advertisement

Any eBay experts here?

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
I thought I'd try a bit of eBay selling to make a bit of extra cash. It's very early days, but we've sold a few things.

Anyway, I received an Item not delivered notification, so I checked the tracking on EVRI website, and it said it was delivered to their porch.

What do I do now?

Tell the buyer to check it's not on their roof, in a nearby hedge or left in one of their dustbins. And then don't ever use EVRI again!

In all seriousness, you may be on a hiding to nothing here. It maybe that the courier has left it in an odd place, as above, but it could also be that someone's nicked it if it was left on a porch, or the buyer is pulling a fast one on you and will then push for a refund. Sadly, if the courier has marked it as "delivered" then that's all eBay tend to care about. This works to your advantage, though, as they will probably side with you if it comes to a dispute. Still doesn't make you feel good, though.

Did you enter the Evri parcel reference on ebay when you shipped it ?
If yes then ebay will already know as much as you regarding the evri parcel status.

I sold a pair of Usher R1.5s amps for about £4k a few years ago.
There was signature evidence that it it had been delivered but the buyer said it wasn't his.
He lived in a London flat up a flight stairs and the amps weighed about 45kg each so not easy to get up the stairs.
Fortunately they were insured and the delivery company refunded me - no issues.
I can't remember the courier but I was dubious if they couldn't be arsed going up the stairs with or if the buyer but tld me it wasn't his signature.
I don't think it was Hermes/Evri but it was one of the major companies.

Secondly, I recently sold a fully functioning Canon SLR.
After 88 days the buyer stated they'd just tried it for the first time and it was faulty and wanted a refund.
Very dubious but decided not to challenge it.

I thought I'd try a bit of eBay selling to make a bit of extra cash. It's very early days, but we've sold a few things.

Anyway, I received an Item not delivered notification, so I checked the tracking on EVRI website, and it said it was delivered to their porch.

What do I do now?
There is usually a photo as 'proof of delivery'., so check their tracking website. Might help to know what their 'porch' looks like. I got a 'proof of delivery' from Evri for a (PC) gaming keyboard the boy wanted. It was a photo of an envelope in the letter box flap.... (flap was virtually closed on the envelope, so it was obvious it contained nothing whatsoever...). I would not choose to use them myself....

I always use royal mail as almost 100% pain free and competitively priced. They also don't throw parcels over gates/fances/hedges or leave in stupid places like so many if the cheap couriers do.
As long as Royal Mail will deliver it, I always use them too.

Did you enter the Evri parcel reference on ebay when you shipped it ?
If yes then ebay will already know as much as you regarding the evri parcel status.
I paid for EVRI though eBay, so assumed (I know) that all the info was automatically sent to the buyer.

I am an ebay expert. I think what you have been told tells not enough. If EVRI tracking says it was delivered, the buyer has no option on ebay. Ebay is fairly brutal about this. They will not authorise a refund. If the buyer knows his onions he will then go to the payment gateway, normally his bank card or paypal and put in a claim. Then, via ebay, you will be asked by the payment provider to prove that you sent the item. Some I win, some I lose. But I am equally brutal on ebay, I don't necessarily see it as fair, but that is the ebay rule. So I follow it too.

If the buyer thinks you are a bad guy, he may then give you negative feedback regarding the failed delivery. You can then get it removed by calling ebay.

Regarding EVRI, they have picked up their service quality quite well. We have had no problems over maybe 200 parcels since we started using them again. So, it all make sense to keep it inhouse to me wiht ebay, using their recommended courier.

I am an ebay expert. I think what you have been told shows others here are not. If EVRI tracking says it was delivered, the buyer has no option on ebay. Ebay is fairly brutal about this. They will not authorise a refund. If the buyer knows his onions he will then go to the payment gateway, normally his bank card or paypal and put in a claim. Then, via ebay, you will be asked by the payment provider to prove that you sent the item. Some I win, some I lose. But I am equally brutal on ebay, I don't necessarily see it as fair, but that is the ebay rule. So I follow it too.

If the buyer thinks you are a bad guy, he may then give you negative feedback regarding the failed delivery. You can then get it removed by calling ebay.

Regarding EVRI, they have picked up their service quality quite well. We have had no problems over maybe 200 parcels since we started using them again. So, it all make sense to keep it inhouse to me wiht ebay, using their recommended courier.
Thanks very much for taking your time to post this Richard. That's very, very helpful.

Time after time after time, couriers get slated here.

Apart from the Post Office and Parcel Force, they are ALL franchises. How anyone's parcel does in any of the franchise systems is pure luck depending on what franchisees are involved.
I buy masses of stuff online -often 3-4 parcels delivered per week and essentiall no problems with any courier.

Don't they all take a photo' of parcels as delivered?
One of the very, very few times that I have had hassle, the only one that I can remember, the photo' was of my parcel on a neighbour's doorstep!!!!! He delivered it to me when he got home.

I only use Evri for low value volume sales.

And even then it's often not worth the agro as Royal Mail prices aren't much more.

And I get free no hassle following day postie doorstep collection.

Last edited:
The problem with a photo of delivery is that the photos do not always show the number of the house. We once had photo proof of delivery which was a photo of our neighbours porch - no number on it but we recognised it.

The practice started during lockdown which was understandable then . Now is just a con to avoid having to redeliver. Only ten mins ago i went outside and found a case of wine I had ordered. They didn’t knock or ring the bell.

I had £6k of Naim gear left outside in the rain - thanks Hermes.
I was in the house at the time - no chap at the door or bell was rung.
I think these guys just got to do things as quicly as possibe.

I sent the Naim gear as I wasn't interested with that service.
The company tried to offer a replacement but so pissed off I wouldn't accept it.

The problem with a photo of delivery is that the photos do not always show the number of the house. We once had photo proof of delivery which was a photo of our neighbours porch - no number on it but we recognised it.
Same here

advertisement

Back