advertisement

America's new folk sounds

I posted this over at the "What are listening to" thread, it's more relevant here.

Ryan Adams -- Cold Roses. I haven't been a big a fan of Adams's other work. Not bad, but nothing that got me too excited. This album is different, and I guess people who know are saying it's major step forward for him. It's a duoble disc set and the first CD is good but not great. The second disc, however, is like a different ablum: less mopey, more rocking -- jamming, even? -- and infused with an altogether greater dynamism. Very good.
dn'l

Another good 'un is Red Hash by Gary Higgins, from 1973.

It was recommended by the Amazon ratings driven thingummy, and the user review described it as very much an ancestor of New Weird Folk.

It's chunky, homemade and gnarly, with the acoustic guitars joined by futuristic moog soloing!

Something rather endearing about that album is the heroic crapness of the lyrics. They're vaguely about something, though often apparentlu a differnt thing from verse to verse, but the priority is getting the end of a line to rhyme with the previous one. No ideas and not much of a voice, but he's really trying, and magic can happens in such a context.

Quite punk rock, really, to write lyrics when you've nothing to write about.

Another cool thing is that when he doesn't have a lot of musical ideas, he just uses a few bars worth of material and plays it over and over, making things cool and cyclical. A far wiser philosophy than just padding out the good bits.

Some UK dates for y'all...

JACK ROSE / CHRIS CORSANO UK TOUR
* Feb. 9: London, Luminaire
* Feb. 11: Nottingham, Bunkers Hill
* Feb. 12: Cambridge, The Portland Arms
* Feb. 13: tba
* Feb. 14: Cardiff, The Buffalo Bar
* Feb. 15: Bristol, The Cube Cinema
* Feb. 16: Coventry, Tin Angel
* Feb. 17: Manchester, tba
* Feb. 18: Newcastle, Modern Tower
* Feb. 19: tba
* Feb. 20: Glasgow, Volcanic Tongue in-store with Keenan at 1pm; Edinburgh, Henry's Cellar Bar 7.30pm
* Feb. 21: Stockton, The Georgian Theatre
* Feb. 22: Sheffield, The Cricketers Arms

...and check this one out in Nottingham...

SUNBURNED HAND OF THE MAN
HUSH ARBORS
VIBRACATHEDRAL ORCHESTRA
Thursday 23rd February
The Maze / Forest Tavern, Nottingham
£5 adv / £6 door

I Am The Resurrection: A Tribute to John Fahey

For a tribute album, this looks interesting:

1. Death of the Clayton Peacock - Fruit Bats
2. Sunflower River Blues - Pelt
3. Variation on "Commemorative Transfiguration & Communion at Magruder Par - Sufjan Stevens
4. Sligo River - Devendra Banhart
5. Dance of Death - Calexico
6. Singing Bridge of Memphis, Brooklyn Bridge Version: The Coelcanth - Lee Ranaldo,
7. Bean Vine Blues #2 - M. Ward
8. Portland Cement Factory at Monolith, CA - Cul de Sac
9. Dance of the Inhabitants of the Palace of King Phillip XIV of Spain - Granddaddy
10. Joe Kirby Blues
11. Medley: John Hurt Shiva Shankarah
12. When the Catfish Is in Bloom - Peter Case
13. My Grandfather's Clock - Howe Gelb

http://www.vanguardrecords.com/Fahey/home.html

PS- Really enjoying "Imaginational Anthem" BTW.

The 13th Feb date is in Oxford in the upstairs room a pub called the Port Mahon which must only hold 100 people tops. Hope to be there but its my wife's birthday and might not be her idea of a treat! Negotiation to follow. I think a nice lunch out might hit the spot...

