advertisement

Anybody seen Paul (AV8)?

I agree that it’s accepted that you don’t discuss temporarily banned members because they can’t defend themselves, but you could argue that by being banned permanently, they should lose their right not to be discussed.
Why do you want to talk about those banned when they never have an opportunity to defend themselves?

Or is that why?

Why do you want to talk about those banned when they never have an opportunity to defend themselves?

Absolutely. In this context, it would be helpful to know who has been banned (so as to avoid talking about someone with no ability to reply), but I know that TonyL doesn't want to tag people as banned, for understandable reasons. It's usually easy enough to guess, anyway, eg a previously prolific poster suddenly 'disappears'.

I have previously used 'Merlin', 'HarryB' and 'doctorf'.

You've used all those names? Why?

I must admit, I have often thought about using a more obscure username that what I do. Mainly to give me some degree of anonymity. I wonder if it's feasible to change my username on my existing account? Probably one for @Tony L to answer.

Absolutely. In this context, it would be helpful to know who has been banned (so as to avoid talking about someone with no ability to reply), but I know that TonyL doesn't want to tag people as banned, for understandable reasons. It's usually easy enough to guess, anyway, eg a previously prolific poster suddenly 'disappears'.
It's possible to infer somebody is banned from their profile. If there's no option to 'start a conversation' then they're banned.

How do you know whether somebody has been banned or has simply changed their user name?

I believe that username changes get applied to older posts.

Personally, while nowhere near the level of posting that some members have, I tend to come and go from forums - I'll be active for a few months, then I'll realise it's taking up too much time, and I'll just not visit for a few months.

How do you know whether somebody has been banned or has simply changed their user name?

Well, you don't. But often it's possible to make an educated guess by the content of their posts.

I often get people mixed up anyway, particularly if two posters have similar names.

Just that, and - having spoken a few of times since - yes, she is.

Good to know, as I was reminded of her recently when a I found a phono stage I'd bought from her in amongst a pile of other spares recently and realised she'd not posted in months.

A new Galasphere 347 album (Ketil Einarsen/Mattias Olsson/Jacob Holm-Lupo/Jon Jowett/ Pete Smith/ Myke Clifford/ Björn Riis) and a kind of 'solo' instrumental album with Mattias, Nick Fletcher, Jon Jowett, Theo Travis, Kelly O'Donohue and some others probably!) Also, probably something with Tim in the future as well—not sure what though—and the huge task of trying to record a proper album by my '80s band, LaHost, before we're all dead.

Stephen

advertisement

Back