advertisement

America's Cup

Nero

Re: Tired
Anyone else watching this nuttiness? Practice kicks off tomorrow. These boats are cruising at speeds which were undreamt of 20 years ago

Oooh yes. Ridiculous speeds and the racing very exciting to watch.

Love it. As a keen sailor, it’s light years away from my experience on the water! Absolutely phenomenal stuff. I used to know Sir Ben from home, go Team Ineos!

Oooh yes. Ridiculous speeds and the racing very exciting to watch.
The closing speeds are just phenomenal now. I was fortunate enough to watch the 1992 edition in San Diego up close, and that was already very impressive, especially the pre-start circling phase. These boats are several times faster, so can't imagine what that's like on the water.

LOL!! "Defiant returned to a nearly upright position of her own accord while the crew collected their wits [and their guts I imagine!!], followed by another conflab with their coaches and design team [I bet...love to be a fly on the sail for that discussion!!].
Really hi tech stuff.
A little different to my days in a Mirror and Wayfarer off Dell Quay...

The closing speeds are just phenomenal now. I was fortunate enough to watch the 1992 edition in San Diego up close, and that was already very impressive, especially the pre-start circling phase. These boats are several times faster, so can't imagine what that's like on the water.
They would be faster whatever the construction, we rarely have winds high enough to have exciting sailing here :). When I crewed it could take us 2 hours just to get from the dock to the race start without using the motor (still fun though).

Totally agree that the pre race jockeying for position and timing crossing the line is often more fun (and stress) than the race.

Totally agree that the pre race jockeying for position and timing crossing the line is often more fun (and stress) than the race.
Great fun for spectators or when you're on someone else's boat, a bit more nerve racking when you're responsible for limbs, fingers and gelcoat.

Is it still in Auckland? Really wanted an excuse to visit again in ‘21....

Nobody visiting NZ in 2021. Unless you crew those boats or make multi-million $ movies. Or possibly Australians in a few months.

Great fun for spectators

Not something you normally hear in the same breath as sailing! Normally it's like grass growing.

A little different to my days in a Mirror and Wayfarer off Dell Quay...

I could just imagine one of those machines negotiating the moorings at Itchenor, and coming to a grinding, but spectacular, halt at Copperas West

Saw the last one on Bermuda. Excellent time. Those boats sure do motor. They crash spectacularly on occasion, too. Ouch.

Just watched the day 1 races. Don’t want to spoil for others but just watch it. All on YouTube.

advertisement

Back