advertisement

An off-topic discussion from the system pics 2013 thread

Jonboi

Because Music Matters
Eye of the beholder, my friend, eye of the beholder. I, too, don't care for the way a lot of hifi setups look, but if it works for the owner it's great.

Raises head from behind sofa.... :)

Well sure, and believe it or not, I'm not trying to make snide remarks, just putting myself in the shoes of those would put overall balance re aesthetics and performance ahead of out and out sound quality, and repeating back here comments that I've heard from friends more interested in a balance of form and function from a HiFi system, than just function alone. If it seemed snide, I apologise - I did attempt to inject a little tongue in cheek humour, which seems to have not come across - sorry.

When I owned my separates kit + Mana Tables, the general comment from male and female friends interested in music, but not HiFi, was that it sounded great, but could not understand why it needed to be so expensive, and ultimately in their eyes poor value, and that it looked ugly. Now, them there's not my words, but the words of friends who heard and saw the system at that time. And admittedly, it was a bit of a mad inventors lair look - but hey, I was hooked on the sound and didn't really care - at the time.

I'd suggest, that many wives, partners, girlfriends and boyfriends who like music and movies, but aren't into hiFi as a hobby, would find many (but not necessarily all) audiophile setups not particularly pleasing aesthetically.

Certainly I get the impression that some setups are owned by folks for whom the sound is everything, and don't have partners to consider re any necessary aesthetic compromises to please significant others - and I've been there at one time. Of course I could be quite wrong - just something that strikes me from time to time with some audiophile setups that I see pics of - here and elsewhere.

Ducks down behind sofa... again... :)

JB

Wow, what a deeply insightful post. People have different taste and priorities? Now that's a revelation! Thanks, Jonboi

Of course! ;) But seriously, the comment was not directed at you but jonboi. There's no need for making snide remarks about people's hifi/decor/taste/etc.

Personally, I find it more interesting to look at setups where the owner is so into his hobby that he has gone overboard and makes no concession towards bourgeois standards of domestic decor.

Raises head above sofa...

Apologies that you felt I was being snide. I was actually trying to be more humorous and tongue in cheek with a bit of friendly stick poking, so apologies again that the lighter side of my cheeky comments didn't come across.

However, whereas once upon a time being an audiophile meant someone who is interested in the finer points of audio, it is arguably fair to say that in 2013 the term has become something rather derogatory, as audiophiles are generally laughed at and derided by both professionals and the general public alike for their oft excessive obsessions and belief in fairies and magic dust being responsible for the supposedly 'superior' sound of their ensembles.

And kit that oft goes with that ideology, tends to look like something that only a mad inventor could love - not always it must be said - but often enough for the cap to fit I think on occasion.

Certainly I look back on a couple of my separates systems over the years and think that of them re looks and overall aesthetic balance in a room in hindsight, which I find slightly embarrassing to be honest. One tries to learn from ones mistakes in life!... :)

JB

Jonboi,

However, whereas once upon a time being an audiophile meant someone who is interested in the finer points of audio, it is arguably fair to say that in 2013 the term has become something rather derogatory, as audiophiles are generally laughed at and derided by both professionals and the general public alike for their oft excessive obsessions and belief in fairies and magic dust being responsible for the supposedly 'superior' sound of their ensembles.
I keep reading this -- that audiophiles are laughed at and derided by the public -- but I have yet to encounter any laughter or derision anywhere, save on audio forums by people who once were card-carying members themselves, but are now audio atheists.

Joe

I recently noticed the word 'audiophile' in so many Amazon and similar reviews, was it always there? As in 'I'm not an audiophile but this [insert cheap device here] sounds fantastic!' (usually correct).

Jonboi,

I keep reading this -- that audiophiles are laughed at and derided by the public -- but I have yet to encounter any laughter or derision anywhere, save on audio forums by people who once were card-carying members themselves, but are now audio atheists.

Joe

Interesting Joe - sounds just like religious cults then...

Back in the 70's and 80's the Jesus movement resulted in a lot of young men moving away from a life of 'sin' to be at one with the 'Lord'.

Later, through disillusionment, many matured, grew up, moved away, and got on with their lives.

On a trip overseas last year, I caught up with a number of friends who I grew up with in my teens and twenties; most of whom had been caught up in religion in some shape or form.

All of them have moved on for various reasons - but most still retain some sort of spiritual outlook to life - but do nonetheless laugh at the excesses of religion - some, obviously hurt by it, go further and point out how dangerous the extremes of religion can be to peoples lives, leaving a lot severely damaged emotionally.

I see a lot of parallels between faith based religious believers, and audiophiles caught up in foo and pseudo science - and usually, but sadly not always, science, logic and reason wins out in the end.

Of course, neither religious nor audiophile extremists countenance themselves being laughing stocks, because they take themselves so seriously, but many outside of the 'inner circle' do laugh at their eccentricities and faith based belief systems.

If you ask outside of religious or audiophile circles, particularly amongst the educated, professional public, or industry professionals in the case of audio, you'll likely find somewhere between harmless humour, to outright derision to be the case in terms of the most commonly held viewpoints - certainly it's been the case amongst my professional and classical musician friends, and two recording engineers, also friends.

