advertisement

Amps, current, ohms and whatnot.

Thanks all for advice and recommendations given. In the end I went for a set of used Nord One Ups and found a Weiss Dac202 on ebay to use as a dac preamp (replacing my Chord Mojo in the process). End result sounds quite special.

The one thing I thought was slightly missing moving from my Spendors to the Hawks was the very top end - the airiness seemed to have gone compared to my D7s. I thought maybe it was a trait of the speakers, I had read that Obelisks had a more airy feel to them. However, the dac202 has brought that airiness back plus everything has gone up a notch in terms of detail and texture.

Currently running mac laptop running roon/spotify->supra usb->Singxer F1->spdif->dac202->atlas->hawks. Planning to get a firewire 400/800 cable to see if firewire is any better/worse than going via the F1.

Need to setup the mojo/roksan/spendors in the other room to see if the airiness of the mojo returns with the spendors and whether its a synergy thing or just I didn't realise it was missing before.

I have a DAC202 connected via Firewire. You will get an improvement if you isolate the power supply of the Mac from the Weiss. You can do this by using two cables a 6/4 and a 9/4 Firewire cable. Going via the 4 pins means that the power supplies are disconnected as its data only. My cables are from Lindy. Oh and I also have the Ob2 as I don't have the space for anything larger.

............ and the sound is excellent.

Cheers,

DV

I have a DAC202 connected via Firewire. You will get an improvement if you isolate the power supply of the Mac from the Weiss. You can do this by using two cables a 6/4 and a 9/4 Firewire cable. Going via the 4 pins means that the power supplies are disconnected as its data only. My cables are from Lindy. Oh and I also have the Ob2 as I don't have the space for anything larger.

............ and the sound is excellent.

Cheers,

DV

Hi DV,

My laptop has firewire 800 port and the weiss is 400. Would the following combo work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/a3o/MCL-Firewire-Pin-Male-Female-Adapter/B003KP4X0U/ref=

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adap...in-male-to-6-pin-male-transparent-p1734/s1876

Thanks, Tom

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I use that Lindy 6/4 cable but I wouldn't trust that adaptor from Amazon.

I use another cable from Lindy a 9 pin bilingual to 4 pin IEEE 1394b/a Firewire. The one I have (cheap) no longer appears on the Lindy website but if you search you'll find a more expensive version. Both of mine are 0.3m.

Cheers,

DV

I presume one of the 4pins needs to be female and the other male and I can't see any on the lindy site with a female 4 pin.

I called lindy and they don't have a cable with 4pin female. I presume that's what you have to make this work?

advertisement

Back