advertisement

Any CCTV/Security camera installers on here?

twotone

pfm Member
Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice regarding installing a decent CCTV set up in a detached 1936 bungalow the house sits up and away from a main road roughly 10ft and 40ft with two houses either side.

I only need the front of the house and up one side of the house monitored.

I can install myself,I think, but don't mind paying for a pro install, access is decent in the loft re camera positions as is power and access to the router.

Probably prefer a wired install rather than wireless.

Thanks

Tony

Cameras are part of my electronic security day job. I'll admit a strong prejudice in favor of network CAT-5e/6 systems. The reason is that if you have to replace equipment (cameras or DVR) at least the wiring structure is reusable and very,very few of us will ever attract the kind of expertise and equipment needed to remotely "break into" a wired camera system. But for pity sake -STRONG PASSWORDS. If possible try to avoid proprietary systems -these will be very attractive pricewise initially-but three or four years down the line when you need a replacement camera it will either be un-available or amazingly expensive. Always buy a DVR with more camera inputs than you need -iif you don't use them ever -that's not terribly tragic-but if you need just one more angle -it will be so handy. The guy who taught me the most about video observation had a mantra "It take 2 to see if somethings happening and three to have any idea what's happening". Protect the DVR -a alarm system plus video is a powerful security tool-replacing unprotected DVR's are the easiest job I do. Please remember - you have NO right to spy on your neighbors if they aren't on your property.

Cameras are part of my electronic security day job. I'll admit a strong prejudice in favor of network CAT-5e/6 systems. The reason is that if you have to replace equipment (cameras or DVR) at least the wiring structure is reusable and very,very few of us will ever attract the kind of expertise and equipment needed to remotely "break into" a wired camera system. But for pity sake -STRONG PASSWORDS. If possible try to avoid proprietary systems -these will be very attractive pricewise initially-but three or four years down the line when you need a replacement camera it will either be un-available or amazingly expensive. Always buy a DVR with more camera inputs than you need -iif you don't use them ever -that's not terribly tragic-but if you need just one more angle -it will be so handy. The guy who taught me the most about video observation had a mantra "It take 2 to see if somethings happening and three to have any idea what's happening". Protect the DVR -a alarm system plus video is a powerful security tool-replacing unprotected DVR's are the easiest job I do. Please remember - you have NO right to spy on your neighbors if they aren't on your property.

Thanks @audiopile.

The cameras won't be monitoring the neighbouring properties, just the front of the house down to the drive entrance and the drive where the cars are park plus the side gate of the house on the left hand side at the front looking from the front of the house.

I had a look at Swann's website but some reviews complained about poor customer service which kind of put me off however they are doing a four camera kit for £349 including everything required (more or less) for the install.

Access is decent re the loft and down to the router so I'm presuming that you can run an ethernet cable from the router to the DVR and stick that in the loft then run the cameras & mic etc off the DVR in the loft/close to the camera positions or do you need to have the DVR local ie in the house and accessible?

Tony

I have unifi protect, its decent enough. I like that my footage is stored on my server and there is no monthly fee. Not the cheapest but I also like the POE connectivity one wire and you are done.

had cctv installed professionally under a grand and its been worth every penny, they come every year to check it over too .

You guys who have CCTV, surely it’s only really worthwhile if it’s high quality, 4G and cloud based, plus power back up etc? Pretty pointless if someone breaks in and walks out with your DVR under their arm, or just disables your broadband / trips the main power switch etc? Also, will the police actually accept / act on any home CCTV footage?

I see it more as a preventative measure.

Video quality is excellent including night vision. Unless Ethan Hunt is after me I doubt a dumb ass thief is going to work out how to get sensibly to my house or cameras before they are recorded on it. then they have to find the harddrive my data is being stored too. Its stored locally so really they have to cut the electric, I just dont see that happening, at least I dont have anything that valuable to make it worth while.

I have no idea about the police, I have to think it could at least be used to narrow down some perps but would be very much based on whether they can be arsed to investigate a burglary.