Kevin

Well, I had a fantastic night last night. Sunburned Hand of the Man is a live experience not to be missed I tell ya. So do yourself a huge favour:

24 Sheffield - The Matilda Social Space
25 Leeds - Brudenell Social Club
26 Newcastle - TBA with Jazzfinger & The Unit AMA
27 Edinburgh - Henry's Cellar Bar
28 Manchester - Klondyke Bowls Club

March
1 Bristol - Cubecinema
2 Bristol - Cubecinema, Sunburned Peekaboo with the Wicked It, the Ozone Layer and much more
4 London - Corsica Studios with Komische Extraordinary Events DJs
5 Bristol - TBA
6 Cambridge - Man on the Moon, with Zaimph and Heather Lee Murray

Sheffield tonight Alex, get there!

people should have a listen out for james blackshaw if they want to hear someone closer to home doing this kind of thing.

Just a quick heads up that Devendra Banhart’s Cripple Crow is finally available on vinyl. It’s a nice gatefold double LP with heavy card inners and is apparently limited to 500 copies, so if you want one probably best not to wait around. I got mine from Piccadilly Records.

Tony.

Espers have a new one out, Espers II. I look forward to it arriving at Taylor Towers.

Something of an antecedent and a good listen is On the Shore by Trees, I think from 1972.

Less stoned and harder edged than something like Pentangle (who are jolly good, of course), it's electric folk/folk rock and the band and album name tells you everything else you need to know. It has those stark, striking melody lines from two female vocalists.

Have ordered a heap of acid folk via Amazon's autorecommender. Comus, Forest, Mellow Candle, Circulus, Moyshe Mcstiff and Tartan Lancers of the Sacred Heart. I shall be drowned in swirling whimsy!

Kit Taylor said:
Espers have a new one out, Espers II. I look forward to it arriving at Taylor Towers.

Something of an antecedent and a good listen is On the Shore by Trees, I think from 1972.

Less stoned and harder edged than something like Pentangle (who are jolly good, of course), it's electric folk/folk rock and the band and album name tells you everything else you need to know. It has those stark, striking melody lines from two female vocalists.

Have ordered a heap of acid folk via Amazon's autorecommender. Comus, Forest, Mellow Candle, Circulus, Moyshe Mcstiff and Tartan Lancers of the Sacred Heart. I shall be drowned in swirling whimsy!
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the C.O.B. - I've hovered over it many a time on Amazon.

The Comus will be a wild ride compared to friendly old Trees and Forest (and Circulus for that matter - a new album is due shortly BTW) - for those who aren't familiar, Comus were perhaps the loudest and scariest all-acoustic band ever, featuring a vocalist who makes Roger Chapman seem as smooth as Barry Manilow in comparison. The first album is tremendous though.

Eerily I was looking at older parts of this thread earlier this morning, with reference to Josephine Foster who I'd stumbled across...

It's another one for the list andy m. btw I'll be checking out the afore mentioned James Blackshaw in a couple of weeks as he's playing with Charalambides in Nottingham on 8th July.

Here are the full tour dates:

6 Bristol Cube Microplex
8 London Luminaire
9 Cambridge CB2
10 Nottingham Bunkers Hill
11 Galway TBA
12 Ballymahon The Bog Lane Theater
13 Dublin Boom Boom Room
14 Leeds Cardigan Arms
15 Manchester Klondyke Club
16 Newcastle Morden Tower
19 Glasgow Nice n' Sleazy

cambridge is the nearest to me, and its a 90 minute drive. shame.

another one i was enjoying today for the first time - mv & ee with the bummer road - 2 x lp. some of the best stuff i have heard from matt valentine yet, mixing in proper songs with the weird stuff.

andy m said:
c
another one i was enjoying today for the first time - mv & ee with the bummer road - 2 x lp. some of the best stuff i have heard from matt valentine yet, mixing in proper songs with the weird stuff.

I saw them in Leeds a while back Vibracathedral Orchestra and Taurpis Tula – great night. Just bought Moon Jook which is quite nice. Tempted by this new one too tbh.

nice!

i think moon jook was my favourite prior to this one (which i haven't listened to all the way through yet). i seem to have acquired a fair few mv lps somehow, i've got one that's a rather pretty looking picture disc and i don't think i've even listened to it! oops.

advertisement

Back