advertisement

Anyone tried a Funk Firm APM mat on their Techie?

Vaseline, get out of here
Why? It works. Provides a non-permanent CLD bonding between the platter and the glass of the APM Achromat. Without it, even when using a record weight, the highs get a little strident. But seriously, don't knock it until you've tried it. It's a hell of a lot more reversible than the double sided tape that comes with the mat, and a lot easier to remove.

Another surprising improvement in sound quality comes from simply turning off the Reset button for the pitch adjustment. Move the slider to center, and while listening, turn the Reset button on and off. With it off, I find the sound less forward and harsh. With it off, more relaxed and natural. Again, this is with the lowest torque setting. At max torque (level 3, the default) it might not make any difference, but I did find it subtle but noticeable on torque level 1. And may or may not matter with that awful OEM phono cable. Replace that with a better cable first.

I use the Soundeck mat, two metal plates bonded together. Nice and flat and reasonably heavy, available as different sizes to suit your deck. I don’t get any static at all with the Soundeck mat.
Before I used the Oyaide but was prone to dust and marked easy.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Out of interest what size did you choose (HxDxW) & why did you choose X amount of small pieces rather than a sheet?

The pieces were cut roughly by hand - ROUGHLY, chosen randomly, 10 x 5mm x probably 3mm thick - just cut from a piece that had been sat in a drawer for forever.
3 pieces as 3 points (that are not in a straight line) define a plane, so any record is held absolutely stable, ignoring any vibration isolation effects - any record may not be flat, but it cannot move.
A whole sheet would also cost a fortune, and it was just a trial.

They achieve nothing on my Hyperspace.

Vaseline, get out of here
Preparation H?

preph_howtovideo-maxstrength_thumbnail.jpg

advertisement

Back