advertisement

Any Cambridge Audio CD2 owners here?

Mike P

Trade: Pickwell Audio
I recently bought a Cambridge Audio CD2 as a restoration/repair project and I'd be interested to share info with any fellow owners.

So, let me know if you've got one. :)

No CD2 but I've still got a CD1 up in the loft.

Even more amazingly, it still works!

Best thing to do with unused old gear is to give them a workout once in a while just to reform / recharge all the electrolytic capacitors.

What I know about the CD1 CD2 is they have isues with display LEDs, segments go AWOL and loading trays get lazy, catch them before they fail.

Good luck with the restoration projects.

I've almost finished the recap and a full strip and rebuild of the laser mech. I promise to post some pics soon!

Still trying to track down a copy of the schematic....

Nope, the one I have is three boxes as it has the optional drop-out error counter unit.

Not really becasue, not only am I very fond of it, it's not actually "mine" to sell (it's a long story...)

My ex-CD3 just had an LED on front panel that lit during drop outs. I sold my CD3 on after investing a lot of time rebuilding it - it sounded a bit too full or fat and flabby compared to Naim single 1541 implementations. Very nice, but I preferred the sound of the Naim CDI. CD3 used 4 vanilla tda1541a chips for stereo. I *think* the CD1 used 3 tda1540 chips per channel. I would love to get my dirty little mits on one, and regardless how it sounded, I’d never sell it.

@Mike P - as per previous thread, I think the CD2 has more in common with the CD3 than the CD1...but when are you posting some photos? :)

...but when are you posting some photos? :)

Quite right Richard, sorry.

Here you go, a few pics to get things started.

This is the player with the lid off but before I started work on it (apart from giving the innards a quick clean out with the vacuum cleaner).

20180925_115121 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

The four DAC cards.

20180925_115134 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Main PCB
20180925_115146 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

CDM 4/11
20180925_115156 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Analogue/output board.

The IC's on the 'secret' board on the left have all had their part numbers sanded off.

20180925_145935 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

That last photo is the same shift-register PCB as in my CD3 by the looks of it, and was the cause of no audio out on mine (traced to one faulty chip) - I included close up photos of that PCB in my rebuild thread, and chip part numbers are intact :)

It is amazing that those old paper based single sided PCBs are still working. Any stress at all and joints crack

It is amazing that those old paper based single sided PCBs are still working. Any stress at all and joints crack

The PCBs are in nice condition. I haven't come across any dodgy joints yet although I reflowed the usual suspects just to be sure.

That last photo is the same shift-register PCB as in my CD3 by the looks of it, and was the cause of no audio out on mine (traced to one faulty chip) - I included close up photos of that PCB in my rebuild thread, and chip part numbers are intact :)

Here's the 'secret' board on mine. See how the part numbers have been ground off the IC's! They really were trying to keep it secret. At this point I'd just removed one chip.

P1100901 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Populated with new chips:
P1100904 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

I also improved decoupling by adding 0.1uF axial X7R ceramics on the back side.
P1100903 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

I've also finished the PCB on the CDM4/11 laser mech.

20181003_135338 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

The 47uF caps (top left) are Panasonic FC and the pair of 220uF (bottom right) are Rubycon ZLH. I used a 47uF Vishay in place of the 33uF axial electro and the 1.5uF bipolar got swapped to an MKS boxed radial film (small white box middle front).

Lovely neat work there..... even if l cannot understand it.:)

If l recall correctly the CD2 was cutting edge at the time, way ahead of its time, ( hence the secrecy of some parts?)

advertisement

Back