advertisement

Any eBay experts here?

Arguably the first mistake was selling on eBay. It's a minefield for anyone who's not wise to the scams, nuances and rules. I used to sell loads on there but never again; it's just not worth the risk as a seller - particularly for anything valuable or electronic. eBay is the Mos Eisley Spaceport of websites - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Well, maybe Facebook Marketplace...
That was the answer I was looking for. I was contemplating selling a few things on Ebay, but not now.

New Ebay problem.

The item was sent to the buyer on the 5th June, and this is confirmed with the Evri tracking information on eBay (shown below), but it hasn't been delivered :(

• Wed 5 Jun
    8:23pm
    Entered the Hermes network

• Wed 5 Jun
    8:17pm
    Entered the Hermes network

• Wed 5 Jun
    2:03pm
    Collected from the ParcelShop

• Wed 5 Jun
    9:59am
    Dropped off at the ParcelShop

• Wed 5 Jun
    8:54am
    Order placed

• Wed 5 Jun
    12:54am
    Tracking number provided

What do I do now?
Ignore. Wait for buyer to put a claim in with PayPal or the card provider. Actually I cannot really make sense of the tracking data. What does the data say in 17track.net?

Ignore. Wait for buyer to put a claim in with PayPal or the card provider. Actually I cannot really make sense of the tracking data. What does the data say in 17track.net?
It says this -

2024-06-14 15:20
We're processing your parcel at our hub

2024-06-05 19:23
Your parcel is being sorted at the senders local depot

2024-06-05 13:03
We've collected your parcel

2024-06-05 08:59
We've received your parcel at the ParcelShop and will be collecting it shortly

2024-06-05 07:54
We're expecting your parcel to arrive with us soon and we'll update your tracking once we've received it

It says this -

2024-06-14 15:20
We're processing your parcel at our hub

2024-06-05 19:23
Your parcel is being sorted at the senders local depot

2024-06-05 13:03
We've collected your parcel

2024-06-05 08:59
We've received your parcel at the ParcelShop and will be collecting it shortly

2024-06-05 07:54
We're expecting your parcel to arrive with us soon and we'll update your tracking once we've received it
That's good news then. You have an update today. Not lost, buyer must sit tight and not give you grief. But buyer probably will. Buyers too often give me shit like a late delivery is either my fault or something I can sort out. Or both.

Arguably the first mistake was selling on eBay. It's a minefield for anyone who's not wise to the scams, nuances and rules. I used to sell loads on there but never again; it's just not worth the risk as a seller - particularly for anything valuable or electronic. eBay is the Mos Eisley Spaceport of websites - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Well, maybe Facebook Marketplace...

Well, in over 800 transactions over many years, I think I've had maybe a couple that were troublesome...

Well, in over 800 transactions over many years, I think I've had maybe a couple that were troublesome...
Good ratio! I do a few hundred per month and reckon 1 in less than 100 has some issue or other. Where is my parcel, it's been a week now, courier says he delivered it but I have not received it, tracking just stops updating, tracking shows courier never even collected it, courier says address is wrong, courier says recipient refused it, recipient says it is damaged, recipient says nothing is in the box (only ever happens with Amazon customers).

I think that covers it. If only the market in my city was big enough to have a shop where people collected then I would stop online.....

I do 300-400 a month these days, a reduction of almost half from a few years ago, and at least 20-30 are troublesome...a range of buyer scams and claims, from the comical to the outright scum 'want it for free'. There is no recourse for a business seller when a buyer options a return, accept it or get a defect, a few defects per sale ratio can drop your account into below average on the seller metrics, and at this point eBay 'hide' your listings and give you a couple of sales a week only. It can take months, years to restore an account to above average or TRS, it effectively kills businesses.

eBay does have the option now for Business Top Rated Sellers to reduce the refund amount by 50%. The buyer almost always appeals and eBay foots the bill for the remaining 50%.

Some of the wonderful lines you will receive from eBays 'support' staff when bringing up scams and abusive buyers is 'like a shop, you have to factor into loss through theft into your business plan', when it should really read, 'you have to factor into your business plan that eBay will always side with the buyer even with irrefutable evidence to show the scam, you are our customer, the seller, that pays our wages and the shareholders payouts are unimportant to us as there will always be someone else who till take your place'

I have sold hundreds of items (personal not business) on eBay. It reaches an audience which far exceeds that provided by anyone other than Amazon... who charge a fortune in fees which makes selling say a CD not worth the hassle. I like eBay.

I never book my shipping through eBay; unless you've carefully entered dimensions and weight when listing, the assumptions they make about these are way off and the postage they suggest won't cover the costs. They also tend to default to the cheapest which is usually Evri.

I primarily use Royal Mail/Parcelforce due to their reliability.

If you're sending anything of value, ask the buyer to confirm they have "safe place", leave-with-neighbour or other arrangements if they're not going to be there when it arrives. They will have had to sign a waiver for any loss so a courier will agree to do this.

I don't sell overseas but I do tick the Global Shipping Program(me) box which means overseas buyers can buy my stuff but
(a) my responsibility stops when it reaches eBay's UK international distribution centre
(b) the overseas buyer is entirely responsible for international shipping costs
(c) if it arrives damaged then it's eBay's responsibility unless they can provide photographic or other evidence that it arrived broken at the distribution centre which would probably mean I hadn't packed it properly and would be a fair cop (this has never happened)

Hope this helps.

I do 300-400 a month these days, a reduction of almost half from a few years ago, and at least 20-30 are troublesome...a range of buyer scams and claims, from the comical to the outright scum 'want it for free'. There is no recourse for a business seller when a buyer options a return, accept it or get a defect, a few defects per sale ratio can drop your account into below average on the seller metrics, and at this point eBay 'hide' your listings and give you a couple of sales a week only. It can take months, years to restore an account to above average or TRS, it effectively kills businesses.

eBay does have the option now for Business Top Rated Sellers to reduce the refund amount by 50%. The buyer almost always appeals and eBay foots the bill for the remaining 50%.

Some of the wonderful lines you will receive from eBays 'support' staff when bringing up scams and abusive buyers is 'like a shop, you have to factor into loss through theft into your business plan', when it should really read, 'you have to factor into your business plan that eBay will always side with the buyer even with irrefutable evidence to show the scam, you are our customer, the seller, that pays our wages and the shareholders payouts are unimportant to us as there will always be someone else who till take your place'
and it is even worse on amazon, i delisted everything on amazon this year, enough is enough.

and it is even worse on amazon, i delisted everything on amazon this year, enough is enough.

My sales have been dropping year on year, so when they become economically non viable I will just bow out, I'm tired of the abuse from eBay towards it sellers. How a business can side with a new 0 feedback, 0 previous purchase buyer registered three days before purchase over one of your business seller, been trading for ten years, with over 50k sales, 99.9% positive feedback makes me mind boggle.

I havent ever done Amazon, but I know you've mentioned before its a crock of sh*t too

advertisement

Back