advertisement

Anybody Uses A Tablet To Stream Music To DAC ?

Similar prices at Tesco, more to the point the 7" is about £190 with £30 cashback from Samsung ~ half the cost of the 7" Granny Smiths

However, you can get even cheaper tablets, still with Android 4.1 on them.

Can it be used wirelessly to control a dlna client, such as a Pioneer n-50, which accesses music served by a dlna server on a pc (stored on a USB disk)? The tiny screen on the Pioneer is unreadable from the other end of the room :mad:

- Richard.

yep any android dnla app likeTwonky

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pv.twonkyremote&hl=en

Although I haven't used Twonky its well received.

I use NetTop and remote desktop like Splashtop HD control of Spotify in full form and JRMC.

For £187 10.1" Samsung tablet is one of the better "also rans" versus the Ipad

There's also the Pioneer control app for android, and Airplay.

Similar prices at Tesco, more to the point the 7" is about £190 with £30 cashback from Samsung ~ half the cost of the 7" Granny Smiths

However, you can get even cheaper tablets, still with Android 4.1 on them.
7" Galaxy Tab 2 base price at Carphone Warehouse is £150, then £30 cashback takes it to £120. Tesco shmesco.

yep any android dnla app likeTwonky

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pv.twonkyremote&hl=en

Although I haven't used Twonky its well received.

I use NetTop and remote desktop like Splashtop HD control of Spotify in full form and JRMC.

For £187 10.1" Samsung tablet is one of the better "also rans" versus the Ipad

There's also the Pioneer control app for android, and Airplay.

Thanks. That's helpful. I'd been thinking of getting the Nexus 7, but I'll have another look at the Samsung.

- Richard.

Thanks. That's helpful. I'd been thinking of getting the Nexus 7, but I'll have another look at the Samsung.

- Richard.

I owned the Nexus 7" for a couple of weeks and it performed really well, but was just too small. Fine using remote apps but not much different than a smart phone.

7" Galaxy Tab 2 base price at Carphone Warehouse is £150, then £30 cashback takes it to £120. Tesco shmesco.

Blimey, how are Samsung hitting these price points. No wonder Apple spend so much time in court with them.

Word of warning the Samsung does not scroll as well or perform as quick as an Ipad . If you want it purely as a remote/controller for your music streamer then its fine, but if you are going to need as a normal day to day internet surfing TV streaming blah blah I would advise going to your local Curry's to get a feel of its usability prior to taking the plunge.

Nexus 10 is out, but doesn't sound a blindingly good deal as the 7 is, slight light leakage on side , scrolling not as smooth. Pixel resolution is very good . Check out engadget review for full details. At £319 vs £399 base iPad model doesn't seem as an attractive deal.

Excuse moi. Tesco is 158 less the 30 quid, so whatever is nearby will do I guess.

For remote control duties, there's some very capable machines under £100.

As for the apple specials, that still puts them about twice a samsung - though that is a bang up to date ipad. I assume a new samsung will be along soon.

Certainly a price war on the go.... the Kindle Fire 7" is £99 ... delivered.

It's amazing what tablets are out there for less than £200. The manufacturing capacity for these devices is really up to speed now. Can only imagine what Xmas 2013 will be like

It's amazing what tablets are out there for less than £200. The manufacturing capacity for these devices is really up to speed now. Can only imagine what Xmas 2013 will be like
Cold, wet, miserable, usual shit on TV (i.e. crap films, repeats from 1975 that have been played every other year ever since though on the plus side a decent Dickens adaptation) and some turkey.

I agree with this. The problem at the moment is lack of storage, and the fact, in the case of the iPhone and iPad, you can't stream ALAC.

That is wrong. iOS devices can stream ALAC, through home sharing. This is different from using iCloud/iTunes match, where the songs accessed through the Apple services are 256k.

That is wrong. iOS devices can stream ALAC, through home sharing. This is different from using iCloud/iTunes match, where the songs accessed through the Apple services are 256k.
No, I am correct. Neither the iPhone nor the iPad can stream ALAC natively. Of course it can if you use an iTunes library, but I wasn't talking about that.

A big advantage (IMO) of the Samsung over the Ipads is that you can add micro SD memory at what ever size you want, with the Ipad you have to buy the ipad in the memory size you want and boy do they charge you for the privilege :eek:
I use my phone, Samsung Galaxy S3 with the Gizmo remote app to control my HTPC with J river media / Flac, I can still change the tracks in my music room when I’m cooking in the kitchen and can see my full library on the gizmo remote, simplz.
Cant see the point of using a tablet that has to be connected with a lead? dont think it will catch on somehow :rolleyes:

Alan

I'm wondering too. At present I've attached the m audio 2496 soundcard to the hifi (computer is in the next room so a longish lead needed to be knocked up). Sounds darn good although I could add a dac of my choice if so inclined using 1 leg of aforementioned lead. I can control winamp from my android phone so no need for any additional wires or mess. Am I missing something?

Word of warning the Samsung does not scroll as well or perform as quick as an Ipad . If you want it purely as a remote/controller for your music streamer then its fine, but if you are going to need as a normal day to day internet surfing TV streaming blah blah I would advise going to your local Curry's to get a feel of its usability prior to taking the plunge.

Nexus 10 is out, but doesn't sound a blindingly good deal as the 7 is, slight light leakage on side , scrolling not as smooth. Pixel resolution is very good . Check out engadget review for full details. At £319 vs £399 base iPad model doesn't seem as an attractive deal.

The reviews are variable. I can't see light leakage on mine. It's not an iPad beater per se but it IS a serious alternative to iPad 3 for Android people! Not as smooth as iPad, but slightly better resolution, thickness and weight. Also, some reviews bemoan the back not being dimpled all over like the Nexus 7. Couldn't disagree more. The rubberised plastic is far better than the, thankfully small, rear dimpled strip! Makes it a joy to hold, in combination with the thin, light chassis!

Definitely I disagree about your value judgement. I wouldn't pay a penny more for an iPad 3, let alone the extra being asked. They each have slight strengths and weakness, would be my summary. It comes down to the OS you prefer IMO.
Darren

Cant see the point of using a tablet that has to be connected with a lead? dont think it will catch on somehow :rolleyes:

Alan

My main use case would be Spotify over mobile broadband. Unfortunately I've had to use my laptop several times thanks to TalkTalk home broadband! Phone or tablet would be better.
Darren

advertisement

Back