advertisement

Anybody Uses A Tablet To Stream Music To DAC ?

ryder

pfm Member
The Mac Mini is usually the preferred option. Nevertheless, I was just wondering if a tablet such as the iPad or Galaxy Tab could do an equally good job without compromising on sound quality. The Galaxy Tab has a USB host, but I'm not sure if it can be used as a digital out.

The little device that connects the tablet to the DAC, though I wished it could be a little longer.
samsung-galaxy-tab-7-0-7-7-8-9-10-1-usb-otg-host-cable-connection-1202-26-junelaw@6%20copy-500x500.jpg

gtabotg-1.jpg

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I use a tablet to control JRMC on my laptop that way I have access to all of my music digitally and as full FLAC files.

I assume the cable you show converts the tablet socket to a USB. If so a USB extension lead is all you need.

I also use a camera connection kit with my iPad to my DAC. Works a treat and is a very cheap and easy method with no set up required. I have all my FLAC on my laptop so use that for serious listening, but the iPad is convenient for spotify.

iPad/iphone to AppleTv and to Airport Express wirelessly. The quality is surprisingly good to both.

As tablets are coming down in price all the time this could be the way in the future, was thinking of buying a tablet myself let us know how you get on

As tablets are coming down in price all the time this could be the way in the future, was thinking of buying a tablet myself let us know how you get on
I agree with this. The problem at the moment is lack of storage, and the fact, in the case of the iPhone and iPad, you can't stream ALAC.

I use a tablet to control JRMC on my laptop that way I have access to all of my music digitally and as full FLAC files.

Same here, but i use a windows based net-top PC running headlessly. The Gizmo app is real nice, tis all artwork based music selection.

2.jpg

3.jpg

I agree with this. The problem at the moment is lack of storage, and the fact, in the case of the iPhone and iPad, you can't stream ALAC.
You can get round this by using iPeng on an ipad or iphone and then running squeezebox server on a nas or whatever with the files. That way you can have unlimited capacity with only the ipad/whaever in the room with the stereo (forgive me if I am stating the obvious)

I imagine this will work with alac but am not 100%. I have also been told but can't confirm that ipeng will stream via aiplay to an apple tv/airport express or whatver so the ipad doesn;t have to be connected to the stereo either.

Yes, indeed, but the point for me is to integrate the lot into the tablet. I use a macmini too, but stream directly from the i device if I can't be bothered firing up the mac.

What I used to do was to have the MacMini running when I wanted a proper listening session streaming into my SBT and used iPeng to control everything from the iPad. If I couldn't be bothered firing up the MacMini I just connected iPeng to mysqueezebox.com and listened to Spotify or internet radio from there.

More recently I've dumped the MacMini in favour of a NAS box with an ARM chip which is powerful enough to run Logitech Media Server. It's quiet and low powered and works nicely with Wake on Lan so I don't even have to worry about switching it on and off any more. It also has RAID redundancy and so my data is safer. And I don't expect you to believe me but my SBT also sounds FAR FAR better streaming my music from it than it did from my MacMini (although I have now converted everything from Apple Lossless to FLAC, whether this has any bearing who knows). For me it's a no brainer.

ipad plus spotify gets you a long way. but dont you find it annoying having to connect the ipad with a wire?

What I used to do was to have the MacMini running when I wanted a proper listening session streaming into my SBT and used iPeng to control everything from the iPad. If I couldn't be bothered firing up the MacMini I just connected iPeng to mysqueezebox.com and listened to Spotify or internet radio from there.

More recently I've dumped the MacMini in favour of a NAS box with an ARM chip which is powerful enough to run Logitech Media Server. It's quiet and low powered and works nicely with Wake on Lan so I don't even have to worry about switching it on and off any more. It also has RAID redundancy and so my data is safer. And I don't expect you to believe me but my SBT also sounds FAR FAR better streaming my music from it than it did from my MacMini (although I have now converted everything from Apple Lossless to FLAC, whether this has any bearing who knows). For me it's a no brainer.
agreed (although i have never used a mac mini.) This seems to me to be the best way- who wants a computer in the listening room?

I have my i-pad connected to my Bushmaster via Arcams excellent dr-dock,sounds great with Spotify premium and i-tunes lossless!!!!

ipad plus spotify gets you a long way. but dont you find it annoying having to connect the ipad with a wire?

I have a long USB cable running from my DAC under a big rug to just next to a neat coil just my sofa for my laptop anyway, so it doesn't get in the way or look ugly.

advertisement

Back