advertisement

Amazon Music HD cancelled after 3 month trial.

I’m still using tidal, tried quobuz for a couple of months but found it had loads of gaps in its catalog. I do like tidal but would rather a hi res stream like quobuz rather than mqa. Will likely change to Spotify if it ever sorts out hi res or if apple will allow streaming via non apple systems as I use Volumio.

I find Tidal and Quboz annoying compared to Spotify. Shame both sound better!

I have spare chromecast but sadly my DAC doesn’t have an optical input else this would be a great solution.
BTW where is the option on the Amazon App?

I'm currently on a 3 month free Amazon music trial too. Am currently listening to Taj Mahal greatest hits in Ultra HD (whatever that means! I guess 24/96?) and it is sounding sublime. I am streaming via a CHROMECAST audio and using it's optical output to my dac. On the Amazon app there is an option to connect to devices - including Chromecast.

I'm currently on a 3 month free Amazon music trial too. Am currently listening to Taj Mahal greatest hits in Ultra HD (whatever that means! I guess 24/96?) and it is sounding sublime. I am streaming via a CHROMECAST audio and using it's optical output to my dac. On the Amazon app there is an option to connect to devices - including Chromecast.

I'm afraid you're not listing in ultra HD as it's not supported over Chromecast. You're listing to a 256kb mp3 stream.

Bluesound with Amazon HD is anything but elegant.
I’m currently trialing Amazon HD with a Bluesound node 2i & as good as the sound can be the BluOS app is clunky & painful to say the least.
When will they develop a direct connection from the Amazon HD app to the bluesound like Tidal connect.
Tidal is much better to use via the Bluesound.

I’m currently trialing Amazon HD with a Bluesound node 2i & as good as the sound can be the BluOS app is clunky & painful to say the least.
When will they develop a direct connection from the Amazon HD app to the bluesound like Tidal connect.
I don't think Amazon have any interest whatsoever in developing the integration of their streaming service with third-party hardware - why would they?

They did ages ago. It's called Alexa cast. You need to setup the Blueos Alexa skill.

I don't think Amazon have any interest whatsoever in developing the integration of their streaming service with third-party hardware - why would they?
It would be nice if I could use the Amazon HD app to connect to the bluesound & stream hi res rather than airplay which limits the resolution & gets interrupted when your phone is busy.
Bit crap really as it’s a pain using the BluOS app for Amazon.
Bit of a deal breaker really.

Bit of a deal breaker really.
That was the conclusion I came to as well.
I'm really happy with Qobuz which has 1st class integration with the InnuOS Sense app.
If I'd stuck with Bluesound I would have gone with Tidal which is great as well via connect.

That was the conclusion I came to as well.
I'm really happy with Qobuz which has 1st class integration with the InnuOS Sense app.
If I'd stuck with Bluesound I would have gone with Tidal which is great as well via connect.
Yes Tidal works well but I found sq better & cheaper on Amazon plus no mqa.
The bluesound dac is quite thick & syrup sounding, heavy bass in the midrange & sounds better via the chord mojo but that doesn’t do mqa.

I have started my free trial recently. Just via playback on my iphone I feel the quality is noticeably better than Spotify, though the Spotify App is superior (or at least more familiar).

Are there any cost efficient ways of playing the Amazon HD stream via my main system?

For Spotify I use an RPI4 plus Volumio with its usb out to my Rega Isis DAC input. As best I can tell the RPI cannot be adapted for the Amazon service yet.

A clumsy solution would be to make a physical connection by linking the iphone to the Apple camera adaptor (got one somewhere) thence to a dragonfly black (will retrieve from eldest son) and then to a line input on my preamp using a 3.5mm headphone to phono cable (to buy).

Are there any more elegant solutions (apart from buying a new streamer like a bluesound)?
+1 for clumsy solution...I find it sounds rather splendid!

I fou

I found qobuz better on sonos app..its a bit crap on my laptop but it sounds so much better on my hifi..for what it is, sonos speaker is bloody awesome though..
With Roon my Sonos Roam speaker appears as an endpoint, so I can use Roon’s excellent remote app to get music or radio to it. The Sonos app isn’t my cup of tea. There are so many choices, most with free trials, it’s just a matter of playing around till you get a solution that fits, and avoiding being locked in.

I’m another in agreement that the Qobuz interface is poor, especially if you’re looking to explore new music but I still continue to use it for the quality streams.
If the long fabled Spotify hifi ever arrives…. I’d be tempted

In fairness to Quobuz, they have since (my original post) updated the app. It's a step forward. More work required but they are on the right track.

advertisement

Back