advertisement

Amp for Kans

Love this thread...being a Kan junky. It’s taken me years of numerous Naim combos nait 2s, nait 1s, 250/hicap/72, 32.5/110/hicap . Cds2, Cdx etc etc only to realise that the answer all along was a Farlowe era Exposure integrated amp. Yes solid walls and in my case Sound Organisation wall mounted brackets with mk1 Kans. Exposure amp and exposure CD player pure bliss. Music is alive and Kans doing what they do best.
The best I heard them was an '86 pair with a super xv, so this doesn't surprise me.

My Kan II were much better with my Onix oa21 than the far more expensive Naim 102 / 180 combo.

Onix or a bit left field Densen DM10.
The old Densen has plenty of grunt and adds a bit of warmth where the Kans miss it.

Love this thread...being a Kan junky. It’s taken me years of numerous Naim combos nait 2s, nait 1s, 250/hicap/72, 32.5/110/hicap . Cds2, Cdx etc etc only to realise that the answer all along was a Farlowe era Exposure integrated amp. Yes solid walls and in my case Sound Organisation wall mounted brackets with mk1 Kans. Exposure amp and exposure CD player pure bliss. Music is alive and Kans doing what they do best.
Nice pairing. I ran XV and Kan IIs with pre-Cirkus LP12 for 15+ years. Did you ever hear any of the JF unregulated pre/power combos? Wouldn't mind trying the 17/18 one day but they're very rare.

Nice pairing. I ran XV and Kan IIs with pre-Cirkus LP12 for 15+ years. Did you ever hear any of the JF unregulated pre/power combos? Wouldn't mind trying the 17/18 one day but they're very rare.
Yes they don’t come up very often. Would like to try them though.

When I bought my Nait 2 I tried a few amps including an Exposure X I think it was. With hindsight I wish I'd bought the Exposure but the Naim propaganda weighed heavy at that time. It took me twenty years to realize a more rounded amplifier was a better idea.

Not sure why you'de want to bin it if it sounds great Per?
And with the exemption of the ribbon selector on the "S" version they are easily serviceable by anyone with cheap standard parts.
A OA21 (non-"S") will live forever.

The most important thing with Kans is to go active, active with Naim Naxo or Snaxo and 2x Nap 110 easily outperform passive Nap 135’s.

When driven active the Kans go deeper,wider faster and cleaner.The speakers “disappears “ and the sound is so amazingly musical.

The transformation when going active with Kans are much bigger than with Naim Sbl’s
Do you know anyone who can do an active conversion?

The integrated Farlowe amps were simply great.
Onix OA21s fine too, but now a bad name due to their massive scam, I'd never give room to those amps again, my old knackered OA21 will soon hit the bin.
Chances are you’re old onix amp is nothing to do with the scam artist! Don’t throw it

Take the grilles off:

Take out the mid/bass unit and unscrew the loudspeaker terminals:

Remove the crossover:

Remove the components from the crossover board:

You can refit the bare crossover board, because then you can still use the loudspeaker terminals, but you have to resite the lousdspeaker wires because you have removed the components:

Replace the crossover board and the mid/bass unit and refit the grilles.

advertisement

Back