advertisement

Another mains fuse hits the streets

RCDs detect difference between current in Live and Neutral. This maximum allowed difference should be 30 mA for circuits with a socket outlet.
This happens because of leakage to earth - you touching something. It does not detect a L-N short.
MCBs detect excess current on the Live wire, just like a fuse. It is to prevent the cable burning.
Sometimes the two are combined into a single module - RCBO -that detects either fault

• 1,000,000 volt Quantum Treatment
  • 2nd Stage Rev. 2.0 Molecular realignment process
Ah... Well that explains it.

If they did that to me, 72 virgins just wouldn't be enough!

Clearly beaten to it! I haven't been following the thread closely (obviously).

I admit these "products" sort of just piss me off. The hobby I love being overtaken by shiteshillers and snake oil salesmen across the board.

I daren't go into a hifi shop these days lest I trip over a hosepipe masquerading as a speaker cable and injure myself by falling onto a non British Standard electrically compliant mains lead which electrocutes me.

What I don't understand is why the Trading Standards Authorities continually fail to shut these shysters down.

The drive to that has only really happened since last update to IEE regs 18th ed which is what , 2 yrs old. tho' based on the 17th version of 4-5-6yrs previous.

Almost everyone here in UK homes, interested in such, are dealing with ring mains, yet - for a long time.

I’ve recently installed a new ring main in our living room. It’s a big room and the alternative was two 4mm radials so I thought if I’m going to run two legs I might as well install a ring. A pair of 2.5s is so much easier to get into a 25mm back box. Old habits die hard I’m afraid. The music system does have its own dedicated radial though🙂

To make matters worse there are now a lot of counterfeit mains fuses around, see "Counterfeit BS1362 mains fuses" on the web. I came across one in a product supplied by amazon which I returned. In my opinion it makes sense to only buy safety related fuses from a reputable supplier like RS
or Farnell no matter how good you might think these foo fuses sound.

They were relatively (to MCBs) pricey when I did my installation but I thought they'd come down in price since then. Anyway, you don't need RCBOs. You can have MCBs with a covering RCD, similar to what's in my (and many others') domestic c.u.

Not easily now due to latest regs on safety. You're far better served with rcbo's on every circuit.

When ever I have been able I take 10mm^2 to individual sockets direct from a dedicated CU (connected as heavily to the main incoming fuse as possible), so no ring main for the hi-fi and no need for a main in line fuse as you now have this on the CU for each unit as noted RCBO or MCB and if you take the trouble to have the same length cable from CU to plug and the same lead length to unit you have a nice star earth as well.

Not sure on the latest regs, in the past I went from a CU in the AV room fed from an industrial size cable from the incoming 100A fuse and then from the CU direct to IEC's, so no mains plug or fuse, the elecrtician was happy with this even though he though I as mad as each dedicated line was rated and fused at the CU

Awhile back a mate of mine was Rhodium plating for TCI before they decided it was a good idea and found a cheaper supplier 🤦🏻 During this time he Rhodium plated a fuse shaped bar we used for most of our kit, TBH the only proper fuse you need is the one where you plug it in according to my Electrician friend👍🏻 BTW they didn’t cost £4200🤣🤣

advertisement

Back