advertisement

Any middle eastern food afficionados?

gavreid

Pretty Words...
Today is Nowruz, the new year. This piece had me drooling

4426.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...bean-dip-stuffed-trout-herbed-rice-sabzi-polo

yes - I spent a fair chunk of 5 years working in and out of pretty much all of the gulf states. Holidayed in that part of the world (inc Syria and Yemen) many times.

3 best meals I recall were an amazing buffet style restaurant in Damascus, a tiny roadside cafe in Amman and a brilliant Iranian kebab restaurant in Doha.

oh another, a bowl of foul mudammas, eaten for breakfast sat on the West Bank of the Nile...

I remember years ago arriving in Jerusalem late, dusk falling, starving, I’d come overland from Cairo. I had a hotel somewhere in the new city and after checking in walked down towards the old, towards Jaffa gate. Just before the walls of the old city was this restaurant and for some reason I decided to chance it. I will remember one dish all my life it was so special, just slices of baked aubergine and the most extraordinary walnut sauce. I’ve tried many times to find recipes for a similar walnut sauce, never succeeded.

In London, before covid, I would eat at Beirut Express and Maroush in South Kensington and Beauchamp Place very often, Lebanese food. They would do wonderful drinks, fruit cocktails they call them. Years ago when I was at Imperial we used to use an Iranian restaurant, but it’s hard for me to do at home - I don’t know how to use the pomegranate juice which is so central to their cooking. Even basic things like Moutabal are hard for me - charing the aubergine skin.

The one thing I do make successfully is Tabouleh. I was told the secret by an Algerian friend. You add no liquid to the grains to soften them - all the work is done by the juices of the tomatoes and the cucumber. That way it is as light as a feather. The only thing I hate about it is chopping all the mint.

Cucumber in a tabouleh?!? Haram! I have never, ever seen or tasted cucumber in a Lebanese or Syrian tabouleh.

Cheers guys, I'm not eating until late tonight - I swore to myself I wouldn't read this thread!

The Middle Eastern cookery is no different to anywhere else in the world - the crucial ingredients in the dish of the same name varies from household to household, let alone across borders.

Love Middle Eastern food. Especially love Turkish and Lebanese/Syrian.

Ah yes, you’ve reminded me now of a little Turkish restaurant I used to use years ago in Stoke Newington. They would have this dish of baked salami meats, it would come to the table wrapped in foil, fabulous taste and aroma.

Tabouleh à la Wimbledon
OK...
(I hate cucumber with a passion and react to even minute traces of the stuff. It's something like the national vegetable in Finland. They put it everywhere in sandwiches and salads and... When I lived there I'd have to remove the offending slices, wipe the ghastly juice off the ham or cheese. The Finns say "but it doesn't taste of anything".)

OK...
(I hate cucumber with a passion and react to even minute traces of the stuff. It's something like the national vegetable in Finland. They put it everywhere in sandwiches and salads and... When I lived there I'd have to remove the offending slices, wipe the ghastly juice off the ham or cheese. The Finns say "but it doesn't taste of anything".)

That just reminds me of the father of a French friend - he’s hardly ever been been out of his little village near Albi, maybe when he did national service - who just could not believe it when I told him that in England we put cucumber in sandwiches!

2 words:
OTTO LENGHI

so

Yes. Depending on where you think the Middle east is. I spent a year in Iran, time in Turkey and Afghanistan etc. Beautiful food.

Our local campsite in normal times runs a Pizza gaf for the summer months with a bar. During this lockdown they have been hosting takeaway food events at weekends, making use of their car park. Normally we do not do takeaway very much - it is a rare treat.

But this final weekend they had an 'Egyptian' pop up takeaway so we booked a slot. Four of us had what you could call essentially posh Doner Kebabs - really delicious.

In normal times on the route to or from Liverpool we stop off at the (generally awful) outlet centre, Cheshire Oaks. A bit of clothes shopping for the girls but the highlight is the lovely Lebanese restaurant on site.

On the Hagley Road in Birmingham there is Persian restaurant. There are not many in the country, people travel from afar to go. It is wonderful and the staff so friendly - I took a gang of chaps in and we had great time and the food was wonderful.

Once, a long time ago, about day 2 into SE Asia an island I really did -not- have a grip on language- I ordered something described as 'hot sizzling frog'

Yes. And it really, really was, as described - definitely, unavoidably - Kermit's in-laws, the very freshly-frightened by hot wok equiv of Monty Pythons Crunchy Frog.

(still jumping, only becos served on a red-hot lump of iron in front of me.)

Also - delicious.

advertisement

Back