advertisement

Any cyclists using turbo trainers?

Neil P

pfm Member
I'm only after some sympathy ... my turbo (literally) went crack/pop this morning ... now have wait to find out if repair is possible. 4 years old, £1k when new. Will not be happy if it ends up in a skip!

My Tacx basic turbo trainer must be close to 30 years old now and still works perfectly in the winter months in my garage

Hateful things and yes I have one! A Wahoo KickR Core.

What make is it? I expect it will be repairable.

It's a tacx neo 2, smart trainer so i can use zwift etc. From looking on youtube it is a motherboard inside that needs replacing ... i just hope it can be done either myself, or cheaply via the manufacturer.

It's a tacx neo 2, smart trainer so i can use zwift etc. From looking on youtube it is a motherboard inside that needs replacing ... i just hope it can be done either myself, or cheaply via the manufacturer.

I was told to avoid Taxc as they are less reliable than Wahoo. Hope you can get it fixed as I know they are excellent trainers otherwise.

I bought the zwift hub when it came out, really enjoyed using it (I’m not a cyclist, just wanted something to help me get a bit fitter). Have fallen out of routine and need to get back in to it, but I have a 2 week old baby taking up my time at the moment!

Cheap spin bike here but I prefer to be outside any time it’s not icy and not too wet. Good for HIIT intervals though.

Hope the OT can get his TT fixed - I hate throwing things away when they break (sometimes to the chagrin of my wife).

Last edited:
I've got a one of the lower end Tacx Flow smart trainers (about £250 I think) and while I don't like doing more than an hour on it I do find it's too bad when on Zwift. I've had that for maybe 7 or 8 years and it still seems fine.

I bought the zwift hub when it came out, really enjoyed using it (I’m not a cyclist, just wanted something to help me get a bit fitter). Have fallen out of routine and need to get back in to it, but I have a 2 week old baby taking up my time at the moment!

I'll probably go for a zwift hub if I need to replace my tacx. I remember my kids when 2 ish toddling t
I was told to avoid Taxc as they are less reliable than Wahoo. Hope you can get it fixed as I know they are excellent trainers otherwise.

I had a couple of 1st/2nd gen wahoo which failed, and the tacx (3rd gen) seems to have lasted better. Swings and roundabouts... Evolving tech, price paid, luck of the draw.

That new zwift hub caught my eye. Will probably get one if my tacx isn't repairable. I only use mine for an hour 5 times a week, and not putting out mega watts. I was intending to get the Zwift bike when announced, shame they canned it.

Last edited:
Fell off mine in the garage once, didn’t half go down with a clatter and a bang! :D

(Pissing things they are).

Forgot I had my Tacx and I've just been a few weeks off the road
Could put it in the open garage and get plenty of air

Also need to find it

Always worth a look on eBay, mate of mine bought an all singing & dancing Wahoo watt bike for £1200, they are £3500 new. Variable resistance, tilts when going up hills, he loves it, however he could keep up when we went out for a proper ride on Sunday;)

I have a set of Kreitler rollers which I felt were more fun than a turbo trainer, though to be honest I lost interest and they are all boxed up. I should think about selling them really. My main problem was space and ventilation, the narrow hallway was the only available space and cycling in dead air really is no fun. The rollers as a thing are actually great though as it takes some skill to keep balanced, so it doesn’t feel like just pedalling away going nowhere in a gym. I suspect it improves cadence etc too as you need to put the power down pretty consistently around the whole pedal revolution. This and the balance aspect (riding rollers is way more ‘twitchy’ than a road) definitely make them fun though. If I had a big ventilated space I’d likely have stuck with them.

advertisement

Back