Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried a Funk Firm APM mat on their Techie?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Phil Bishop, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Phil Bishop

Phil Bishop pfm Member

I have a Technics SL1200GR and a fine turntable it is.

However, there is a design flaw for us audiophile types in that it is difficult to get the arm low enough for some cartridges and even with standard cartridges like Audio Technica I find I have my arm at the lowest setting with the standard mat.

I have tried Achromats in the past and never been convinced - in fact, I have never been convicted by any turntable mat ever making any difference to SQ.

However, the new Funk Firm APM mat does appear an interesting design and at 7 mm thick offers a useful 4 mm height gain over the standard Techie mat making arm adjustability better I'd hope.

However, at nearly £150 it's pretty expensive.

Anyone any advice or experience?

2. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Not seen the Funk APM will look it up though. I have a 1200GR and have tried a few mats, the Funk Achromat came top as it was the least static prone. Among the mats I bought is an original Technics 6mm, they changed a good while ago to a 3mm one you’ll have. You could add a second mat on top, I tried a cork one for a while but preferred the Achromat.

I paid £50 on eBay for the Techy 6mm, seen cheaper at £12.95 but is sold out. Part number is Technics RGS0010A

https://sparedparts.com/products/technics-turntable-mat-sfad122-01a-rgs0010a-rgs0008

Phil Bishop likes this.
  3. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

APM is Funk’s Achromat with a glass substrate bonded to it to create a constrained layer damper for the platter. Glass is inherently very RIGID but has totally different properties to the metal platter. Supporting each other, their different resonances work against each other and the vibrations die very quickly indeed. The platter is now much more stable

4. Phil Bishop

Phil Bishop pfm Member

Yes, the design sounds interesting but does it work? Technics supply a rubber mat for their deck. It strikes me thick rubber would provide better damping than rigid glass, if, indeed, damping is actually required?

It's the thickness that attracts me as it should allow more arm height adjustment flexibility, but £150 is an expensive way of doing that when there's a 6 mm Technics rubber mat out there.

I did try a couple of standard Technics Achromats in the past. Both were warped and thus returned and I lost faith. First rule about a mat, it should lie flat ;)

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

6. Amber Audio

There appear to be a few 6mm Techys on eBay under £20 at the minute, worth a punt?

My Achromat is dead flat luckily, it does the job and pops up used now and again about half price, you can get new stickies off Funk.

Phil Bishop likes this.
  7. Phil Bishop

Phil Bishop pfm Member

Yep, watching one ;)

8. Amber Audio

Think it’s your best bet, there are plenty of alternatives, I got an Oyaide BR12 for a decent price but it’s only 5mm, almost on a par with the Funk. The stock Techys and old 6mm for some reason in this house are a bit more static prone than the Funk/Oyaide.

Phil Bishop likes this.
  9. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Is there any difference between the cheap and expensive ones on eBay?

10. Amber Audio

Suppose there’s always a chance some are fake, seems a lot of effort though for a pretty niche item. Mine arrived in a brown packet and a label by Panasonic.

Phil Bishop and Seanm like this.