advertisement

Aqua La Voce, Denaphrips T2 and Metrum Pavane

I thought you were looking for the best sounding dac in your particular price bracket? The weight distribution of any particular unit will have no direct effect on how good it sounds.

I was talking about the build quality, nothing to do with the sound, as I already mentioned, the SQ is very good.
Mac

Well that proper transformer has to go somewhere...I don't believe the Luxman uses a toroidal psu?

Not sure to be honest, but I've never picked up a piece of kit before and found it lighter on one side or the other.
I think I notice these things more perhaps because I don't have the visual distraction of the kit, as others do who can see.
No massive biggy anyway, I was just trying to describe how it felt to me.
Mac

Not sure to be honest, but I've never picked up a piece of kit before and found it lighter on one side or the other.
I think I notice these things more perhaps because I don't have the visual distraction of the kit, as others do who can see.
No massive biggy anyway, I was just trying to describe how it felt to me.
Mac

I understand.

I had a look at a Luxman, and it looks like they used a switching PSU, if they replaced it with a Toroidal it would be heavier on one side I would imagine.

Luxman

s6BHR1BjH9DI11aNoKTtg1H508h5zZ7pgv9G4Wmuoxc21YIl7Lb-gK2bl-C56J7Jmg8e7UwybwwVzDGPdUwzvg77P7v5hERORw

Aqua La Voce S3

Aqua_La_Voce_S3_DAC_innards-thumb-720xauto-20460.jpg

Aqua La Scala ii

aqua-la-scala-mkii-optologic-dac---silver_16484_2.jpg

I use the La Scala and don’t give a rats bum where the weight is. But I use isopucks underneath - two on the left side and one on the right.

Pretty sure the Luxman has a proper mains transformer and a linear power supply.

I did ponder if it was or not looking at the photo, but if you say it does, then it does. I'd hope so at the price of it!

Maybe the weight difference is that both Aquas have two transformers?

I’ve got a Metrum Pavane L3 - I think it’s great. Haven’t heard anything in a similar league so can’t make any comparisons, but I’d highly recommend you try and have a listen.

I always buy stuff second hand, so the cost risk if you don't like stuff is low. Certainly the Pavane's not going anywhere for the next few years!

Cheers. Bill

Ive been auditioning DACs for a long time now, seeking an upgrade from a decidedly humble Starting Point Systems DAC 3 (so R2R NOS, but comparatively cheap and based on an old chip rather than discrete resistors etc as is de rigeur nowadays).

The La Scala was one of the few to be clearly a better DAC

The SPS DAC 3 is rather special - but put a good linear psu on it (even though it uses batteries) and it sounds significantly better still!

One of my favourite DACs that would sit in the humble category is the ancient Arcam BB1 (TDA1541) - I like the tone and dynamics - but there are caveats by being fussy preferring sorbothane feet and a very good transport to sing - otherwise it sounds rather ordinary.

I’ve got a Metrum Pavane L3 - I think it’s great. Haven’t heard anything in a similar league so can’t make any comparisons, but I’d highly recommend you try and have a listen.

I always buy stuff second hand, so the cost risk if you don't like stuff is low. Certainly the Pavane's not going anywhere for the next few years!

Cheers. Bill

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Pavane, I might ask the dealer if they can send one down at the same time as the La Scala.
Mac

The SPS DAC 3 is rather special - but put a good linear psu on it (even though it uses batteries) and it sounds significantly better still!

That’s what I shall probably do in the end. I have a Sbooster BOTW in mind - any alternative suggestions?

That’s what I shall probably do in the end. I have a Sbooster BOTW in mind - any alternative suggestions?

No not really - that sounds perfect! You might be surprised just how much the sound improves which is odd since it uses batteries - but I have experienced it for myself.

Don't cheap out on the power supply by finding a low cost Chinese alternative- and the Sbooster fits that bill. Just ensure you can return it if it doesn't work out (you won't though). The combination of the two should perform well above the sum of the parts.

No not really - that sounds perfect! You might be surprised just how much the sound improves which is odd since it uses batteries - but I have experienced it for myself.

Don't cheap out on the power supply by finding a low cost Chinese alternative- and the Sbooster fits that bill. Just ensure you can return it if it doesn't work out (you won't though). The combination of the two should perform well above the sum of the parts.

Thanks, and apologies to the OP for the slight digression.

advertisement

Back