advertisement

Another mains fuse hits the streets

Interesting, Ian; I wonder why, though, when ring mains have been in, have been improved and have been successful for 75+ years. Personally, I just can't see any advantage from separate radials which are then split (requiring fused 13 A plugs presumably) per floor (or room?). Baffles me to what advantages this brings, and why kitchens/utterly rooms are deemed better with a ring. Any ideas?

Just thought; the lighting circuits will presumably remain as low current rings ?????
A radial for oven, washing machine, tumble dryer, dish washer, sockets =
5 circuits requiring protection against only two.

Interesting, Ian; I wonder why, though, when ring mains have been in, have been improved and have been successful for 75+ years. Personally, I just can't see any advantage from separate radials which are then split (requiring fused 13 A plugs presumably) per floor (or room?). Baffles me to what advantages this brings, and why kitchens/utterly rooms are deemed better with a ring. Any ideas?

Just thought; the lighting circuits will presumably remain as low current rings ?????
One advantage is that if a break in a ring occurs you won’t know and the remaining cable ‘could’ overload. A break in a radial will just result in some of the circuit going dead so you will know.

Sinergistic Research Orange fuse.

Label peeled off - Bussmann logo still visible

s2dJm42.jpeg

Black stuff, Graphene apparently

mk1IL63.jpeg

Original 13A print

awZoSqM.jpeg

Inside
kMkOHTX.jpeg

Genuine Bussmann fuse for 50p for comparison

X1lqtqM.jpeg
Jesus. Even when it's shown to be a standard Bussmann fuse with a new label there are still belivers. As for graphene, you would be very foolish to put that on a fuse because it conducts electricity. I now know why there are Creationists who carry on believing that the earth is only 250, 000 years old (or is it 25k?) even having seen fossils that are known to be millions of years old.

A radial for oven, washing machine, tumble dryer, dish washer, sockets =
5 circuits requiring protection against only two.
A previous poster said 'radials to all rooms except kitchen/utterly' You seem to suggest the opposite, Ian. I guess anything with heaters not exceeding 3kW is fine on a ring (providing there are not too many). Don't understand you second sentence (or =) I'm afraid.
One advantage is that if a break in a ring occurs you won’t know and the remaining cable ‘could’ overload. A break in a radial will just result in some of the circuit going dead so you will know.
Baffled.. Can't see any difference between a break in one circuit or the other, except when the radial is greater than the customary 2.5 mm2 of a ring. I guess you'd know in either case by sockets malfunctioning, though in the case of radials the spurs to sockets would have clearer pathways.

Well, I did say all accessible connections, not just fuses. I know this is irrelevant to electronics, but a few years back I had a table lamp which was erratic. Sometimes would come on, sometimes flicker, etc. I simply cleaned up the pins which were really oxidised, after checking all else. No prob's after that. I don't think the (toroidal) trannies are the be all and end all for restoring/reducing increased impedance levels cause by oxidisation etc.

Of course, I've long been an advocate of the mains supply being the prime source, despite Ivor's former protestations of his fruit box being it. :)
I agree about good contacts, obviously. They are essential. This is a prerequisite to everything else. But polishing fuses?

And render it unsafe, against regs and probably illegal, so that had better not be what it’s painted with.

It's getting increasingly hard to comprehend just how bonkers this thread is.

But then I have to remind myself that people are ready and willing to believe all kinds of stuff that isn't real or true from deities to ghosts and other paranormal phenomena, alien life forms, the age of the earth and that 69 virgins are waiting for you in heaven if you commit murder/suicide. Magical hifi fuses rank fairly low in the overall scheme.

Out in the former colonies in SE Asia, we follow UK practice except our mains sockets are daisy chained in a room, not in a ring. Each room on a 20A MCB. Plugs are UK style fused.
It's the same here these days. Rings are normally only used in a kitchen circuit.

And render it unsafe, against regs and probably illegal, so that had better not be what it’s painted with.
Most certainly illegal as it would no longer comply with the relevant regs. As Martin said earlier, the "manufacturers" use an existing Bussmann fuse that they know meets the legal standards and certification before adding their own label.

A previous poster said 'radials to all rooms except kitchen/utterly' You seem to suggest the opposite, Ian. I guess anything with heaters not exceeding 3kW is fine on a ring (providing there are not too many). Don't understand you second sentence (or =) I'm afraid.

Baffled.. Can't see any difference between a break in one circuit or the other, except when the radial is greater than the customary 2.5 mm2 of a ring. I guess you'd know in either case by sockets malfunctioning, though in the case of radials the spurs to sockets would have clearer pathways.
Hi Mike, you asked why we didn't use only radials, that was an example. Having five rcbo's or two for the kitchen.

ind that 69 virgins are waiting for you in heaven
actually 72, I think,

Think the difference could be the vestigial commission.
Hi Mike, you asked why we didn't use only radials, that was an example. Having five rcbo's or two for the kitchen.
Think we were at cross porpoises there but I think I now understand why a ring is used for those appliances. Still can't understand any benefits coming from individual (?) room radials, though, over currently 2 or 3 rings. Ease of routing, maybe? Unlikely, I'd've thought.

It's getting increasingly hard to comprehend just how bonkers this thread is.

But then I have to remind myself that people are ready and willing to believe all kinds of stuff that isn't real or true from deities to ghosts and other paranormal phenomena, alien life forms, the age of the earth and that 69 virgins are waiting for you in heaven if you commit murder/suicide. Magical hifi fuses rank fairly low in the overall scheme.
As noted by others you’re Three Virgins Short, which by the way would make a great name for a band.

advertisement

Back