advertisement

Any CCTV/Security camera installers on here?

On the Hikvision cameras you can setup one or more privacy masks, which black out sections of the image you don’t want to record. I use 4mm Hikvision cameras which have a field of view encroaching slightly onto a neighbouring property. A privacy mask blocks the camera from seeing on their side of the fence (side passage).

On the Hikvision cameras you can setup one or more privacy masks, which black out sections of the image you don’t want to record. I use 4mm Hikvision cameras which have a field of view encroaching slightly onto a neighbouring property. A privacy mask blocks the camera from seeing on their side of the fence (side passage).

Aye I’m aware of that feature thanks

Plenty properties around here have cameras facing out towards pavements and doorbell cams which are exactly perpendicular to the house so point out to the street. I’ve not heard of anyone here having their door knocked to disclose footage. It all depends on your end objective, if you really want a CCTV set up with benefits that brings you’ll find a way to do it.

Plenty properties around here have cameras facing out towards pavements and doorbell cams which are exactly perpendicular to the house so point out to the street. I’ve not heard of anyone here having their door knocked to disclose footage. It all depends on your end objective, if you really want a CCTV set up with benefits that brings you’ll find a way to do it.

Thanks, I had no idea how much of a minefield cctv was, we’ve lived here for fifteen years and have had a couple of instances in that time but I don’t know if it’s worth the hassle or expense being honest.

Post four in this thread pretty much sets out responsibilities of people installing CTTV.

I’m sure that most people don’t either care or are aware of those responsibilities but it could be a complete nightmare if something goes wrong.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/external-sec-cam-with-mic-very-small-weiner.2353425/

Thanks, I had no idea how much of a minefield cctv was, we’ve lived here for fifteen years and have had a couple of instances in that time but I don’t know if it’s worth the hassle or expense being honest.

Post four in this thread pretty much sets out responsibilities of people installing CTTV.

I’m sure that most people don’t either care or are aware of those responsibilities but it could be a complete nightmare if something goes wrong.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/external-sec-cam-with-mic-very-small-weiner.2353425/

One incident of my Dad's that springs to mind- one of his cameras on the corner of the house picks up pretty much more street than house, something happened in that corner of the street and the Police clocked the camera and straight away came asking for footage that could help them, not once did they mention that is was covering a fair section of the road.

Since then if anything happens round about they always come and see him to see if he picked anything up, I regularly joke with him that he should be on the payroll or at the very least get a reduction in his council tax.

Thanks for the advice and feedback guys, think what I’m going to do is buy a Vari focal camera and fix the focal length to 12.5mm and try it at various points around the front of the house, think I just need a long cat5e cable and connect it to the router temporarily and access it via the camera’s IP address, I’ll also need a POE adapter I presume or is there an easier temporary solution, anyone know?
Tony

I think you are making it more of a minefield than it is. Purchases some cameras slap them on the wall. Job done, like everyone else.

I think you are making it more of a minefield than it is. Purchases some cameras slap them on the wall. Job done, like everyone else.

I’m an engineer mate, there’s no point in buying a £200 camera banging it on the wall and it doesn’t do what you need.

Varifocal cameras are better for most applications but unfortunately they’re pretty expensive @ £250 and up to £800-ish.

Have to say that your input is a bit questionable to say the least.

Probably best that you unsubscribe from this thread.

You’ll get a used / unboxed whatev off eBay for under £50 to try things out then you can always sell for same money post trial.

You’ll get a used / unboxed whatev off eBay for under £50 to try things out then you can always sell for same money post trial.

Thanks, Farnell does a Vari-focal Iphd camera for about £60, I might buy one for the trial, there’s excellent videos on YouTube from a Canadian guy I think he has five cameras in a test rig and he’s pretty good at explaining how to select which cameras.

X-Vision cameras they look pretty decent too btw

https://cpc.farnell.com/b/x-vision

Thanks for the advice and feedback guys, think what I’m going to do is buy a Vari focal camera and fix the focal length to 12.5mm and try it at various points around the front of the house, think I just need a long cat5e cable and connect it to the router temporarily and access it via the camera’s IP address, I’ll also need a POE adapter I presume or is there an easier temporary solution, anyone know?
Tony
It’s all a bit of a minefield, I have a proper CCTV at work, registered, ready for access requests for a DVD copy and all signage up, 3 cameras and DVR cost about £1500 6 years back. About to replace it with high res IP Cams and PoE once COVID is a memory, likel next year so goal posts will have moved.

For PoE a switch that carries voltage over RJ45 is handy to save needing an injector and mains socket, not expensive from £25, I use TP Link as a cheapo and Unifi gear as 1st choice.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=poe+sw...wivh+5,computers,166&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Buy a PoE switch they are cheap enough, don't faff around with PoE injectors IMHO...

this, I've replaced all my switches with POE ones. Got a great 16 port one on ebay for about 55 a few months ago.

Could do with another 16 port one

Hi guys, I’ve ordered a cheap Vari-focal camera, some cable and a cheap POE switch.

I had a word with Dave, on the website below, and he gave me some good advice but this stuff is only temporary to allow me to make a decision, total cost was £80 and I’ll be able to use the cable (30m) for another camera and possibly the switch which was also dirt cheap, the camera was about £45 including vat so no big deal if it’s not very good it’s only to have a play really.

Dave advised me to go for motorised VF lenses when I decide what sort of system I go for he was saying that most professionals use those sort of lenses cause you can adjust the focal length of the camera remotely rather than the manual one I’ve bought, apparently you adjust the focal length by adjusting two screws on the camera.

Tony

https://www.hdcctv.co.uk/collections/ip-cctv-recorders-1?pf_t_brand=XVISION

My camera and the other stuff arrived yesterday so had a bit of a play and I have to say I'm pretty impressed for the cost so far.

I accessed the camera via it's IP address with IE and an HP laptop, my MacBook Pro with Safari 14.0.3 wouldn't connect to the camera saying that I had to install Safari 11 but no big deal for the moment.

I think I'll probably use the cheap camera for something once I get things proper organised.

I intend to buy a decent NVR and at least two motorised varifocal lenses to begin with and I'll probably buy them from the guy above as they have pretty good on-going support and seem to sell to professional installers and therefore know what they're selling and are able to advise properly.

They also have very good videos on their website and explanations regarding resolution and MP which is interesting so for example, 5mp cameras have a slightly taller video aspect ratio than a 8mp camera thus making the 5mp camera a better option for height.

I'll maybe post some images when I can get my head round the camera's software.

Tony

Last edited:
Here's a photo capture from the camera looking through my lounge window.

3-A669-BCF-8238-4059-A92-F-3-F1930-C83-C33.jpg

advertisement

Back