advertisement

Anyone ditching the land line?

The oldies in our family use landlines to call us. They still live in the land where they call the property that they hope has the person they want to speak within it!

But with Alzheimers taking over their brain they simply cannot remember, or be taught, how to use a modern mobile phone properly. So if MIL wants to call either of us, she calls the house. Her old memory still has the number engraved within it - so it is easy to call.

So... we dare not ditch the landline! Besides which the broadband internet connection is still copper to the street cabinet (thankfully then Fibre back to the exchange!)

gone one step further than phone lines at work, I now have no cable internet service either.... it's all done with mobile, usb tethered to laptop.

We have fttp and have ditched our landline and have gone down the voip phone route almost exclusively to stay in touch with the elderly relatives. We bought a VoIP capable router rather than voip phones as it was cheaper. We ported our existing phone number to a 3rd party host - Andrews and Arnold who also host all our emails. They are extremely helpful and I would thoroughly recommend them.

Something to consider is that with a landline the emergency services via 999 are provided with location information. If you can't speak (intruder, in danger, etc) for whatever reason (or can't speak clearly or coherently for medical reasons eg stroke, fit, et al) then tne emergency services can locate you

https://www.met.police.uk/contact/how-to-make-a-silent-999-call/

Additionally, the physical cable network is far more resilient than the mobile network.

Our phone will also work when the mains is off, for whatever reason.

We don't use our landline and we could save £2pm not to have the facility. We'll be maintaining a landline for as long as we can, for the above and other reasons.

Our phone will also work when the mains is off, for whatever reason
The telephone exchanges had massive lead acid batteries that would take up a whole floor back when I worked for PO Telephones. They supplied the 50 Volts float for switching and transmission including telephone line current.
Charging was from the mains. Backup was a diesel generator.

Such belt and braces telephone network security is now going by the by as dedicated telephone lines will be decommissioned.

Ditched our landline years ago, after Mum popped her clogs. Broadband provided by Virgin (for what we probably pay too much, as “existing subscribers”, but hey, it works). Therefore TV by Freesat & Amazon Prime. Family contact via WhatsApp.

visted my friend today who has lost her phone line connection at the moment . into this is plugged her call alarm etc etc which she needs as disabled . why has she lost it ? multiple eastern european folks have applied for an EE phone line to take over her line and almost succeeded . Many letters addressed to at least 5 different names with bank details setting up standing orders . she has managed to stop it proceeding any further but only just and no phone line till its resolved. Makes me very angry i must say

from the EE website

An account takeover is when a fraudster takes control of your account and changes some of your personal information so that they can then make unauthorised transactions. An account takeover can happen to any type of account, such as a bank, credit card, or email accounts.

Online banking accounts are usually taken over by using methods such as phishing (sending emails pretending to be from a reputable company); spyware (software that can secretly transmit from someone’s computer); or malware (software used to gain unauthorised access to computer) scams.

Fraudsters may target EE customers to steal new devices, or use a phone to access personal information.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/safe...ou have been a,956 6000 from another provider.

I ditched my landline phone years ago as I was fed up with it being used as a marketing tool , Unpluge and put in the bin , Bliss no more marketing phone calls.

My landline finally goes at the end of the week. All it has received in the last few years is automated spam calls. Every call goes silently to the answerphone anyway. It was rarely, if ever, used so won’t be missed.

What’s a landline?

Haven’t had one for 15 years, no need, they’re a money generating anachronism for the likes of BT and that’s all.

This! I sometimes "have" a landline if it is needed for the broadband deal, but have never plugged a phone in since about 2007. Last year I had phonecalls appear on my bill even though no phone owned or plugged in!

Finally gone last year when new internet supplier installed. I find it amazing how long I had clung on to this with barely any use at all.
I was shocked to find out how much my previous ISP charged for land line, I thought it was negligible.

so this ditching the landline is quite a problem for the elderly
3 real life scenarios . disabled lady lives alone who has a stairlift and cannot get anywhere without it . used to have landline NOT dependant on power so if there is a powercut or electrics trip she call for help . not anymore BT have disconnected this so now she has no emergency back up except a mobile which is left in various places

Elderly gent whose only care line alarm is connected via internet . if there is a powercut then NO way at all of calling for help at all . which he does need sometimes . no longer has a landline

Elderly lady with Bt via internet . took a while to get it working but no reception for her EE mobile . fortunately they do have emergency call alarms

so all these scenarios are not good for the elderly as often dont have mobiles and wont have one

For vulnerable users there is a SOGEA product with battery backup unit.

It's basically internet and/or voice that has a battery unit to keep the fibre, router and phone up during a power cut. They are already being rolled out by service providers for care alarms, lifts and warden assisted homes etc.

Something to consider is that with a landline the emergency services via 999 are provided with location information. If you can't speak (intruder, in danger, etc) for whatever reason (or can't speak clearly or coherently for medical reasons eg stroke, fit, et al) then tne emergency services can locate you

EISEC works with mobiles as well, not just landlines. Mobiles use AML alongside EISEC to send the GPS location as they don't have a static address like a landline.

advertisement

Back