advertisement

Any love for Royd Speakers these days?

No one ever mentions the ConistonRs Grahams recommended them to 2 mates of mine to use with rega and Creek

I have had my share of Royd speakers. From the minstrels to the Prior. Currently I have 2 pairs of minstrels and 1 pair of doublets. Sold a mint pair of doublets a few months ago since I really didn’t need them anymore but for the price that they sell for on the used market compared to the cost of new speakers these days they are a no brainer and some of the most musical speakers I have ever heard. Had the opportunity to buy a pair of mint Albions about 10 years ago. Couldn’t really get over the looks of them especially with the dedicated stands and I wasn’t really in the market at the time but those speakers and perhaps my Priors were the only Royd speakers I regret not keeping.

A couple'a things....I had thought that a few people from this forum (and other places) Had kind of took over the Royd name and started making a minstrel tribute called the Troubadour. They also had a bookshelf model too. They did some smart things (at least it appeared as such), using an AMT tweeter, some kind of special HDF and....etc. Whatever happened with that?

Anyway my own experience with the brand is mixed. They were outstandingly detailed but many models could feel thin, bright (if paired with the wrong electronics) or grating. When they weren't that way, they would often not play that loud.

The Herald's were way more detailed than competitors but had little bass and were grating.
The Merlins I think were a winner.
The sorcerers were some of the absolute best all time bookshelf monitors, but they couldn't play loud if that was your thing.
Albions I felt never delivered for the price. Ultimately I felt they were poor value despite doing some great things.
Abbots just couldn't deliver the bottom end compared to competitors. Tried like hell to get them to really sing and could never make it happen.

For me, the magic all time winner was the Minstrel SE. They were WAY better than original minstrels. Something about the metal stands with beefier bases and spikes, the wood veneer seemed to tighten up the cabinet, and I believe the drivers were modified too. That model was so much fun. Also couldn't play loud, but they had really great bass and just a superb overall presentation that was uber clear and fast without feeling strident.

I had minstrel SE's for a few months and decided I would get doublets just to get something that could give me a bit more output but sound the same. Problem was, they didn't sound the same. That "stickout" top end came and poked me in the eye, and after a few months of that, I got rid of them.

I know what you mean. I had a pair of minstrels se on loan about 20 years ago and damn they sounded ace. Should have purchased them. But I have made steel plates for my minstrels and that made a huge difference to the sound. Not quite as magical as the SE but really nice

I had a pair of Abbots with a Naim CD player and amps - I think 72/Hi/140 for a few years in the late ‘90s. Infidelity recommended them at the time. It was a lovely system, very musical indeed. I got the upgrade bug and sought “something better” and ended up trading them. With hindsight, I could have lived with them for far longer.

Just remembered I have a pair of Abbots in the loft. I liked the Abotts but found for their size they lacked bass. I much prefer the Minstrels.

advertisement

Back