advertisement

Amp matching Shahinian Arcs

How are you getting on with the Arcs? Interesting to hear about your experience with vinyl. I’ve used them exclusively with digital. DAC as pre amplifier so very clean.

I've had to shuffle stuff around to get them in a position that works but my wife isn't overly happy with the position or how they look. A friend has lent me a good SS amp to evaluate them...and I have to say, I think they're superb. Different than anything I've ever owned and great fun. Just not sure they'll be allowed to stay and I've not discussed it properly yet.
She says they look like a flip lid bin.

They are amazing speakers… but let’s be honest. Your wife is 100% correct.

Maybe she will warm to them, if she hears them playing her favourite music?

Just out of interest, what ss amp is your loaner? How much power on tap?

My little Sonabs look like pedal bins but the sound makes up for it:
iu

The Arcs do look a bit like swing bins :)

Because they're not very tall and radiate sound upwards, you can hide them behind furniture to some degree and still get decent sound out of them. Then they're pretty easy to move to the correct location when you want a serious listen. That might make them more domestically acceptable.

I've got a nice Elicit R here as well now. Certainly a less dark sound than the naim with masses of detail.
In fact, compared to my valve/ AN set up, it's massively more revealing. Some recordings sound flat, others really superb. The valve set up makes pretty much everything sound fine.
Oh..and they love to be played loud!... And they lap it up.

So, a few weeks in, still using the rega Elicit R to drive them. Talk to me about positioning, particularly toe in and width apart. :)

advertisement

Back