JB

Jonboi, you've now said the same thing about 1,000 times. For your next 1,000 posts, could you please find something different to say?

I recently noticed the word 'audiophile' in so many Amazon and similar reviews, was it always there? As in 'I'm not an audiophile but this [insert cheap device here] sounds fantastic!' (usually correct).

Well, it's quite possible to be a musician, or to just love music, or even to appreciate really good sound, without being an 'audiophile'.

I'd argue that the term audiophile once had a quasi scientific take to it in the 1950s - but in the 21st century it's often spoken as a derogatory term, such is the damage the HiFi industry has done to itself as regards having very little credibility in the professional and greater communities eyes.

Certainly if you want to appear sane and normal, let alone hip or 'cool' one doesn't describe oneself as being an 'audiophile' - the term more usually means or is taken to refer to an obsessive eccentric, in colloquial, popular jargon.

I appreciate that many won't want to hear this, but hey, I'm just the messenger - if you ask some audio professionals, or young music lovers, it's certainly the message that I get to hear in my part of the world.

JB

Jonboi,

Over here audiophiles are worshipped by bikini-clad supermodels.

Joe

Jonboi,

Over here audiophiles are worshipped by bikini-clad supermodels.

Joe

LOL.... reminds me of when I used to buy motorcycle mags in my youth, and there'd always be some scantily clad female draped over the likes of a Norton Commando, dressed in leather boots, cap, jacket and G-String.

All you needed was a leather riding crop...LOL

JB

No offence taken, Jonboi. You have a valid point.

In general, though, I find pics of overboard 'mad scientist' systems to be much more interesting to look at than your average run-of-the-mill stuff.

IME people who are audiophiles or in the industry (audio or music or recording) are more likely to use the term "audiophile" in a derogatory manner rather than the general public.

Jonboi,

If you ask outside of religious or audiophile circles, particularly amongst the educated, professional public, or industry professionals in the case of audio, you'll likely find somewhere between harmless humour, to outright derision to be the case in terms of the most commonly held viewpoints - certainly it's been the case amongst my professional and classical musician friends, and two recording engineers, also friends.
When I hang out with clever people, some of which are like the great Dr. Sheldon Cooper, we almost never talk about audiophiles, derisively or not. We usually discuss more interesting things such as music, gorillas, Star Trek and boobs.

Joe

Jonboi, you've now said the same thing about 1,000 times. For your next 1,000 posts, could you please find something different to say?

It is however worth saying, and in this instance, very well said.

Ironically though, no measure of accuracy and erudition will get it through to where its needed most. :(

Jonboi,

Certainly if you want to appear sane and normal, let alone hip or 'cool' one doesn't describe oneself as being an 'audiophile' - the term more usually means or is taken to refer to an obsessive eccentric, in colloquial, popular jargon.

I appreciate that many won't want to hear this, but hey, I'm just the messenger - if you ask some audio professionals, or young music lovers, it's certainly the message that I get to hear in my part of the world.
Well, I'm reappropriating the term -- I'm an audiophile, dammit! And I'm out of the closet with speakers as big as a, ummm, closet.

I'm an audiophile, hear me roar, got 15-inch ****-off woofers yet I want more.

Joe

When I owned my separates kit + Mana Tables, the general comment from male and female friends interested in music, but not HiFi, was that it sounded great, but could not understand why it needed to be so expensive, and ultimately in their eyes poor value, and that it looked ugly. Now, them there's not my words, but the words of friends who heard and saw the system at that time. And admittedly, it was a bit of a mad inventors lair look - but hey, I was hooked on the sound and didn't really care - at the time.

I'd suggest, that many wives, partners, girlfriends and boyfriends who like music and movies, but aren't into hiFi as a hobby, would find many (but not necessarily all) audiophile setups not particularly pleasing aesthetically.

Certainly I get the impression that some setups are owned by folks for whom the sound is everything, and don't have partners to consider re any necessary aesthetic compromises to please significant others - and I've been there at one time. Of course I could be quite wrong - just something that strikes me from time to time with some audiophile setups that I see pics of - here and elsewhere.
I built my system for listen to music like in a concert hall. I want to hear music feel the emotions I have in the concert halls at my place. My system is not here for entertaining myself with other people nor it is here to help me socialize with other people. I do not go to concerts and socialize during the performance with all the people around me. Therefore I don't care how my system and listening room looks like neither if anybody else like it. If my family needs a living room it will have one for me as they like it.
As far as I know there were about 2-3 people who really couldn't understand why I spent so much money in hifi. Most of my guest enjoyed the performance and over 90% of them came back at least once. Actually many had no objections about the money spent.

My family doesn't need this listening room with this hifi, they think the chairs are not nice and they don't feel comfortable in the room. No problem they have their living room with what they want.

I think it is everyone choice to consider listening to music or their hobby Hifi so important to make compromise with their wives: she has this and that while I have my hifi as I like / want it.

advertisement

Back