advertisement

Amp for Kans

Other more modern amps could also work with Kans. There is no magic.
There are SO many amps that work with the Kans, besides amps designed in the 1970s and 1980s! whenever Kans are under discussion, only UK vintage amps seem to be talked about. Kans are a sophisticated speaker design, well up to modern monitor standards. There are so many great amps out there. (That said, I'm listening to my Kans driven by Quad IIs as I write!).

I have put up some pictures of the conversion to active. I did the work 6 years ago, so it's not exactly fresh in the mind, but it wasn't difficult. Re-using the crossover board as described, saves you from having to source new loudspeaker terminals.

Take the grilles off:

Take out the mid/bass unit and unscrew the loudspeaker terminals:

Remove the crossover:

Remove the components from the crossover board:

You can refit the bare crossover board, because then you can still use the loudspeaker terminals, but you have to resite the lousdspeaker wires because you have removed the components:

Replace the crossover board and the mid/bass unit and refit the grilles.

Just remember to revert + - on the tweeters otherwise they will out of phase

Not if you use MkII's, because they have a gasket on the bass/mid, rather than sealant, but the grilles are still tricky to get off.
Do you think changing Kan 1 tweeters would be reasonably straight forward, apart from getting the grills off of course?

I haven't tried it, but the construction methods used makes it difficult without causing damage, but there's plenty of info on the web on how to do it.

I haven't tried it, but the construction methods used makes it difficult without causing damage, but there's plenty of info on the web on how to do it.
Do you think that's the same for Kan IIs since they are mounted on a raised area?

When I did the conversion on the MkII's, I decided in advance that I would replace the cloth, so it meant that I didn't have to be so careful when I prised the grilles off. It's one of the idiosyncrasies of early Linn speakers, everything glued up with silicone adhesive. The bass units came out easily, because they were on a gasket. I had no need to take the treble units out, but I assume that they were on a gasket too. I haven't glued the new grilles in , because they are quite a tight fit in the recess. As I said, it was a few years ago, so I don't remember all the details, but I did take some pictures as I carried out the work.

I have very fond memories of Kans with a NAC72 and NAP180, so much so that having sold mine many years ago i have just taken delivery of a very nicely preserved pair of mk1 Kans in black ash and am now pondering slipping these into my main system

not sure where that leaves my current ATC actives which are compromised due to space and a young family......

Do you think changing Kan 1 tweeters would be reasonably straight forward, apart from getting the grills off of course?

If your Kans have the original Scanspeaks and they are working, I would not change them as there is no modern match available. The Linn D2008 is a modified unit and the coating is much heavier in the dome than in the new stock D2008. Hiquphon OW1 is a better match (and probably the better tweeter) but even it isn't as good in Kan context as the original. Have tried those all and IMO the Kan coherence is lost with the new tweeters. The new tweeters generally shift the sound balance to a more lightweight and bright direction in expense of the great Kan midrange and certain weight.

If your Kans have the original Scanspeaks and they are working, I would not change them as there is no modern match available. The Linn D2008 is a modified unit and the coating is much heavier in the dome than in the new stock D2008. Hiquphon OW1 is a better match (and probably the better tweeter) but even it isn't as good in Kan context as the original. Have tried those all and IMO the Kan coherence is lost with the new tweeters. The new tweeters generally shift the sound balance to a more lightweight and bright direction in expense of the great Kan midrange and certain weight.
OK, thanks. I will heed your advise.

advertisement

Back