advertisement

Any middle eastern food afficionados?

Ottolenghi's business partner and coauthor

yeah, that's him....although i'd not heard of Ottolenghi before.

Flicked through the book. mouthwatering pictures, interesting recipes. Unfortunately lots of Chickpeas and lentils........guess what I'm dangerously allergic to!

yeah, that's him....although i'd not heard of Ottolenghi before.

Flicked through the book. mouthwatering pictures, interesting recipes. Unfortunately lots of Chickpeas and lentils........guess what I'm dangerously allergic to!
That's quite a rare food allergy, not one of the stated 14. The practice nurse at my GP has it, she relates her mother being bemused that she would cook this wholesome food for the family which would be well received and put one of the children in hospital. Again. It took quite some time to trace it to legumes, which she now avoids. It makes vegetarian cuisine and especially Middle Eastern food choices very difficult.

I love ME food, but have never attempted to make any of it apart from hummus and tabouleh.

That's quite a rare food allergy, not one of the stated 14. The practice nurse at my GP has it, she relates her mother being bemused that she would cook this wholesome food for the family which would be well received and put one of the children in hospital. Again. It took quite some time to trace it to legumes, which she now avoids. It makes vegetarian cuisine and especially Middle Eastern food choices very difficult.

Lentils, chickpeas and green peas, are the ones that get me - couple of "blues and twos" trips to A & E. It came on around the turn of the century, although I'd suffered from hay fever since childhood. Had the tests done to confirm things - and yes, i am mildly allergic to cats! (the family gave me two choices - I lost)

oh, and lupin seeds....which have got me twice in France. I believe they are one of the "14". Also (according to the tests at least) mildly allergic to sesame, although they don't give me any problems. The lentils are the problem: 5 on the 'richter' scale (aka "call the ambulance")....(6 being ""call the ambulance, NOW", and 7 being "call the undertaker")

OTOH, other sorts of beans, nuts, peanuts (!) are no trouble at all.

Fairly careful these days, but do occasionally get caught out - such as a well known brand of Guacamole, which was 40% green pea. Oops

Lentils, chickpeas and green peas, are the ones that get me - couple of "blues and twos" trips to A & E. It came on around the turn of the century, although I'd suffered from hay fever since childhood. Had the tests done to confirm things - and yes, i am mildly allergic to cats! (the family gave me two choices - I lost)

oh, and lupin seeds....which have got me twice in France. I believe they are one of the "14". Also (according to the tests at least) mildly allergic to sesame, although they don't give me any problems. The lentils are the problem: 5 on the 'richter' scale (aka "call the ambulance")....(6 being ""call the ambulance, NOW", and 7 being "call the undertaker")
Lupins are a weirdo, they are one of the "14"; we don't eat them in the UK but they are used as a flour improver/additive in France.

OTOH, other sorts of beans, nuts, peanuts (!) are no trouble at all.
Now that IS odd. Not the tree nuts, they are a different set, but peanuts are legumes and I wouldn't put them within a mile of someone with a pea/lentil/chickpea allergy.

Ah, nothing beats a proper Turkish kebab house. Pizza as a 'small' starter and then the main (large) kebab dish! You can order a desert after that...

Or a Kurdish variant of dolmar.

My then Turkish girlfriend once served Turkish dolmar, you where supposed to eat them cold. Really nasty!

advertisement

Back