advertisement

Aqua La Voce, Denaphrips T2 and Metrum Pavane

Read what I said....You can get the same measured performance for under £2k.

Not sure how you can disagree when I have literally just linked to the EXACT DAC that would do that?

For ease of comparison i ive highlighted the only comparative specs that Aqua publish:

Soekris 2541 @ Circa £1k:

THD @ -1 dB <0.004%
THD @ -60 dB <0.02%

Resistor Precision 28 bit, 0.01% - 0.05% Resistors
Clock Jitter RMS 0.3 pS typical
S/N 20 Khz Bandwith >126 dB unweighted
Frequency Range +0.1 -1.0 dB 20hz - 20Khz
USB Input Type B, Isolated, Full/High Speed
USB Input Mode Audio Class 2.0
SPDIF / AES / Toslink Inputs Up to 24 bit / 192 Khz
USB Input PCM Up to 24 Bit / 384 Ksps

Aqua La Voce S3 @ £3.4k (from the data sheet)

Frequency Response 20Hz to 22kHz +0.5dB/-0.5dB
THD + N <0.1% 1KHz -20dB

On the only 2 comparative specs Aqua have published, the results are as above.

I will continue to search for more specs but when you find the Datasheet is totally bereft of anything meaningful, it usually means that the numbers aren't great. Not casting aspersions over the performance or the sound, just showing that for £1k you can get a real R-2R DAC that will probably measure quite favourably against the Aqua.

Again, i am not talking about how much you enjoy it's particular sound etc.

Sorry but what exactly is your point here ? Do you buy gear based on measurements only ?

Not quite sure how I see this as relevant ? there is more to sound than measurements alone - my apologies, not trying to start another objectivist war -

Datasheets are irrelevant to me, I couldn't care less about measurements, I only care about how it sounds. It's often in my experience measured performance can actually sound gash, much like an RME or Topping.

Performance to me, is how it sounds, and to some extent how it looks.

Never tried a Soekris as it looks like something from a 70's Sci Fi film, so for me, its not on par with an Aqua and not something I'd want in my house!

Is the Soekris a true ladder Dac?

Yes, Its a True ladder DAC.

From your response, one for the purists.

Sorry but what exactly is your point here ? Do you buy gear based on measurements only ?

Not quite sure how I see this as relevant ? there is more to sound than measurements alone - my apologies, not trying to start another objectivist war -

Just made an observation, thenI was asked to provide evidence. That's all.

Carry on spending on what you desire

The Aqua La Scala goes back today, but it will be back!... the dealer has asked me to try it again with different valves, apologies, don't know which ones, they are supposed to be better though... we will see.
Mac

The Aqua La Scala goes back today, but it will be back!... the dealer has asked me to try it again with different valves, apologies, don't know which ones, they are supposed to be better though... we will see.
Mac

You may prefer the La Voce as it dosent use a valve..

Mac

I’d be interested to hear how you get on. I’m in a similar position of having a La Scala here but it’ll be going back because although it’s definitely good, I can’t quite get in with it. So I’m curious what difference you experience with the changed parts.

I’d be interested to hear how you get on. I’m in a similar position of having a La Scala here but it’ll be going back because although it’s definitely good, I can’t quite get in with it. So I’m curious what difference you experience with the changed parts.

That's interesting, which DAC would it have been replacing and what didn't quite do it for you with the La Scala?
The way it was sold to me, I was expecting something markedly better than my Luxman.
It is certainly very good, but not good enough to justify the extra outlay.
Mac

The other thing about the Aqua, compared to my Luxman DA 06, build quality isn't as good.
I'll be back with some thoughts once I get it back.
Still haven't ruled out the Terminator+, but it will be a few weeks before I can hear it.
Mac

The other thing about the Aqua, compared to my Luxman DA 06, build quality isn't as good.
I'll be back with some thoughts once I get it back.
Still haven't ruled out the Terminator+, but it will be a few weeks before I can hear it.
Mac

I find that mass produced factory built from a big brand will often have better build quality over bespoke boutique..If you want build quality comparison, look at some Audio Note Dacs, they have often seemed to me like they have been put together in someones shed :)

I find that mass produced factory built from a big brand will often have better build quality over bespoke boutique..If you want build quality comparison, look at some Audio Note Dacs, they have often seemed to me like they have been put together in someones shed :)

Certainly not the case with my “bespoke boutique” brand. Also something not mentioned is the quality of the parts used. Although the build of the Luxman is good and well above average, there is nothing special about the audio parts used.

Certainly not the case with my “bespoke boutique” brand. Also something not mentioned is the quality of the parts used. Although the build of the Luxman is good and well above average, there is nothing special about the audio parts used.

Aqua probably say the same about theirs, but yes I can see your point regarding the parts used, but if it sounds good, why does it need more expensive parts?

