advertisement

Anyone used an AV processor as a 2ch DAC remote preamp?

I wouldn't know a linn av processor if it bit me on the arse- what are they called and what are the ones to go for?

A lowish cost Linn is the AV5103 which had a excellent DAC according to some. Not sure it does analogue bypass though so you would need to find a manual on-line or expert on PFM.

I used a TAG AV32R, the single processor with 192 kHz DAC's. Although I have no direct reference with a 2 channel DAC/pre, I was quite happy with the quality. Sources were TAG CDT20R sync locked CD transport replaced by a Squeezebox Touch.

As developments in A/V go quite fast, it was time to change the TAG for something newer. The current state-of-the-art high-end A/V processor however carry a substantial price tag, outside of my reach. Furthermore with the advances in A/V the lose value quickly so quite a loss of money. Some promise upgradability with new electronics boards but these are often quite an additional cost.
So I decided to go for a more 'budget' processor with an added dedicated stereo pre.

As processor I have just received a Marantz AV7005 which is 'ok' in stereo but nowhere near the quality of the TAG. For stereo I'm awaiting the upcoming Audiolab 8200DQ DAC/pre.

So my advice would be for stereo:
1) don't need the HD audio decoding and HDMI connectivity? Get a nice legacy processor such as a Meridian, TAG, Lexicon as these are available for dump prices on the used market, and these will be very good in stereo.
2) Do you want HD audio decoding and HDMI connectivity? Buy a budget processor such as Onkyo, Marantz, Emotiva. Add a good stereo pro with a HT (unity gain) passthrough to this. You will have a good base in stereo and will be able to upgrade the processor with newer developments without terrible write-offs.

advertisement

Back