advertisement

Amp matching Shahinian Arcs

Regarding placement away from walls and bass boom, IME that's room-dependent.

I originally ran the arcs in a much smaller room than I do now and the bass could boom at times when too close to the rear wall. In my current larger room the bass seems very much tighter when just as close to the rear wall.

Disclaimer - that's my subjective experience, I don't have the means to measure bass response in-room.

Hi,

Arcs can, as has been stated by Shahinian, driven by quite a modest amp.

I know for example the Linn Majik DSi into Arcs displaced a Linn/Naim Triamped Isobarik system, even I was shocked at just how good the Arcs were in that system.

I have used Arcs with Naim 250, Quad II Classic Monos, Linn 2250D, Avondale 130 monos and even the first Linn Majik i so they can be used with all types of amps.

Speaker cable, Kimber is bright, Mogani is more neutral and did sound better with the Arcs to my ears, when using Naim use their cable or Linn K20.

I have also heard Arcs driven by top Dynavector amps systems and would agree that is pretty special.

You basically look for second hand, £1000 will buy you the Linn Majik DSi I suggested, however it is getting on in age and I doubt Linn could fix it.

My suggestion is buy, within your budget, an amp system that can be sorted now and in the future in case it needed serviced or fixed, Naim, Quad, Avondale spring to mind, however there will be others.

You don't have to stick with an integrated, however if you do then you limit your choice given my thoughts in the sentence above.

Cheers

John

I have owned Arcs for many a year now and tried them with all the usual contenders:

Naim 82/250. - Grooves nicely.

52/135 - Better still with more detail, slam and excellent bass

Naim 52 / Dynavector HX1.2 - More rounded with more air but less taught in the bass

Mana Stealth amp - As above but not as transparent

Avondale Grad 1 / Naim 135's - Silky smooth tonality but with less slam than the 52 combo

Avondale Grad 1 / Various Avondale Amps including M130's. - Sounds sweeter with silky smooth tonality but still with bass taughtness weight and slam when needed.

My fave of all is the current set up of Avondale Grad 1 (TPX1) / M130's NCC200 (soon to be NC220's)

Arcs are superb long term buys and satisfy musicially in spades ! Yet after years of ownership they still surprise me how good they can sound.

Could one find a pre-loved ROTEL RB-1090 for GBP 1,000 in your neck of the woods?

It could be a very good match for the ARCs, IMHO…

100rotel.1.jpg

Arc mark 1 here, with dynavector hx1.2/2. Tried kimber 8tc, naim naca5, but both outclassed by witch hat phantom.I never really liked the naim 250 with the Arcs, the dynavector has much more command of the speakers top to bottom.
I had the passive speaker cones replaced when they began to come adrift. The replacements were mark 2- slightly bigger,and involved a bit of woodwork- thanks Nic!

Anyone tried Arks against Epos ES14? I imagine they are similar.
I found Epos ES14 a bass heavy speaker and not particularly fast sounding. This was many moons ago when i purchased Linn kan mk1 shortly after that although lacked the bass the Kans were far superior in every other area. Arcs are in a different league with a soundstage that the Epos could not match, although i have not compared them back-to-back i enjoyed the Epos the short time i had them, but I've had Arcs now for over a decade so that speaks volumes in itself

I remember being enjoying Arcs on the end of a Nait 1! Also a Chrome Bumper set up sounded great. 140 power amp from memory.
I found even with the Nait 1 and a Chord Dac, they were capable of anti social volumes with a small turn of the volume. The room was 4mx4.5m. The solid floor helped.
In a previous home with a suspended floor and smaller footprint they were totally different - the arcs sounded boomy and muffled, all kinds of wrong.
Hearing them at Grahams Hifi a few hours before getting them home made my jaw drop. They had a bigger room, and again, solid floor and well treated.
Enjoy the arcs!

I second the naim suggestions although they are out of budget i think. I had them with 52/250 and they were ace. I sold them to my friend who has them with 82/180 and that is a fantastic combo (in his well damped and no too large room) which really seems to gel.

Well, firstly, my missus isn't overly happy with them. After Audionote KS in a fancy finish that sit back near the corners to these little squat things that need pulling out a bit. I thought they were going to get poo pood straight away. Listening has mostly been done with her out. Used my Prima luna for a couple of days then been using a friend's Supernait/ hi cap. Very different. I've never really owned any Naim so struggling to adapt to it if I'm honest. Sounds loud even when it's quiet and flat. Drop the Primaluna in and it comes alive but bass is bloomy. Not sure my missus will allow them to stay so it maybe a bit of a fruitless exercise.

I actually think the Shahinians and supernait are quite a bit more revealing of my source. Highlighting that my record player/cart/ phono stage isn't the smoothest combo. The valve amp/ ANs flatter most sources. Swapped to CD (Chevron transport and DAC) and it's totally different.

advertisement

Back