advertisement

Apple watch

The whole iThing is hated because it is so obvious and predictable and robs the consumer (and the more stupid and conformist the better) of any freedom of choice. No space for an individual to decide what they actually want or need. The path towards iConsumer Nirvanah is all laid out for you/them, no deviation is possible. Absurdly, there is also an aura of snobbery about it, you are either "IN" or beyond the pale. I've been asked so many times "When are you going to get an iPhone?" or even worse, "When you finally decide to get an iPhone, you will bla, blah..." that I could scream!
That's dashed my aspiration for a BMW i8 then ...

OK, the Apple watch isn't on my must-have list but I'm curious about something: Does the display turn off?

As a kid in the 1970s I coveted thy neighbour's LED watch, but after seeing one in use (the need to press a button to activate the display then shade the display if under bright light) I thought it was a bit of a marketing blunder.

Joe

OK, the Apple watch isn't on my must-have list but I'm curious about something: Does the display turn off?

As a kid in the 1970s I coveted thy neighbour's LED watch, but after seeing one in use (the need to press a button to activate the display then shade the display if under bright light) I thought it was a bit of a marketing blunder.

Joe

Hey Joe,

I watched the video presentation and I believe it turns on when you position the watch to look at it. I imagine it goes to sleep when your wrist is repositioned. The video is very good if you haven't seen it. Lots of options with wristbands and three different model watches each with small or regular size displays.

http://www.apple.com/watch/films/#film-design

I watched the keynote and the Apple Watch is a rather interesting thing IMO with some very clever touches, especially with regards to the user interface. Not something I feel I need or want myself (I no longer wear a watch at all), but I bet they sell in shed-loads and predict the market will be flooded with cheap buggy Android and Windows Phone copies within six months! The disappointment is that it's really only an interface to one's iPhone and requires the iPhone to be within (I assume Bluetooth) range. This clearly restricts use, e.g. not much use if you want an alternate to taking the iPhone out cycling / jogging, want a watch / comms device when swimming etc.

Cheers, John.

It's not something I'd like to buy, but I was curious if the battery could power the display continuously for days (weeks?) on a single charge. If it could, it would be a breakthrough in display or battery technology, which has much wider implications.

Joe

I'm surprised there is no solar / kinetic recharge capability in these new toys. I stopped wearing a battery powered watch over 10 years ago, and I have no wish to start again. It's already a PITA to recharge my iPhone, so I make it a habit to plug it into my car's USB port for a top up each time I drive. The plus side of doing this is I get album art on display when playing music, which doesn't happen over Bluetooth.

If it's any thing like the jawbone, Samsung, or other the wannabes you describe that paradoxically already exist (such is apples power to rewrite chronology). It will still function out of BT range) it just won't report. So in that respect it's already behind needing to rewrite that particular game. Or at least convince the punters that's what it's done. I had a Casio gshock that turned on when you tilted it back in 1997.

It seems a success already in that respect. It's apple, it works etc. it may well be a game changer, but it's hard not to mouth the adage of some of the people all of the time; all of the people some of the time; but not....

People are already considering how they can fit this into their gym routines etc, rather than vice versa.

Easy to say "odd really". And it's not to dismiss the product/brand, but it has been a massive brand indoctrination for quite a few years now. For how much longer? Is the question.

In many respects it's typical Apple. They have a long history of taking ideas that already existed and were fundamentally good in concept, but utter shit in the market current implementation and doing them right, with real style and in a way that integrates seamlessly with their existing product portfolio / IT comms infrastructure. It's just what Apple does. Basically Apple copies something that has failed or no one has heard of, does it right, and then everyone else copies the Apple implementation.

To be honest the thing I liked most about the Apple Watch is the app-launcher. They've come up with a neat system of apps being represented with circular icons that can be arranged around the clock face icon like a kind of universe - it can be arranged however the user pleases, i.e. most popular apps to the centre, less popular to the periphery and can be easily zoomed into and and navigated, returning to the centre with a press of the crown. All of a sudden iOS and it's Android etc copies look rather old and clunky with their grids and pages of apps, as does OS X with LaunchPad (LaunchPad has always been a bit of a turkey to be honest).

All of a sudden iOS and it's Android etc copies look rather old and clunky with their grids and pages of apps

Except that the main UI difference between Android and iOS is that the launcher is not just "grids and pages of apps" but rather pages of differently sized and interactive and information rich widgets.

And the launcher itself is another app that you can replace and customise to do pretty much whatever you want and there are a whole bunch of them available if you want to get into this sort of thing.

The problem is that Android apps aren't intuitive, they behave in different ways and the UI tends to be all over the place. A bit like some Linux incarnations.

Users don't want to stuff around customizing the OS. The great thing about Apple is that it works, the Apps work the same way, look and feel doesn't vary, you doh't have to customize a thing, and, above all, their ecosystem integration is way out in front of their rivals. Nor reboot, for that matter.

Onanistic delight ergo.

I know you added the spring for embellishment. Otherwise odd on a quartz watch. Of course if apple reinvented the spring too...
I'm right-handed and the Seiko SKX013 is an automatic.

Joe

Appple has already forecast it's decline by the building of the huge new building in Cuprtino - the doughnut.

Whenever companies get so profitable that they build palaces to employ people in it is an indication that they have past their peak.

The number of marble hq buildings around the major cities of the world that are no longer occupied by the companies that commissioned them is very large.

The HQ building I worked in in southern England has been split into many parts, some for housing and others for many companies to occupy. This as a result of the decline or re direction or total re-invention of the company or both.

So in 10 years Apple as we know it will be no more, only a core with a few pips in it.

So in 10 years Apple as we know it will be no more, only a core with a few pips in it.

I suspect you are right, but I put that down to the loss of Steve Jobs, not ambition. At present they seem to be making very nice well-thought out and gently evolutionary high-end products, but I very much doubt we'll ever see anything as truly game-changing as the introduction of the iPod / iTunes, iPhone or iPad from Apple again. Their whole future now pretty much rests on Jony Ive IMO. If he went they are probably toast.

Appple has already forecast it's decline by the building of the huge new building in Cuprtino - the doughnut.

Apple is by far the most valuable company in the world: that will not disappear in 10 years. Maybe in 20 or more, who knows...

I doubt Apple will be no more in ten years. They've only got to keep ticking along with their small incremental improvements year-on-year (whether copied or not) and they can't go wrong, IMO, such is the power of the brand.

Their whole future now pretty much rests on Jony Ive IMO. If he went they are probably toast.

You might just have put your finger on why they have brought Newson on board. He is effectively Ive's design-twin, so reduces any Key-Man risk surrounding Ive's availability.

I watched the video presentation and I believe it turns on when you position the watch to look at it. I imagine it goes to sleep when your wrist is repositioned. The video is very good if you haven't seen it. Lots of options with wristbands and three different model watches each with small or regular size displays.

http://www.apple.com/watch/films/#film-design

the linked page ask the user to allow running of "quick time".

vuk.

You might just have put your finger on why they have brought Newson on board. He is effectively Ive's design-twin, so reduces any Key-Man risk surrounding Ive's availability.

I see Marc Newson has designed a jet pack, so Apple's future may be fine after all.

advertisement

Back