advertisement

Another Thorens TD124 overhaul

Point noted re iron lower platter. Alas, the chance of finding one without having to buy an entire TD124 must be incredibly low.

They definitely crop up, though the price does seem to be increasing as more realise they sound better than the alloy, but don’t want to spend LOLprice on a Swissonor, Schopper or whatever. Just keep your eye out, one will find you as there are some who need the alloy (e.g. want to run a Decca), or have just bought one of the aforementioned boutique platters.

I’ve had mine since before Brexit when importing stuff wasn’t a total ball-ache. It came from France and I think cost me about £120 landed. It is a beautiful thing.

I will certainly keep an eye out. Especially if the runout on my platter is visible - I too am extremely fussy on that and have swapped many turntables over it. I am in love with the way I can look at my Garrard 401 platter and can’t even tell if it’s moving, it’s engineering joyousness.

I’ve gone from being totally triggered by the non-flatness of my original top platter, to a Schopper one which was much better, but still not 100%, to the Retrotone which I honestly can’t see moving at all. It’s gone from the worst turntable for run-out I’ve owned to maybe the best, i.e. up there with a P9, Xerxes, Spacedeck etc. It is a really good product.

Annoyingly I don’t think Retrotone sell via eBay anymore. I knew I wanted one, but waited until one of eBay’s discount codes came up, I think I got 15% off, which on something that expensive makes a difference! May even have been 20%. I know at the time the discount more than paid for the cork under mat thing, and also the top mat adapter so you can use any mat, which I’m sure I’ll never use (I love the look of the Thorens and the dinked 45 adapter), but thought I’d land it regardless.

As reported by Mike earlier in the thread I followed his advice and got one of the $200 eBay schopper platters as I'd already separately decided to use it with MM/MI carts only. Luckily I didn't get charged customs. It's amazing, that (albeit) slight hollow / ringing sound is gone, it sounds absolutely rock solid and pitch perfect and there's no anxiety about whether it's fitted correctly as there is with the alloy one.

But I know all too well concern about rising costs of the project!

I might get some of those $$$ back if I choose to sell the alloy one. They send it in pretty good packaging which will help that sale to happen.

I broke even selling the alloy one. They are still in demand as some folk like having both should they want to run a Decca etc.

The Retrotone being taller than the stock platter will reduce the magnetic pull a bit. The iron platter is certainly safe with a DL-103 and SPU. Just measure the tracking force over the platter at record playing height. IIRC there is about 0.25-0.4g magnetic attraction, which can easily be dialled out with these ancient carts that track at 2.5-4g. It is Deccas and modern carts with really strong neodymium magnets that will stick like a fridge magnet! I’ve happily used a DL-103 with the iron platter. Sounds great.

By some good fortune I found a buyer for my 1200G last night, so I bought one of the original iron sub platters through the Schopper eBay shop. If something's worth doing, it's worth doing properly and that will be my approach to the TD124.

Mike, it might take a while to arrive in Sheffield, but I'm in no hurry.

The iron is unlikely to be an issue for me - I'm running a Nagaoka MP-500, same as you I think Tony.

Schopper usually have original used platters for sale on ebay. I bought mine that way.

This batch seem to be selling out. I’m sure there were 5 available yesterday.

What’s involved in fitting one of these? Is is just a matter of unbolting the spindle from the old one and fitting to the new? Is there any shimming or careful alignment required?

regards

Kevin

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This batch seem to be selling out. I’m sure there were 5 available yesterday.

What’s involved in fitting one of these? Is is just a matter of unbolting the spindle from the old one and fitting to the new? Is there any shimming or careful alignment required?

regards

Kevin
The iron platter self centres, no alignment is needed. The only thing to be conscious of is to do the three screws each a little at a time or the platter might not go on level.

Oh and remember to remove the adaptor plate along with the alloy platter. The iron platter screws directly onto the spindle.

You might need to adjust the clutch afterwards too.

Ha! Really? What a strange choice! I love it

There are two different colours of it out there too, an olive green like mine and a much lighter almost lime green.

23977496533_245dae9fef_b.jpg

It is an amazing casting, really beautifully done with its painted strobe underneath. The mounting surfaces and idler-track are unpainted. No idea why they chose green, but Lenco did too, the underneath of a L70 or G88 platter is painted a very similar green.

PS Yes, I’m a heretic, I use allen bolts! Just so much easier to use and it means I’m not marking up the original slot-head screws. Makes it so much easier getting the main bearing assembly out for a clean.

Hi,
Are you using a DL103 or is it an old photo?

Old photo. I do have one, though it isn’t in right now. Currently a fixed-shell S2 Improved and a V15/III! Swapping arms is just so easy on this deck, I have my usual 3009 on another armboard. A five minute job; just three screws and swap a lead over.

PS The counterweight is so far back as there are a couple of extra mass-weights in the headshell.

Moving to the cast iron platter made a world of difference on my 124... I couldn't get the Zamac platter centered to save my life, and the reduction in rumble was pretty startling as well.

Quick thread drift and a learning question if l may..... having heard years ago a Notts Analogue Mentor ( which l believe had a cast iron platter) what makes Iron desirable as platter material?

The Mentor sounded very good. 👍

It seems high mass and pretty inert for a metal casting. The negative from the 124 perspective is it is magnetic so some cartridges with very strong magnets can stick to it. I don’t recall the NAS having any magnetic properties.

As far as the 124 is concerned it is just a much, much better platter. It is heavier, rings less, is an interference-fit over the main spindle so doesn’t need centring and just brings a real heft, stability and solidity to the sound. I’d go as far as saying Thorens didn’t think the alloy platter through properly. It was only ever an option (though most 124/IIs seem to have shipped with it) and it seems very compromised and cost-cut in comparison.

advertisement

Back