advertisement

America's Cup

Well, they don't call Ainslie the comeback king for nothing. Remember San Francisco and 2012 Olympics. Maybe he's stringing us along.

ever the optimist

Ainslie is probably the best match racer and has a top crew but I feel he is going to need a miracle to obtain some boatspeed from the design . I suppose strong winds might help as the boat seems better in more wind

Thanks for that. If it's 'merely' the foil profiles, then it's a quick job to do that, within the constraints of how many foils they are each allowed to have. But this will completely change all the control software, which takes time. They've already had glitches out on the course. That's without mentioning the possible buoyancy problems at the front.
This is going to be tough, really tough. 15th January is not that far away.....

Before that happened, the Kiwis had been practising pre-start manoeuvres with the Brits & were well-stuffed by Sir Ben.

My theory of pure unbridled hope is that Ben will knock all-comers off their foils pre-start, build a 1km lead on the first leg & just, but only just, hold that lead till the finish.

I fear my optimism is beyond the edge of reason...o_O... mainly in the form of one Jimmy Spithill, who I’d guess is the one other helmsman as aggressive as Sir Ben. Dean B & Peter Burling are both less aggressive at the starts but typically faster through the water : within a week from now we’ll know if Team Ineos came back from the dead & if there’s some truly exciting racing to watch.

My brother, who usually supports Sir Ben, would be happy with a Prada victory as it means the next AC will likely be off Porto Cervo (a little warmer than the Solent & a darned sight nearer than the USA or NZ!).

No doubt in my mind that if the boats were equal, it would be Spithill vs Ainslie in the final. Please don't let a poor boat decide this, but that's the AC all through.

Excellent commentary. Let’s hope they are right about the U.K. boat & even if ETNZ is indeed a click ahead of the challengers, the Prada Cup should bring improvements to catch up.

REALLY hoping for some exciting racing & anticipating much more aggressive pre-start tactics, especially from Ben & Jimmy.

Yup, looking like a tight series. Where's the best TV coverage?

yandy304697.jpg

Awesome! Two great starts, and some promising boatspeed. Difficult to see what they've done to the foils, but I hope they keep that going if it goes lighter. 16-17 knots is ideal for Rita.
We got ourselves a raceboat!

Arise, Sir Corgi !
:):D:):D:)
(a couple of days ago,a Kiwi reporter apparently stated that he saw "a greyhound (ETNZ), two whippets (Prada and American Magic) and a corgi (UK)" !!!)

Astonishing performance from Sir Ben and team.... but a LONG way to go. Exciting : we have a race !

That first race is cracking!!

sandbagging...hmm...!

Compulsive viewing - watching something that still looks surreal (to me at least), great filming, in-race information and graphics, great commentary. And great results too!

That was just brilliant. What a turn around.

Can't help feeling there are a few people at Mercedes F1 in Brackley going "Hmm , hmm, thought that might work".

Much better as it looked like they had no chance of a win before ! Sir Ben won both starts and followed up with good tactics and read the breeze well showing how good the team are as sailors .
Hopefully the boat will perform as well in lighter winds which was the major weakness before

advertisement

Back