advertisement

Another Leak Stereo 20 restoration

I'm not familiar with these amps except by repute, particularly threads on pfm, but I wouldn't mind betting that these beautifully restored versions sound better than when they left the factory. I think I want one before I die :cool:

I'm not familiar with these amps except by repute, particularly threads on pfm, but I wouldn't mind betting that these beautifully restored versions sound better than when they left the factory. I think I want one before I die :cool:
I want one before I die, and if I can survive another few weeks I'll die with amp.

Mines the beauty on page 1, Sir. Bit of a stunner to look at (although the Mrs amusingly thinks it looks like a train), but it sounds utterly fantastic.

Treat yourself. You will love it.

Mines the beauty on page 1, Sir. Bit of a stunner to look at (although the Mrs amusingly thinks it looks like a train), but it sounds utterly fantastic.

Treat yourself. You will love it.
Looks very nice - I really like the utilitarian form follows function aesthetic of these amps. I wonder what it would sound like compared with my current amps,

I assume you don't try and preserve the self-desoldering resistor, looks like it's threaded through the tag holes?
Most of the came from the factory like that as far as I can tell. Of the six I've restored only one had the tags cut so the resistor has any chance of dropping out.

Looks very nice - I really like the utilitarian form follows function aesthetic of these amps. I wonder what it would sound like compared with my current amps,

It all depends on your speakers, the Leaks are only 10 Watts a channel, albeit a superb sounding 10 Watts. If happy driving whatever the speakers are they perform at a very, very high level IMO. Not what people expect either, they are agile and funky in the old-school flat earth way, they just do natural timbre and soundstage too. Almost certainly the best amps I’ve owned, and I’ve owned things like Naim 135s, currently own a Pass Aleph 3 etc.

Most of the came from the factory like that as far as I can tell. Of the six I've restored only one had the tags cut so the resistor has any chance of dropping out.

I have a feeling it was done for a short while at the start of the bronze colour as the very early champagne Stereo 20s with the first version output transformers ran the EL84s and early main transformer very hard/hot and I get the impression a lot failed and ended up back at Leak. Hence the circuit redesign and transformer changes. That done they probably didn’t need the fail-resistor anymore. My ‘61 Stereo 20 has the tags cut, my 1950s champagne TL12 Plus don’t, and neither does the ‘65 grey Stereo 20. The heat problems obviously exacerbated by being expected to power a preamp and then likely being dumped in an enclosed cabinet.

PS First version Champagne colour Stereo 20s with black lettering are just crazy, crazy rare! I think I’ve only seen one fairly tatty one go through eBay. I think they were only made for maybe two years (‘58-60), and I guess very little uptake as so early into the stereo-era, plus a lot failed.

I have a feeling it was done for a short while at the start of the bronze colour as the very early champagne Stereo 20s with the first version output transformers ran the EL84s and early main transformer very hard/hot and I get the impression a lot failed and ended up back at Leak. Hence the circuit redesign and transformer changes. That done they probably didn’t need the fail-resistor anymore. My ‘61 Stereo 20 has the tags cut, my 1950s champagne TL12 Plus don’t, and neither does the ‘65 grey Stereo 20. The heat problems obviously exacerbated by being expected to power a preamp and then likely being dumped in an enclosed cabinet.

That makes perfect sense Tony and fits with what I've seen.

It all depends on your speakers, the Leaks are only 10 Watts a channel, albeit a superb sounding 10 Watts. If happy driving whatever the speakers are they perform at a very, very high level IMO. Not what people expect either, they are agile and funky in the old-school flat earth way, they just do natural timbre and soundstage too. Almost certainly the best amps I’ve owned, and I’ve owned things like Naim 135s, currently own a Pass Aleph 3 etc.

My speakers are HLP3ESRs currently being driven by a Jadis Orchestra integrated, and ROGERS LS3/5As currently being driven by a QUAD 33/303/FM3 combo.

I’ve had a few amps. The Leak is the best (with well matched speakers). We should have a Mike P ST20 owner’s club at this rate.

As Tony says, it’s funky flat-earth, not valve cliche in the slightest, imaging and soundstage thrown in. I suppose ultimate bass grip the only weak spot but that can be dealt with by valve choice to a large extent, and maybe different speakers to mine.

My speakers are HLP3ESRs currently being driven by a Jadis Orchestra integrated, and ROGERS LS3/5As currently being driven by a QUAD 33/303/FM3 combo.
Should work really well at any sensible volume. You'll need a passive preamp. I use a Khozmo that is well made and good value but many are available and discussed in various threads - how many inputs do you need?

I think the one I need to get done will go to Mike. I'm almost a little disappointed the case and paint are in good nick looking at these.

I think the one I need to get done will go to Mike. I'm almost a little disappointed the case and paint are in good nick looking at these.

You could buy the one he's just finished and sell on the one you have. Then you won't even have to wait :)

advertisement

Back