advertisement

Anyone used an AV processor as a 2ch DAC remote preamp?

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
Has anyone had good sound quality using an AV processor/ receiver simply as a remote controllable stereo DAC/preamp?

I can use my cyrus av8 in stereo mode, but it isn't brilliant compared to the stereo part of the system. DacX prevs etc.

To be fair the av8 has to send the signal 5.5 metres to the stereo system where it gets a tickle before the sound goes to the power amplifiers.

I'm interested as to what you have in mind.

Im using a DACMAGIC into an older Krell pre amp and wanted an all in one device with as good or better sound with remote volume to cater for 2 digital sources 1 optical, one coax.

If you really need the Krell then you could use many preamps as an input expander or use a remote control dac. my dacx works in this way.

some of the later Cyrus preamps have a digital input section, but analogue for.....the analogue. many processors digitise all signals whatever the source so they can send the stuff through the dsp section.

I used a Linn 5103 which is a superb dac/pre , and certainly a big step up from the kairn I was using previously.

I now use a Linn Kisto which is even better (which it should be).

The av aspects of the amp are redundant in my system and the number of underutilized connectors is amazing.

The quality of the dacs compared to the output of my karik is quite surprising.

Linn_Kisto_rear_view.jpg

I use one spdif in , one analogue in and one analogue out.

I've been using a Tag AV32R (single processor with analogue bypass) for the last 5 or 6 years. With the DVD32R as (CD) transport, it sounds very good, although since January this year I've been using a PrimaLuna Dialogue 2 (integrated) as my main amp, so the TAG has been used (via its tape out) just as a DAC.
I'm starting to think of replacing it with a DAC like the Young, though I would lose the benfit of T2L clock locking. I'm not sure if that matters these days.

I used a Proceed AVP as 2 channel pre-amp for a long time and it bettered a Linn Kairn. the AVP 2 is meant to be even better with a excellent DAC based on the ML 40 I believe.

You have to make sure though that your turn off all of the sub settings to get true analogue bypass.

I'm using a Naim AV2 processor as a temporary 2 channel DAC but within a Naim system (amp, pre & speakers anyway).

Hmmmm, this thread really has got me thinking about replacing my caiman in the second system with a receiver and then eventually setting up a 5.1 system.......

I was thinking of getting a receiver and using passives for the centre/rears. Just need to find one with L/R pre-outs for the ATCs. Another reason for going the AV route is the number of optical inputs to save me using a switch. That panasonic looks good with airplay but doesn't have the connectivity I need.

TBH at the moment I only watch about 5 movies a year cos I never get time but have decided to make an effort to get more viewing time in.

The Meridians or Linn AV/pres are the ones to go for. They'll have what you need. i almost bought a Linn prior to the HDR. They're also exceptional S/H value.

advertisement

Back