advertisement

Amy Winehouse,RIP

I wanted to be like Nexus from blade runner........ The Light That Burns Twice As Bright, Burns Half As Long

[YOUTUBE]YOphFl88U-g[/YOUTUBE]

I think her tribute album should be called 'eloquently wasted'

Everything except crystal meths! from 88 to 2005 and some still doing so but on a much lesser scale.

Only tried shooting crystal meth once, wow! Terrifying! All the rest. smoke, LSD, psylicibyn (can't spell it, sorry), opium, heroin, coke, alcohol, "poppers", angel dust, even Hawaian woodrose would you believe! But it was an earlier era, we were all what used to be called "freaks" or "hippies." The conclusion I've come to, after several decades of not using any drugs, is that heroin was/is the queen of drugs, and that coke is a stupid drug that just makes people talk too much and feel like they are a genius for about half an hour at a time, and then feel like a dried out turd at dawn.
Probably all a great waste of time, but it was the zeitgeist and you can't undo what you did.
But to get back to AW, maybe if she had not been famous and successful she could have pulled out of it. What helped me to get out of it, apart from my own maturing probably, was to have the great good fortune to meet people who took no drugs but where "nevertheless" interesting, intelligent and stimulating. This broke my stupid post-adolescent idea that anyone who did not take drugs was by definition dull and depressing.

Phew! Well, this is cheaper than going to a psychoanalyst!

Liquid Acid, MDNA and coke mixed into bottled water was my tipple :) Have never tried CM and its just too dirty IMHO. Oh, and never liked poppers it just gave me a bad head.

I don't think fame killed her, there was always a great saddened dark feeling in her words, real bitter sweet.

I met Amy Winehouse on a flight to St Lucia in March 2009 ...

... It's a great shame that her talent has been wasted, but it has been coming for a long time.
John

Thanks John, it was great to read about your encounter and to see the pix.

Your son looks like he enjoys a good headphone experience.

Jack

<moderating>

I've pulled some thread-craps, aggression and other nonsense out. Please keep things polite and on topic.

Sorry. She was completely over-hyped and a terrible role model. She should have been ignored years ago instead of being built up as some kind of heroine (no pun intended) by the press. She chose to live her life in a way that was only ever going to end like it did.
All this 27 nonsense. To mention her name alongside the likes of Janice Joplin and Jim Morrison is an insult.
Oh, and for the record. Amy Winehouse did not write Valerie. It was a cover of a Zutons song!
Amy wrote her first album, Frank, and it is a great album, easily as good as Back to Black. I doubt anyone is unaware that Valerie is a Zutons track, the comment from vuk, I believe simply refers to that version, but thanks for the reminder eh.

I followed her as an artist from very early on. The girl undoubtedly had soul and she touched the soul of many with her voice and her honesty. She wasn't over-hyped remotely, she had a great talent that slipped away from her with her self-abuse. It just surprises me how many people bought into the tabloid / Now magazine image of her, as if she was promoting herself somehow. It makes me wonder how much of that shite such folks read and believe.

As a father of daughters, I feel for her family and of course part of that is imagining one of my girls getting dragged down the way she was, by her own anxieties and the using scum around her.

R.I.P. Amy.

There are a number of very good musicians who considered Amy Whitehouse to be extremely tallented, not least Paul Weller which is where I first saw her. Sadly with the drugs and alcohol came the poor performances that tarnished her and gave the haters the ammunition they needed to target her. To be honest I don't care if a person as young as that sold a billion records or none, was a great singer or had a voice that stripped paint at 20 yards, was tallented or tallentless. Every drug related death is a waste be it in a North London suburb or a poppy field in Afganistan. My condolences to her family, the only people that knew "the real Amy".

Tony Bennett knows more about singers than some of the idiots on here. He recently recorded with her and said, "Of all the contemporary artists I know, she has the most natural jazz voice," he told The Guardian recently. "But I'm worried about her and I'm praying for her."

She was a wonderfully jazzy soul singer and a very talented song writer. We have not produced many of her calibre in the last 10-20 years.

I guess talent is handed out in an arbitary way sometimes and the people who are given it don't always seem to be able to handle the expectation that goes with it.

To paraphrase Shakespeare (or whoever wrote the plays) the quality of death is not strained.

To lose a parent is bad, to lose a child is worse whatever the circumstance.

Barney Hoskyns has been on Sky News talking about Amy Winehouse.

He did an excellent analysis of Amy's singing, songwriting and lifestyle. She is one of the best female vocalists to ever come out of England.

He also pointed out that she knew about Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous. These 12-Step Fellowships could have helped her, but she decided to ignore them.

Denial that you have a problem, or thinking you can handle things on your own, are two of the main symptoms of addiction.

Nonetheless, I am starting to think that Amy just wanted to die.

Barney used to be a staff writer at NME in the Seventies, was the American editor of Mojo, and has written for a lot of newspapers and magazines.

He has also published quite a few great books on music, including one on Tom Waits and another called Hotel California.

The latter was turned into an excellent BBC television documentary.

Jack

Tony Bennett knows more about singers than some of the idiots on here. He recently recorded with her and said, "Of all the contemporary artists I know, she has the most natural jazz voice," he told The Guardian recently. "But I'm worried about her and I'm praying for her."

Praise indeed, from the singers singer.

Only tried shooting crystal meth once, wow! Terrifying! All the rest. smoke, LSD, psylicibyn (can't spell it, sorry), opium, heroin, coke, alcohol, "poppers", angel dust, even Hawaian woodrose would you believe! But it was an earlier era, we were all what used to be called "freaks" or "hippies." The conclusion I've come to, after several decades of not using any drugs, is that heroin was/is the queen of drugs, and that coke is a stupid drug that just makes people talk too much and feel like they are a genius for about half an hour at a time, and then feel like a dried out turd at dawn.
Probably all a great waste of time, but it was the zeitgeist and you can't undo what you did.
But to get back to AW, maybe if she had not been famous and successful she could have pulled out of it. What helped me to get out of it, apart from my own maturing probably, was to have the great good fortune to meet people who took no drugs but where "nevertheless" interesting, intelligent and stimulating. This broke my stupid post-adolescent idea that anyone who did not take drugs was by definition dull and depressing.

Phew! Well, this is cheaper than going to a psychoanalyst!

Great post - some of the most boring people I have met are those who took coke a lot or smoked dope all the time. I am an artist and know many artists and most don't take drugs because what they do is fulfilling and exciting enough already - taking drugs doesn't make for better art making in my experience.

mat

that was such a good post PaulMB that I would have retweeted it, if it were only possible.

I knew a crowd in the mid 90s who took a lot of amphetamines, cocaine and hash. They thought they were witty and interesting from Dawn till near Dawn, but were rarely intelligible before about ten (time and pints) in the evening.

advertisement

Back