advertisement

Any love for Royd Speakers these days?

All well and good Timpy- if I knew what I was testing and what I was looking for! I’ve had the crossover board out, which is fairly simple, but I don’t know how to test each component, what the value should be, plus I haven’t used a multimeter in over 20 years!

Sure we can help with that though Mr Neds. I'm no expert but basically the inductors are unlikely to have failed - so, so long as they have continuity when measured with a multimeter then they're probably ok. DC resistance for the inductors should be very low. Same with resistors, they should measure roughly the value on them. So they're both easy, and those bits are least likely to have gone wrong.

I'd start with the Capacitors, they will charge when connected to a multimeter, so if they start off as shorted, or stay open circuit, then they're your culprit. It's almost certainly one of these that is wrong, and as it is only the tweeter the doesn't work, yet the tweeter is good, you could probably just change them for little expense.

Or just post in the DIY section. I bet you'll be surprised how easy they are to repair.

A couple'a things....I had thought that a few people from this forum (and other places) Had kind of took over the Royd name and started making a minstrel tribute called the Troubadour. They also had a bookshelf model too. They did some smart things (at least it appeared as such), using an AMT tweeter, some kind of special HDF and....etc. Whatever happened with that?

Anyway my own experience with the brand is mixed. They were outstandingly detailed but many models could feel thin, bright (if paired with the wrong electronics) or grating. When they weren't that way, they would often not play that loud.

The Herald's were way more detailed than competitors but had little bass and were grating.
The Merlins I think were a winner.
The sorcerers were some of the absolute best all time bookshelf monitors, but they couldn't play loud if that was your thing.
Albions I felt never delivered for the price. Ultimately I felt they were poor value despite doing some great things.
Abbots just couldn't deliver the bottom end compared to competitors. Tried like hell to get them to really sing and could never make it happen.

For me, the magic all time winner was the Minstrel SE. They were WAY better than original minstrels. Something about the metal stands with beefier bases and spikes, the wood veneer seemed to tighten up the cabinet, and I believe the drivers were modified too. That model was so much fun. Also couldn't play loud, but they had really great bass and just a superb overall presentation that was uber clear and fast without feeling strident.

I had minstrel SE's for a few months and decided I would get doublets just to get something that could give me a bit more output but sound the same. Problem was, they didn't sound the same. That "stickout" top end came and poked me in the eye, and after a few months of that, I got rid of them.

Sure we can help with that though Mr Neds. I'm no expert but basically the inductors are unlikely to have failed - so, so long as they have continuity when measured with a multimeter then they're probably ok. DC resistance for the inductors should be very low. Same with resistors, they should measure roughly the value on them. So they're both easy, and those bits are least likely to have gone wrong.

I'd start with the Capacitors, they will charge when connected to a multimeter, so if they start off as shorted, or stay open circuit, then they're your culprit. It's almost certainly one of these that is wrong, and as it is only the tweeter the doesn't work, yet the tweeter is good, you could probably just change them for little expense.

Or just post in the DIY section. I bet you'll be surprised how easy they are to repair.
Thanks Timpy. I posted in the diy section on the Wam when I first got them, a couple of years back, but got a limited response as I remember. I’ll try my new Fish pals.........

Those have been hanging around eBay and the forums for a good while. I'm sure they're very good, but obviously, no one wants to take the chance. I almost bought the Royd Atoms that were around earlier this year, because they looked great- nicely turned out and with a ribbon tweeter

A few years ago I worked through all of Royd's top line standmounts from the Eden to The Sorceror. TBH, I found them all a bit too bright and over-excited and decided they weren't my thing. But they're a good buy if you can find a pair for £150 or less. They do a lot of the things Kans are good at.

For sure the Royd house sound is quite bright and forward. The Revelation series are different in this regard, they are far more refined, not as "immediate" & "raw" as traditional Royd designs. They really fill the room, and do a disappearing act when spaced widely apart. They go far deeper than other Royd standmounts, which sound thin if used in larger rooms. Big grippy amps work best with them IME.

Royd Revelation series sound like what they are, which is a pair of grown-up Royds, but some may well miss the edge-of-seat experience that a pair of classic Royd speakers can provide.

Royds here. Minstrels used weekly. Not had my doubletts ( bought from JTC on this forum many years ago ?) set up for quite some time. Last was with an Opus21 , Exposure 21 and 18 monos. Great stuff. I'll set up again soon I think.
Been thinking of punting my floorstanders recently. Royds , Mission 752s and Epos Es 22s. Replacing with Atc 40 mk2s. Free up space and a better sound - well , maybe. Yet to hear Atcs.

For sure the Royd house sound is quite bright and forward. The Revelation series are different in this regard, they are far more refined, not as "immediate" & "raw" as traditional Royd designs. They really fill the room, and do a disappearing act when spaced widely apart. They go far deeper than other Royd standmounts, which sound thin if used in larger rooms. Big grippy amps work best with them IME.

Royd Revelation series sound like what they are, which is a pair of grown-up Royds, but some may well miss the edge-of-seat experience that a pair of classic Royd speakers can provide.
Your perception of this is 100% in alignment with my own. I'll add one thing that you didn't mention, comparing their two top-of-the-line products: Albion and RR3.
  • The Albion was a fun speaker that had a great sense of rhythm and punch, but you had to turn it up (a bit) to create that effect. At lower volumes you felt like you were missing something. It generally had a harder time with inner nuance of the presentation (the sound, versus the rhythm).
  • The RR3 was able to present all aspects of the sound really well, although it didn't boogie as well as the Albion. It also sounded much better at "lower" volumes, which represented the majority of my listening.
That's why I changed from the Albion to the RR3 (passing the Albion to a friend). I continued to miss the Albion for its boogie, but I recently changed to the Ergo IX in my office. I'm alone there and listening at higher volumes, so I like its highly engaging personality. The RR3 is in my family room now, where the volumes are typically lower and I appreciate the more balanced presentation.

I've had my Doublets from new, bought in 1998, and still in regular use. Joe repaired one driver which my son managed to blow, and I occasionally wonder whether to replace them, possibly Neat Iota Alphas, but my new Uniti Star seems to be driving them even better, so will keep them a while longer.

@Mike Hanson ah yes, I forgot to mention how open RR3s are at very low volume, one of their greatest strengths.

I think these speakers suffered at dems as the temptation is to crank up to party volumes.

Do that with a pair of RR3s and eventually the tweeters will blow…

Lived with Royd Minstrels in the early 1990’s, from new, Richer Sounds I think.

Loved the look of them, but I was used to more bass, and they soon ran out of breath.
If I saw some near mint I would buy them.

@Mike Hanson ah yes, I forgot to mention how open RR3s are at very low volume, one of their greatest strengths.

I think these speakers suffered at dems as the temptation is to crank up to party volumes.

Do that with a pair of RR3s and eventually the tweeters will blow…
Yup, my wife turned up the wick too much on mine, and blew them. :eek: :(

I bought a half dozen replacement tweeters to repair them and as insurance in case it happens again. :D

Last edited:

advertisement

Back