That's interesting, which DAC would it have been replacing and what didn't quite do it for you with the La Scala?
The way it was sold to me, I was expecting something markedly better than my Luxman.
It is certainly very good, but not good enough to justify the extra outlay.
Mac

Ive been auditioning DACs for a long time now, seeking an upgrade from a decidedly humble Starting Point Systems DAC 3 (so R2R NOS, but comparatively cheap and based on an old chip rather than discrete resistors etc as is de rigeur nowadays).

The La Scala was one of the few to be clearly a better DAC (as opposed to just different, or better in some areas but with compromises). And one of the conclusions I’ve reached is that it’s better to make a big jump up the ladder, rather than to expect substantive leaps in quality from just the next model up. Differences which may suit preferences may well crop up, but big jumps in overall quality are less likely. So if moving from a 4K Luxman you may find something you prefer, but even at that level I think I’d consider saving longer and going bigger to get something substantially better across the board. Unless of course the valve change does the trick, hence being curious.

But for me the La Scala still has a bit too much energy higher up the frequency range. It seems I may actually need some of the frequently derided NOS roll off to be happy. So the clearest issue for me with a lot of DACs is that hi-hats are too prominent, and fatigue quickly ensues. The La Scala was better than others in this regard, and really good in other aspects (bass extension, clarity, presence of central vocals in live recordings and things like that). But to my extremely fatigue-intolerant ears, just a bit too toppy.

Clearly that’s not the case for a lot of people, it just shows the importance of hearing for yourself.

Interesting comments about the Aqua build quality, as I thought their gear was pretty nice, and always liked how they built them with ease of upgrade ability if and when they are available.

Interesting comments about the Aqua build quality, as I thought their gear was pretty nice, and always liked how they built them with ease of upgrade ability if and when they are available.

The Aqua build quality is excellent imo, at the very least it does not contain a piece of wood like the Border Patrol DAC :)

The modular design means that boards can be replaced if they ever fail, and they can also be upgraded, future proofing the unit rather than it becoming a door stop if it fails. I doubt the Luxman can do this.

Last edited:
Ive been auditioning DACs for a long time now, seeking an upgrade from a decidedly humble Starting Point Systems DAC 3 (so R2R NOS, but comparatively cheap and based on an old chip rather than discrete resistors etc as is de rigeur nowadays).

The La Scala was one of the few to be clearly a better DAC (as opposed to just different, or better in some areas but with compromises). And one of the conclusions I’ve reached is that it’s better to make a big jump up the ladder, rather than to expect substantive leaps in quality from just the next model up. Differences which may suit preferences may well crop up, but big jumps in overall quality are less likely. So if moving from a 4K Luxman you may find something you prefer, but even at that level I think I’d consider saving longer and going bigger to get something substantially better across the board. Unless of course the valve change does the trick, hence being curious.

But for me the La Scala still has a bit too much energy higher up the frequency range. It seems I may actually need some of the frequently derided NOS roll off to be happy. So the clearest issue for me with a lot of DACs is that hi-hats are too prominent, and fatigue quickly ensues. The La Scala was better than others in this regard, and really good in other aspects (bass extension, clarity, presence of central vocals in live recordings and things like that). But to my extremely fatigue-intolerant ears, just a bit too toppy.

Clearly that’s not the case for a lot of people, it just shows the importance of hearing for yourself.

Dave, you make some very valid points, particularly about the jump up in quality as you go up the ladder, no pun intended and that has certainly crossed my mind, whether to wait until I can perhaps afford the Aqua Formula in the future, or the more expensive models from the likes of MSB or Metrum... trouble is with that is that by the time I'm in a position to buy one of them, something else has come along!
Must admit, in my set up, I didn't find the La Scala to be too bright, but I do have tone controls on the amp which may well have solved that.
Mac

Yes, the Luxman has excellent build quality, very solid, nicely shaped and assuringly weighty, but you may well be right about it's audio parts, thus why I'm trying to find something better.
The Aqua isn't of a poor quality, but I don't particularly like the style of switches on the front, a bit flimsy to me, and when you lift it, one side is heavier than the other, so feels a little unbalanced... visually I'm sure it's very nice, but as I can't see, it's not a big deal to me, it's more about the feel and of course the sound.
Mac

Aqua probably say the same about theirs, but yes I can see your point regarding the parts used, but if it sounds good, why does it need more expensive parts?

Aqua seems to be well made from the internal images I have seen. They have the right idea, and the implementation using good linear power supplies and separate transformers is the right approach for good sound.

The parts quality makes a huge difference to the sound of a product. The better the design of the part, the bigger they tend to be, therefore they generally end up being more expensive. Especially boutique parts where the production volume is low. Some good sounding parts can be cheap like certain diodes and resistors etc, but generally the best sounding parts like coupling capacitors can be expensive, there is no denying that.

...and when you lift it, one side is heavier than the other, so feels a little unbalanced...

You do know that you actually posted this on a public forum???

advertisement

Back