I've had occasion to contact the police recently, a guy came to my door cold calling about some roughcasting work and I told him I wasn't really interested but thanks anyway and he started giving me loads of abuse so when he eventually left I called the police and when they arrived the first thing they asked for was did I have any CCTV images or did any of my neighbours have a security cameras and that got me thinking that I should maybe think about getting something sorted which is why I've started doing research.

As an aside nothing was done about the guy I called the police about there was only him and I on the drive so no other witnesses, police dropped the case, can't blame them frankly I only called them because I was concerned that the guy would come back and damage the property or the cars on the drive.

Also I live on a main road and the house is pretty open at the front with a lot of pedestrian traffic and cars on the road.

Two G4s would be 400, the switch 112 and the cloud key gen 2 180. This system can be added too later if you wished. You woul dneed cat 6 cable to get to the cameras, and back to the switch. The switch will power the cameras over POE. All data will be stored on the cloud keys 1gb supplied harddrive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JCTVQ88/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004BQCKXO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HLLC1TC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

They have a whole raft of different camera types.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You guys who have CCTV, surely it’s ottnly really worthwhile if it’s high quality, 4G and cloud based, plus power back up etc? Pretty pointless if someone breaks in and walks out with your DVR under their arm, or just disables your broadband / trips the main power switch etc? Also, will the police actually accept / act on any home CCTV footage?

yes mine recorded on a hard disk for a number of days , just 4 weeks ago a crime was reported outside the house and a policeman attended to look at cctv . its really good to keep an eye on things at home , over past 3 years the builders from hell have been working next door and i have watched them from all over , 2 years ago i was travelling on a train across Switzerland watching them crawling all over my roof doing their thing . invaluable tool

Hi guys, I've done a fair bit of research and this system below seems pretty decent.

I've had a word with their sales rep re camera etc (I sent him photos of the house) and he just said the same as I thought that one camera should be fine but you can add more as required.

They're using power network adaptors so basically all you do is plug the camera into a power socket and the DVR into another power socket and that's it, no need to wire anything and you can either use a monitor (think theirs is £199) or the TV via HDMI.

Cost is £1048 delivered however they're a Dutch based company with an office in England but the price includes customs charges and delivery charges with three days delivery.

I looked at the UNIFI system, their G4 Pro camera is £400 odds plus £300 for the switch and the DVR, reviews are very good though for the protect set up but I'm not convinced that the G4 Pro camera is as good as the Bascom one which is 2.5 X Full HD

Tony

https://www.bascom-cameras.co.uk/wireless-1-bullet-system-plus

I took the poor man's option and use these wireless ones

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074389PMT/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

with modified firmware freely available from github so they do not communicate out onto the web (though you have the option to do so), recording to my home server using Contacam (free), and uploading via FTP to Dropbox, so even if the buggers steal the cams and server we still have the footage at least...

Takes a little effort (bit like setting up a Rpi) but a very low cost solution and seems to work well. Their outdoor cams can also be modded.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
wonder what effect power adaptors will have on your mains and therefore your hifi ?

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/interference-crackling-from-powerline-adaptors/7342

how do you record stuff ?

seems mighty expensive to me . i paid 900 for 4 very high res cameras , dvr box including fitting all connected bay cat 5 [ along the gutters so no wires everywhere ]

No, I never record anything except stuff from the TV via a Panasonic video recorder.

Aye agree it’s expensive, I’ve just priced up another system from a local electrical supplier roughly £550 but the reviews are poor.

Wired isn’t an issue and can be done easily enough but the guy recommended the wireless system based on what I told him.

The camera seems very good though, full autofocus and motorised, angle of view isn’t massive though but it’s 2.5 X HD however it should be fine for my application which is basically above the front door looking out into the drive.

The only thing that concerns me, apart from the price, is that there isn’t any independent reviews of the company or the equipment, certainly I can’t find any anyway the reviews are all trust pilot sort of stuff mainly regarding the customer service.

advertisement

Back