament but the police don't seem to like people with professional DSLRs

In the safety of my local fen.

abfedba0.jpg

Tony

strangely, tourist photography is actively allowed next to the Houses of Parliament but the police don't seem to like people with professional DSLRs

When I was accosted I was using a Ricoh GX200 - hardly a pro dslr:) but still a great little camera. Sadly I eventually left it ona train in a coat pocket. Neither came back to me I'm afraid.

Mike

The Long Gallery (or Long Corridor) at the Summer Palace in Beijing, China. It is the longest and most famous gallery in China, an ancient Chinese architecture which tretches 728 meters from the moon gate in the east to the Shizhang Pavilion in the west.

P1180374.jpg

advertisement

Back