advertisement

Any cyclists using turbo trainers?

My Elite Direto is getting a lot of use at the moment, cost me just under £500 about 3 years ago. Hopefully will keep going but when it stops working or needs an unobtainable part I will look for a cheap replacement, as with many things they have been getting expensive.

Always worth a look on eBay, mate of mine bought an all singing & dancing Wahoo watt bike for £1200, they are £3500 new. Variable resistance, tilts when going up hills, he loves it, however he could keep up when we went out for a proper ride on Sunday;)

i have seen a couple smart bikes on ebay, but they're always collection only due to size/weight. i live in hope of one local to me!

I was thinking of a Tacx Flow to use with my road bike, however reading this thread makes me think I should use my exercise bike, I only need to get my knee back up to strength after I aggravated an old injury.

I find hill or beach walking more enjoyable than being on a bike on the open roads these days.

Around here the country roads are full of white vans and boy racers, twice I have been forced off the road, even when walking on some of the country roads I meet people commenting about the traffic and how dangerous it is.

I use a Wattbike Atom. I initially used it with their own app but found that very dull. Now using it with Zwift which I really enjoy. It’s amazing how those sprints bring out my competitive spirit.

I know it’s not the same thing as a turbo trainer but I mention it because it has a surprisingly small footprint. I’ve been able to bring it in from the garage which has meant I use it a lot more often.

I have a really cheap one, it is totally basic, fixes to my road bike and does what I want, i.e. gives me dry and warm exercise.

Never liked the idea of mounting my good road frame to one of those things, bike frame rear triangles are not designed for those fixed mounting forces under pedaling loads.

Besides, I'll sweat all over the recumbent -mix it up- at the gym on those days I can't ride, and not in my house, then I'll sweat some more in the sauna.

Never liked the idea of mounting my good road frame to one of those things, bike frame rear triangles are not designed for those fixed mounting forces under pedaling.
Yes it’s something that has long been on my mind, also that the trainer including modern smart trainer axle is subjected to that continuous side to side rocking motion with each pedal stroke, let alone hard sprinting.

It hasn’t stopped me being an indoor rider increasingly in recent years and with 60 only a year and a bit away, but the twisting forces have made me look into rocker plates. A whole industry seems to be sprinting up inevitably and some high prices to match so also a popular DIY scene emerging too. The large footprint of these boards was the biggest issue in my set up but I can see it would be fine for many, so I am about to receive this take on it below. These are for the Elite Direto but you can see he makes different ones.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/937...ick_sum=3dcc20ed&ref=shop_home_active_2&crt=1

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/100...m=3063e2c6&ref=shop_home_active_6&frs=1&sca=1

I’ll report back here if I wasted my money or if it is both good for comfort and hopefully for bike and trainer.

I've just finished setting up my Boardman bike so I can use it on my TACX Flow and it was a minor hassle due to that bike having a bolt through rear axle, so I had to buy an adaptor so it could be used. I've also not used that bike in a while so also had to figure out where I'd stored the charger for it's Di2 gearing - but all good to go now. Or will be when I remember where I'd left my road shoes for this house!

advertisement

Back