advertisement

Amazon Music HD cancelled after 3 month trial.

RoA

pfm Member
Unfortunately still no Chromecast support for HD. As a Prime member the monthly 8 quid would have been a bargain but the above makes this a deal breaker, a big one. I liked the interface, especially compared to Quobuz's which is, to put it bluntly, shite.

Back to Tidal and Quobuz ...

Unfortunately still no Chromecast support for HD. As a Prime member the monthly 8 quid would have been a bargain but the above makes this a deal breaker, a big one. I liked the interface, especially compared to Quobuz's which is, to put it bluntly, shite.

Back to Tidal and Quobuz ...
Yea..... I'm paying for Tidal because I just couldn't get along with the Quobuz interface. Shame really, as I would have preferred to support Quobuz.

Yea..... I'm paying for Tidal because I just couldn't get along with the Quobuz interface. Shame really, as I would have preferred to support Quobuz.
I find Qobuz on IOS easier to use than the PC version. IPAD seems to be in "exclusive" mode with auto-switching, and bit perfect, judging from MQA compatibility via Tidal.

I ended my Amazon trial because I didn't like the interface. I'm sticking with Spotify. Hopefully they'll go to CD quality at some point.

I ended my Amazon trial because I didn't like the interface. I'm sticking with Spotify. Hopefully they'll go to CD quality at some point.
I preferred Amazon to Spotify in every way except it failed to find artists repeatedly. Dealbreaker, so still with the latter

I use Spotify and Radio Paradise most days, switching between them is a bit of a shock as the sound quality jumps up for RP or down for Spotify, would also like a lossless stream from Spotify.
All streamed on a CA, of which I have just tracked down another NOS for under twenty notes.

I have started my free trial recently. Just via playback on my iphone I feel the quality is noticeably better than Spotify, though the Spotify App is superior (or at least more familiar).

Are there any cost efficient ways of playing the Amazon HD stream via my main system?

For Spotify I use an RPI4 plus Volumio with its usb out to my Rega Isis DAC input. As best I can tell the RPI cannot be adapted for the Amazon service yet.

A clumsy solution would be to make a physical connection by linking the iphone to the Apple camera adaptor (got one somewhere) thence to a dragonfly black (will retrieve from eldest son) and then to a line input on my preamp using a 3.5mm headphone to phono cable (to buy).

Are there any more elegant solutions (apart from buying a new streamer like a bluesound)?

I’m still using tidal, tried quobuz for a couple of months but found it had loads of gaps in its catalog. I do like tidal but would rather a hi res stream like quobuz rather than mqa. Will likely change to Spotify if it ever sorts out hi res or if apple will allow streaming via non apple systems as I use Volumio.

The Android BluOS app is very clunky with Amazon (Almost as clunky as this forum!).
However Amazon Music's Widows app is OK, so I just build play lists there & then use those in Android BluOS app.

Here's an interesting observation on Qobuz's library. Over the past year I've been remastering a lot of my old music and releasing it for download and streaming. Streaming distribution is handled by a company called RouteNote. RouteNote works with more streaming services than I knew exist, but they include Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Prime Music etc.

My music is all electronic but each album I've released is stylistically orthogonal to the others. So far, 3 albums and one single have been uploaded for streaming. All of these appear on Spotify, YouTube Music, Prime Music, etc. Interestingly, volume 2, which is the only "dance music" album, is missing from Qobuz.

So I think Qobuz has its own internal filtering of submitted music, probably not only limited to rejecting misfit house music. Yet they do have my no-good noise album! There are 3 more albums to go, one of which is techno-oriented, so that will be a good test of the hypothesis.

Anyway, that might partially explain the more limited catalog. Another obvious factor is that not all distributors work with Qobuz, especially among the distributors that inside labels and artists are likely to use.

I have started my free trial recently. Just via playback on my iphone I feel the quality is noticeably better than Spotify, though the Spotify App is superior (or at least more familiar).

Are there any cost efficient ways of playing the Amazon HD stream via my main system?

For Spotify I use an RPI4 plus Volumio with its usb out to my Rega Isis DAC input. As best I can tell the RPI cannot be adapted for the Amazon service yet.

A clumsy solution would be to make a physical connection by linking the iphone to the Apple camera adaptor (got one somewhere) thence to a dragonfly black (will retrieve from eldest son) and then to a line input on my preamp using a 3.5mm headphone to phono cable (to buy).

Are there any more elegant solutions (apart from buying a new streamer like a bluesound)?

I'm not a frequent user of Volumio but I think it has an Airplay plugin.

I know that Logitech Media Server does.

It is also possible (copy and paste the commands) to build Shairport-Sync on a raspberry pi. There is now a version using Airplay2

This also lets one stream Spotify via Airplay, it takes about 30 minutes

ronnie

I'm currently on a 3 month free Amazon music trial too. Am currently listening to Taj Mahal greatest hits in Ultra HD (whatever that means! I guess 24/96?) and it is sounding sublime. I am streaming via a CHROMECAST audio and using it's optical output to my dac. On the Amazon app there is an option to connect to devices - including Chromecast.

advertisement

Back