advertisement

Anyone ditching the land line?

Minio

Kind of Sort of Not really...
Mine will no longer function if I don't switch to fibre by March.

It's decision time. Any advice on the pros and cons?

What’s a landline?

Haven’t had one for 15 years, no need, they’re a money generating anachronism for the likes of BT and that’s all.

We have a land line as part of our Virgin package. We had a phone attached to the box via a length of cat5 cable, which our puppy chewed through, nearly 6 years ago. We didn't replace the cable as the only calls we received were scams and nuisance calls, or the occasional call from family who know our mobile number anyway.

Haven't missed it in the slightest.

BT gave us a VOIP service and fancy digital handset and ported our old number over when we migrated to fibre a year or so ago. Just having the service is free, although calls by the minute are extortionate and unlimited calling is a bout £10 a month, so it's used for incoming calls only.

We have little or no indoors mobile reception and mobile wifi calling drops when you move between WAPs and is clunky on some handsets. That said, I am gradually training everyone to call our mobile numbers and use mobiles for outgoing calls and hope to decommission our landline number before too long and further reduce our electronic clutter.

I still retain my 'landline' it's an internet phone setup via Andrews & Arnold .

I kept my landline number it costs £15 to port it and a £1 a month plus vat for the 'line' calls cost literally buttons even to the likes of Spain, think it's 10p a minute BT are about £10 a minute.

I use it for business ie my incoming 'land line' calls are diverted permanently to my mobile.

Beware though emergency services still look for a landline number when you call them.

Ours is still connected but out of use since we switched to fibre broadband in 2020.

The only people who ever rang me on it were a friend with no mobile phone, an old chap i used to sell stuff for and many different scammers, so it has been no great loss.

I would get rid of mine today if I could, but without FTTP or any decent 4G, I’m lumbered for now

Well, the internet comes through it, so need it for that. Nobody has offered us fibre to the property yet.

We have three storeys, and two mobiles which sometimes struggle for reception at the lowest point of the house, with us at the bottom of a hill.

Having a four-handset cordless phone system allows use to have a phone in most of the convenient locations, without having to keep mobiles to hand, and rely on their reception. They also function as intercoms between the rooms, so if I have the headphones on, and OH wants to attract my attention, the phone will light up on my desk. Communal phone book lives on that, as well.

I still need one for MIL careline fall alarm and like the above post, I like the digital phones scattered around the house and workshop and use them as an intercom as well (although that does not require the land line I guess).

Not quite ready to leave it yet

I prefer the feel of a proper phone handset to that of a small flat rectangle. Add to that the lousy mobile and WiFi connection where I live and my inability to remember to keep my iPhone charged and you'll understand why I'll be keeping my landline for as long as possible.

A landline is a ridiculous extravagance for me, I hardly ever use it, hardly ever receive calls on it, it is just somewhere to hook-up my fully working 1934 GPO 232 telephone and No.1A bellset (hiding at the back on the shelf below).

50779156206_29e5625bff_b.jpg

I obviously need a good fast internet connection so have to pay some landline fee, but keeping a landline phone is a pointless expense even if totally cool. Absolutely no substitute for a proper vintage GPO telephone bell!

Mine will no longer function if I don't switch to fibre by March.

It's decision time. Any advice on the pros and cons?

We ditched ours years ago as we never used it ... then Covid happened and we had to get it back so the better half could work from home. :rolleyes:
(although now via the Virgin modem rather than strictly a 'landline')

Predictably in this day and age, it was easier and less expensive to have the phone than not have it - didn't fit Virgin's package structure without :mad:

Moved in to new house couple of months ago. Still had a contract for land line so got it moved. However, not telling anyone the new number and not using it. Instead got two sims in my mobile, one for personal, one for work.
Will ditch landline at end of contract as fibre is coming soon. Moving was a perfect opportunity to wean people off calling my landline.

When we went to full fibre on TalkTalk in November, had the copper line removed to the house and went to running our normal phone via a supplied adapter, over the internet works fine and you get an app so your mobile also receives the landline so you can check who is calling.

only keep the landline so the mother in law can call us in an emergency.

Gone from here, and went over to a sim router, which was excellent at first, but is very variable in speed and responsiveness now.

Fortunately we're getting fibre soon, just as soon as they renew the pole in the field halfway down to the house.

Got rid of mine when I had full fibre installed. Prior to having it removed I didn't make a call on it for several yaers and only received calls from one person.
I don't miss it at all.

advertisement

Back